Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Tail gate failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 10 <12345678910
Hendreladis

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Maybe a new version of the tail gate problem?

Along with everyone else on this forum I have just gone through the ritual of fixing the tailgate problem on a Discovery 3 but it still won't open. Whoopee.

In the beginning. No response from fob or, at best, a partial release of the upper tailgate that allowed me to rattle it around and irritate the trapped dog. Buttons on dash board trick etc etc didn't resolve it.

Intermittent response from the switch so replaced that. No solution so double checked the scrapped switch which was functioning perfectly according to the multimeter. Opted to pull apart the tailgate and replace the actuator. Having gone through the hassle of that it was obvious that the one being replaced was actually pretty new and just as good as the replacement. Pressed the magic buttons . . . nothing.

Cut the new switch back out to double check the connections. That was fine.

Punch wall, punch car, punch dog etc. (he just bit me - git).

Return to vehicle. Press the switch again in desperation. Nothing. Pull cable on actuator with pliers to see that the lock mechanism doesn't release properly EVEN THOUGH THERE IS FULL/ADEQUATE TRAVEL on the solenoid. The rubberised coating on the latching part of the lock was a bit scabby so pulled that off as best as possible with pliers to see if that freed up the mechanism. Sort of worked but it looks as though there is no 'resilience' in the workings. Press the button on the tailgate and bingo. Lock un-latches ten times out of ten when set in to place with a screw-driver.

Re-fit lock mech to lower tailgate. Latch in and out with screw driver but only get intermittent response to the button - unlocks three times in ten?? Sometimes the button elicits a click noise. When it does the door opens but most of the time nothing happens.

All this time the upper tailgate is open or 'up.'

Smother lock with grease, refit all the trim etc and close the car up. Tailgate then responds to the key and opens five out of five.

Smoke cigars, high five the wife, kiss dog (he just bit me again). Success. It worked. Hooray!

Except it didn't. Go back to car ten minutes later and back to square one.

Has anyone experienced a return spring (or whatever the technical term may be) going in the latch? The solenoid is new. The switch is new.

Does the lock need to be fully latched shut to activate some sort of circuit that the tailgate switch will then respond to? Could it be the electrical gizmo on the latching mechanism itself that has failed?

The electrics? Seems an intermittent electrical fault. Some forums have suggested that a short might be occurring under the driver's seat. How would I check for that?

Hate this car. And the dog hates me because he has to clamber over the seats via the rear door into the boot. The indignity . . .

Is the best solution just to set fire to the car? Will that solve the problem?

To recap:

New lock
New actuator
Appears to be intermittent electrical problem
BUT
the lock mechanism doesn't 'spring' open as I would expect it to - but that shouldn't manifest itself as an electrical gremlin

Post #187239725th Oct 2017 9:12 pm
irl32

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Discovery 3 lower tailgate release button replacement

Hi all
Need advice on replacing the lower tailgate release switch mine sticking so want to change out before it goes
Pics or videos would be great if available
Cheers.
Dermot

Post #192611214th Mar 2018 2:24 pm
harsab

Norway 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

I assume Hendreladis problem has been solved long time ago, otherwise my guess is a voltage drop that makes it hard for the electrical motor to move the "piston" as it should.

If you are able to measure the voltage as close to the motor as possible you will get the answer.
A second option could be to unplug the electrical connector at end of motor and make a temp wiring, then you can feed 12V from a 12V outlet to test the functionality of your release mecanisme.
If you activate the motor several times, the sound of the motor should be the same each time. If its getting weaker after some runs it might be because a contaminated motor as described at page 9 in this tread.

Post #192625814th Mar 2018 9:44 pm
Ben4

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

just to check.
with the top part of the tailgate not opening I need to remove the interior trim from the lower interior tailgate panel?

is that correct? that the actuator for the locking mechanism is actually situated in the lower part of the tailgate?
 formerly Disco3Ben

2016 D4, Santorini Black
2007 D3, Black - sold 

Post #200986916th Dec 2018 9:08 pm
Ben4

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

can someone confirm please before I go tearing my car apart!
thanks Smile
 formerly Disco3Ben

2016 D4, Santorini Black
2007 D3, Black - sold 

Post #201006217th Dec 2018 1:36 pm
Ben4

with the help of Junior today we got the tailgate open, so then popped off both interior panels.

I wanted to check that the new lock in the upper tailgate had both wires connected - it did, so wasn't something obvious.

wiggled all connections top and bottom and manually moved the release cable - all seemed ok.
then it started working again! so didn't put the panels back on but shut the boot.

tried it - didn't work.

When pushing the two buttons inside it works after about 7 seconds - so that would suggest the actuator works.
The switch in the upper tailgate is recently new - so how does the signal get from there to the actuator?
I think that must be the weak link.

(with the sticky grey foam layer already being partly torn away it would suggest that someone has been in there before - possibly replacing the actuator?)

Any thoughts most welcome.....[/b]
 formerly Disco3Ben

2016 D4, Santorini Black
2007 D3, Black - sold 

Post #201025417th Dec 2018 9:03 pm
Ben4

I've bought the latch mechanism.

But now I'm having doubts - does it only release the lower gate once the top is open?
or does it trigger the actuator to pop the top gate open?

Confusing myself now!
 formerly Disco3Ben

2016 D4, Santorini Black
2007 D3, Black - sold 

Post #201098519th Dec 2018 5:31 pm
Ben4

Figured it out, no idea how it got trapped or how I didn’t spot it before.

Checked out the actuator and switch mechanism and all seemed in good order.
But a welcome change to be able to return the expensive parts that I didn’t need to fit Smile
 formerly Disco3Ben

2016 D4, Santorini Black
2007 D3, Black - sold 

Post #201210623rd Dec 2018 1:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 10 of 10 <12345678910
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >