DISCO4.COM > General

Tailgate lock replacement advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MikeC

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Baltic BlueDiscovery 3
Tailgate lock replacement advice

Hi,

The upper part of my rear tailgate on discovery3 is struggling to open. When i pull the handle to open boot i hear the mechanism attempt to open but generally it doesnt. Anyway, I got it open yesterday of its own accord (rather than holding lock/unluck bottons on dash and pulling). I used a screwdriver and found that the lock in the middle of the tailgate is struggling (corresponds to LR017470 in the diagram: https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/tailgate...73-c.asp). I took the trim off the top of the tailgate and popped off the carpeted flap as much as possible to take a look. The section containing the aforementioned part is covered by some sort of thin foam material that is glued over the square hole. I just wanted to check, but presumably i am ok to just rip that off to gain proper access to the mechanism? Is it ok to just leave that hole open after i finish work? I do not yet know whether I need LR017470 or perhaps FUG500010, but i presume that both of those are housed in behind that piece of foam? Apologies, I can perhaps get some pictures tonight if my explanation is unclear (if i can get it open).

Thanks for your help.

Best,

Michael

Post #215409915th Jun 2020 12:43 pm
ianm27

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Hi Mike, yes perfectly OK to rip that thin foam covering - it is the only way to access the actuator.

Once all is fixed and working you can either leave the rips as are or tape together with duct tape or equivalent.
 Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
Limo Tint
Blackvue front & rear dashcam
Cruise control switch pack
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #215410015th Jun 2020 12:48 pm
MikeC

Thanks!

I will get my endoscope out tonight and see if theres anything obvious. Presumably though i will need to remove the regulator (FUG500010) and check that the latch cable is properly seated inside it (from the diagram it would appear that i must remove the casing off the regulator to do this?). Unless my latch (LR017470) has a lot of dirt in it (WD40 didnt seem to help). Would rather not have to order both parts if i can help it.

Best,

Michael

Post #215410315th Jun 2020 1:00 pm
Randylover

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

You will need the actuator, the solenoid gets tired and weak, I had the same problem on mine

Andy
 05 TDV6,"S" in all colourcoded Zermatt silver,7 seats winter pack HK 6cd stereo,Dual climate,Xenons,

Mods:
Re-Con Engine,De-Tango,Reverse camera,Fog/DRl lights,Aux Battery, perm Aux socket in boot,LED Volt meters in roof panel,Built in tom tom, Strobes fitted in grille, Aux switches for trailer lights fitted in roof panel,Roof Rails,Grille conversion 

Post #215410615th Jun 2020 1:13 pm
SteveKK

Ukraine 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

If the lock mechanism is stiff this can be removed easily once the panel is off.

I added an emergency release cable yesterday on my D4 and will try to product a how-to document. It operates directly on the lock, so if the wiring or actuator fails you can still open the upper tailgate.

Regards,
Steve

Post #215411215th Jun 2020 1:36 pm
MikeC

Ok so i followed this excellent how to:
https://disco3.co.uk/forum/tailgate-latch-...lgate+wire

The regulator/actuator superficially looked fine.

However, upon removing the lock i found there is a plastic coating over the metal latch and that had worn. the flap gets caught and stops the lock sliding properly in the latch mechanism. I tried trimming off the plastic but theres a bit of play in the latch mechanism also (which is presumably why it wore away). So i have ordered a new latch.
Click image to enlarge

SteveKK, was your mod similar to this one?
https://disco3.co.uk/forum/tail-gate-actua...lgate+wire

Best,

Michael

Post #215422515th Jun 2020 8:24 pm
SteveKK

Ukraine 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Michael,

Similar, but closer to
https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...elease.pdf

I used a metal P-Clip to secure the outer sheaf and inner after looping the inner through the 2mm hole.

My main deviation from the excellent PDF guide was using a D3/4 bonnet release cable within the cabin.

The link you showed works fine, but if the load area is full you might struggle to access the cable. Where I positioned the handle is highly unlikely to be difficult to access at any time.

Regards,
Steve[/url]

Post #215439916th Jun 2020 1:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >