Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Suspension Stuck in Extended Mode,HELP!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
lee157

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Gary, the water leak was due to the sunroof and the clips on the front A piller cowlling not being replaced, the water was filling up the front driver and passenger footwells and running down the backs of the kick panels, it has been dry for 5 months now but i suspect the damage has allready been done if this is the case. The earthing points behind the front kick panels looked ok the last time i inspected them, approx 5 months ago when i put the trim back in.

When the car went in for the height sensor they had problems calibrating it and setting it up, which lead them to believe the ECU was the problem, the car is still with them.

Hopefully a pic of behind the front kick panel, if not there is few in my gallery.

Click image to enlarge

Lee[/code]

Post #49657016th Jul 2009 7:42 pm
GaryEss

United Kingdom 

Lee
There is a chance that water got into the ecu during the leak and has taken a while to cause internal corrosion and faults to appear.
Of course the same type of intermittent issues can also result from harness corrosion.
If they cannot use IDS to communicate with your new ecu then they should plug the old ecu back in while the non comm is present- if they can now communicate the fault is most likely not the harness, feed, ground or diagnostic tool.
If the old ecu has now lost comms as well then look to the harness, feed and grounds. To communicate with IDS the ecu needs 4 things- power supply. ground, communication lines (HSCAN from ecu to pins 14, 6 on then diag socket) to be working correctly. (no sc, oc or high resistance) plus correct and full configuration (operating software for ECU loaded in full, but height calibration is not necessary to achieve comms)
If you have a failed original ECU because of water ingress this would not explain why your new ecu will not comm with IDS, unless there is corrosion in the ecu harness plug.
good luck. gary

Post #49661116th Jul 2009 8:30 pm
GaryEss

United Kingdom 

Lee
further to this, all of our speculation and diagnostic thinking presuposes that the service advisor has actually given you an accurate description of the problems that they are facing- not all service advisors are technically minded..
Gary

Post #49661416th Jul 2009 8:34 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

lee157 wrote:
The earthing points behind the front kick panels looked ok the last time i inspected them, approx 5 months ago when i put the trim back in.

Lee, in my experience the only way to validate the integrity of an earth (or any other connection) is to dismantle it and look at the contact surfaces.
The outside might look good 'cos it's painted or dried quickly, but a thin film of water inside the joint can't so easily dry out and can corrode over a long time. If you're going to check the joints/connectors again, don't forget to wait for total car shutdown (parking brake lights etc off), then disconnect the battery. Just in case.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #49662716th Jul 2009 9:02 pm
lee157

Thanks guys,
I just can't believe that all this has snow balled from replacing the rear aircon pipes.
I seem to be in the lap of the gods here, well at least the lap of the dealers, Rolling Eyes

I wonder how long before i need the TFC 4th emergency service??

Lee

Post #49669517th Jul 2009 2:17 am
lee157

Just thought i'd say that the D3 is back safe and sound outside my house Mr. Green , don't know what the problem was, the dealer did say it was a comms problem from their computer to the new ECU etc. How true that is i don't know but it's all sorted and working again.

Thanks to all who posted a reply on this and thanks to Colliers Landrover, Brum, for sorting it Thumbs Up

Lee

Post #49702517th Jul 2009 6:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >