Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Sycamore Gap: Boy, 16, arrested after Hadrian's tree felled
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

HWN wrote:

My tenth birthday present was a sheath-knife.

I got one for my 50th birthday. Friends, knowing I like shooting and "country stuff", bought me a Buck (the maker's name) knife. Of course, the occasions it can be legally taken out in a public place are rather limited so it sits on my desk doing nothing knifey. I could take it out with me when shooting, I suppose, but my little Opinel is more practical for that as it folds and goes in a pocket so easily.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #234910429th Sep 2023 3:12 pm
HWN

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

My Opinel is illegal to carry in a public space [without a good reason] because turning the sleeve by the hinge locks the blade into position Sad I do worry about having it on me by accident, such as nipping to the dump.

Having seen some more photographs of the tree, it's a pretty good job.

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2006 RRS - C'est mort. Fin...  ...It's alive!  Oh no, it's not - scrapped.
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
2017 RamRod Taskmaster 1150
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #234912229th Sep 2023 5:25 pm
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Man in his 60's arrested

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-66966187
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #234913229th Sep 2023 8:23 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

HWN wrote:
"Modern London doing as modern London does".

In the 1980s or before, a death by machete would have been major news for weeks. Big knives and machetes seem to be as common as penknives used to be and the threshold for using them very low.

My tenth birthday present was a sheath-knife. I and many of my friends walked about with them on our belts (out of school) but knew that if we used them inappropriately there would be very serious consequences.

The YT videos on this event have mostly elected to disallow comments; those that do have endless comments about guessing the ethnicity of the perpetrator.

Of course proportionately the West Midlands has the highest incidence of knife crime in the UK ....but lets not get the ethnicity or politics of the mayor there to cloud London's situ eh
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #234914429th Sep 2023 10:12 pm
HairyFool

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Off topic but...

Since when does the ethnicity of the mayor have anything to do with his willingness to spend a fortune on signage and a centralised A.N.P.R. sytem using hundreds of cameras vs spending on crime prevention and fighting deprivation in the capital? The office of mayor has direct responsibility for policing budgets in London, he is not responsible for policing in the West Midlands

Is it all about improving air quality or a revenue generator? I think he should be taken to court over the use of data on vehicle ownership for purposes other than intended under GDPR.
 A visitor from the dark side, my other vehicle is an MG5 EV  
Post #234914629th Sep 2023 10:34 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

DG wrote:
HWN wrote:
"Modern London doing as modern London does".

In the 1980s or before, a death by machete would have been major news for weeks. Big knives and machetes seem to be as common as penknives used to be and the threshold for using them very low.

My tenth birthday present was a sheath-knife. I and many of my friends walked about with them on our belts (out of school) but knew that if we used them inappropriately there would be very serious consequences.

The YT videos on this event have mostly elected to disallow comments; those that do have endless comments about guessing the ethnicity of the perpetrator.

Of course proportionately the West Midlands has the highest incidence of knife crime in the UK ....but lets not get the ethnicity or politics of the mayor there to cloud London's situ eh

At what point in that post did Hugh mention the ethnicity of London's mayor?
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #234914929th Sep 2023 10:47 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

HairyFool wrote:
Off topic but...

Since when does the ethnicity of the mayor have anything to do with his willingness to spend a fortune on signage and a centralised A.N.P.R. sytem using hundreds of cameras vs spending on crime prevention and fighting deprivation in the capital? The office of mayor has direct responsibility for policing budgets in London, he is not responsible for policing in the West Midlands

Is it all about improving air quality or a revenue generator? I think he should be taken to court over the use of data on vehicle ownership for purposes other than intended under GDPR.

Which cameras in London or the "West Midlands" cover Hadrian's Wall? Just asking for a friend...
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #234915029th Sep 2023 10:49 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

RRSTDV8 wrote:

At what point in that post did Hugh mention the ethnicity of London's mayor?

I must just be guilty of thought crime ...my bad Whistle
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #234915229th Sep 2023 10:59 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

HairyFool wrote:
Off topic but...

Is this to do with a tree in Northumberland improving the air quality v crime prevention in London? Magical tree Rolling Eyes ...btw no one give s Censored about thousands of trees that are felled across the UK every day ..just because this one was in a 'pretty place' few in this country really give a Censored about trees tbh
Post #234915930th Sep 2023 12:17 am
pjm-84

Ukraine 

I do....

Post #234916030th Sep 2023 12:25 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

And me and I suspect many others.

Anyway, interesting tangent you've taken the thread down DG. Rolling Eyes
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #234916130th Sep 2023 1:12 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Tangent arrived arrived at and engaged with 17 posts ago tbh ....interesting Whistle
Post #234916330th Sep 2023 3:44 am
Discologist

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

DG wrote:
[Is this to do with a tree in Northumberland improving the air quality v crime prevention in London? Magical tree Rolling Eyes ...btw no one give s Censored about thousands of trees that are felled across the UK every day ..just because this one was in a 'pretty place' few in this country really give a Censored about trees tbh

The difference is that most of the thousands of trees felled in the UK every day are grown as a crop, not lone, naturally grown specimens in a beautiful and well-known location visited by a million or more people each year.

Post #234917530th Sep 2023 8:45 am
JordsDisco

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 3.0 SDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Much to my surprise, I tend to agree with DG.

That said, why not consider a transplant if that what people want? It’s almost an instant replacement and give the culprit the bill.

Click image to enlarge

Post #234917930th Sep 2023 9:03 am
HWN

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Every day mature native trees are cut down and turned into wood pellets. Trees that are hundreds of years old and that are ecosystems in their own right cut down, cut up and sacrificed to the green agenda. Rows of Beech trees are considered as a hedge and, therefore, fair game; For a couple of hundred quid, a farmer will let a "diseased" tree go and gain sunlight on their grass at the same time. This is all encouraged by government policies, explicitly or as a side-effect. Near me, 400 acres of farmland is being planted with coniferous trees for the sake of carbon-capture. The 6% tax on revenue from woodland is just a happy by-product for the big corporation behind it.

When I went to buy some oak timber last year, reduced supply had driven prices high and the most available oak was French.

Knife crime? There are many factors but a lack of accountability of individuals, communities, counties or whatever level you choose to look at is a significant factor. Young people haven't developed a world-view in which they understand the potential effects on them, or on other people, if they use a knife. Whereas a few decades ago, their peers and adults might have intervened, that no longer happens - people see it as someone else's problem (blame the Police but don't support the Police). Arguably, the biggest gang in London is the Met, so why don't we see them piling into buses or 'steaming' other gangs to confiscate knives and weapons? It is frightening that even a minor disagreement with the wrong person can escalate into a stabbing (though whether a machete 'stabs' is a moot point). Want to win a fight where everyone has knives? Take the next step and use a gun. Maybe we (as a society) do need to talk about cultural aspects? If there are none, that'd be the end of that; if there are, it could be the first step in finding a solution. Before my time, it used to be the Teddy Boy sub-culture with flick-knives; in the 70's and 80's it was the football hooligan sub-culture with Stanley knives. That Police officers all round the country have to wear stab-vests is not a sign of a society progressing.

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2006 RRS - C'est mort. Fin...  ...It's alive!  Oh no, it's not - scrapped.
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
2017 RamRod Taskmaster 1150
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #234918230th Sep 2023 9:07 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >