Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Swinging Weights?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
meolsen

Swinging Weights?

Maybe this is too amateurish - but what are the iron weights, behind the rear wheels, that are permitted to swing on a horizontal axle? Are these some kind of load balancing or are they for the hill descent sensors?

Strange stuff, this car.

Michael US

Post #19598th Apr 2005 4:31 am
BN

England 

The 40 Kgs of weights are connected to the vehicles on road dynamics, DSC etc. This has been covered on the forum and we are waiting for a full answer from land Rover. Keep watching the space, but sadly LR don't ever appear to reply.

Post #19638th Apr 2005 11:52 am
TonyH

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Has anyone found the answer to the reason for the rear end "weights"????
 *Disco3 7-seat Auto
March 2006
Zermatt silver
*Disco TD5 GS Manual
Epson Green
108,000 miles without a single problem
*Disco TD200 Manual
Bonatti Grey
55,000 trouble-free miles
*Various company cars, no comparison 

Post #4698911th Mar 2006 10:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
irf

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I believe that they are there to deal with some unwanted vibration/ resonance in the chassis

Post #4699311th Mar 2006 10:17 pm
grommet

United States 

The pendulum weights hanging in front of the rear bumper are to counteract resonate frequency vibrations coming off the frame of the truck. Really... covered/answered multiple times in many Discovery 3/LR3 forums, including this one.

Post #4700411th Mar 2006 11:51 pm
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

but surely all this resonance should have been catered for in the original frame design and made all up into the unit itself. I dont recall my D2 having lots of dangly bits coming off the frame. And nobody seems to have tackled the issue of the smaller spare wheel vs full size wheel forming part of the chassis crumple safety zone either- I want to know if NCAP crash tests are going to include both the full size & safety wheel - to see what happens with both .
 Bow downSheep 2007 TDV6 HSE 'Silver Lady'. With 'free' privacy glass LOL.
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #4700612th Mar 2006 12:12 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

No, but your D2 had big lumps of iron stuck on the differential housings to dampen the propshaft vibration, So I guess LR have some form in this area.

Post #4700912th Mar 2006 12:38 am
randalls

hence I am pulling lumps of iron around that should have been engineered out- yes the D2 & D3 are going to be probably similar in this area then.
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #4701512th Mar 2006 1:26 am
irf

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

My Merc ML also had lumps of iron attached by rubber to the centre diff so it's not just LRs

Post #4708512th Mar 2006 2:18 pm
mudplugger

England 

As an engineer (not automotive) I reckon that sometimes a simple solution to a vibration issue (like adding mass) is the best way...

Remember that when the international space station crews first met (Russian & US) the Americans gave the Cosmonauts a Fischer positive pressure Space Pen - to allow them to write notes in zero G. The cost of development of this pen was $2m.
The Russians were grateful but quizzical and just said "whats wrong with our pencils ?" Laughing

FWIW, I also had a Porsche 911 and it had huge counterbalance weights in the front bumper... but they were to help stop you leaving the road...!!

Muddy
 From a two Land Rover household to one big FFRR...

Range Rover Vogue TDV8
Shogun SWB 4Work
Steyr M9094 Tractor

(Still a D3 fan though!) 

Post #4712312th Mar 2006 7:11 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

My 3.2 DSG TT had lead weights behind the bumper and the battery located in the boot to help with 'balance' issues. You should see the extra metal in the Censored end of a Rolls-Royce too.

All makes of cars use this method of 'refinement'. Come to think of it, my 'company' aircraft uses depleted uranium in the tail...

Post #4713012th Mar 2006 8:07 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Did someone mention NCAP saftey tests ? Is it only me who is slightly surprised, disappointed and suspcious that the D3 still hasn't got an NCAP rating despite now being almost 18 months old ? Neither does the RRS after 9 months. The New Jeep Grand Cherokee had an NCAP rating on or very shortly after its launch date. Should we be worried, as a poor rating will see residuals drop sharply. The Jeep Voyager instantly lost £5k a unit when its NCAP came out lower than expected - which is probably why Jeep now design in saftey and get the stars to show for it from the outset. The D3 was supposed to be designed for saftey with a 5 star rating for passengers on the designers wish list (one of the reasons she is so stiff and heavy) but why hasn't that yet been tested or at least the test results published Question
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #4713512th Mar 2006 8:27 pm
randalls

yes it was me. I was asking about the (small) spare wheel issue in any crash tests. I read the theory behind the NCAP crash tests and it strikes me there are two significant flaws in this system.

1. is in all crash tests it's assumed the vehicle striking the vehicle in test will be of a similar size & weight. So what are the chances of that in reality ? to me this means that smaller cars are given similar crash ratings to a larger car when in fact they could be easily compromised by being hit by a larger vehicle - this simply is not accounted for in the NCAP tests.

2. the star system looks like a hotel badging system to me and is equally open to abuse. Comparing An airbag system from one manufacturer to another is often like comparing chalk to cheese, as they often operate in very different ways, the NCAP stars are very generalised.

Post #4714312th Mar 2006 9:23 pm
SN

...may be LR are worried that a negative( Wink ) pedestrian safety rating (lets be honest, you don't want to be run over by one of these things) is going to be counter-productive...
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4714712th Mar 2006 9:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Maybe they don't feel the need to do so in order to sell their vehicles !

unlike Renault Laughing

Post #4715412th Mar 2006 10:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >