Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Suspension problems sorted
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Alphamale

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
Suspension problems sorted

Like many of us, I've been having suspension faults continuously popping up. Initially clearing faults would work, for a while, but inevitably they would return. Eventually I did a compressor strip down and rebuild with new seals and desiccant. Seemed to work for a few months, then reverted to giving the same problems. I gave it one more rebuild with a metal cap on the drier and ensured every thing was clean and well sealed but it didn't work and reverted to throwing up faults. The main fault being related to not providing enough pressure, though it never failed to rise and fall.

I'm almost sure that the problem could be related to ware in the pump cylinder. I know a similar problem occurred in the D2 compressor and a cylinder liner was available to sort it out. Not sure if it worked as I never tried it.

Anyway, 2 weeks ago I bit the bullet and bought and fitted a new 'Hitachi' compressor for £420 (wish I'd done it sooner). Suspension's working perfectly, no amber light every morning, or other unexpected times that cleared with the 'Nanocom'. If anything, it's a smoother, softer ride, even the 'Superpro' bushes in the front bottom arms don't feel as harsh and 30mph speed ramps go almost unnoticed.

Have to admit, though, after reading posts of the problems suffered by others here, I seem to have been lucky to only have had compressor related problems.

My next project is to fit original hydrabush lower control arms, now sitting in my workshop.

Post #200399726th Nov 2018 11:47 pm
Alphamale

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Following my renewal of the Hitachi compressor (with genuine Hitachi one) I decided to dismantle the old one to see what problems there were with the old one.

As I suspected, there was no hope of this compressor ever performing satisfactorily again, no matter how well it was rebuilt. I found the piston was slack in the cylinder and incapable of raising a good pressure, the piston ring was worn allowing air past. But worst of all there were signs of cylinder ware and piston slap.

Sometimes you just have to call time on doing repairs and buy new, just wish I'd done it ages ago. Car's not drive so comfortably for a lone time. And now with new new Hydra-bushed lower control arms it's even better.

Post #201831513th Jan 2019 8:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >