Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

A tale of 2 disco's......
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
tomo47

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
A tale of 2 disco's......

Got to share this, I know we all get problems with our lovely disco's, but I think my 2 are competing for attention.....

2 disco's, 56 (190,000 miles) and 57 plate (150,000 miles). 57 plate newly acquired, 56 plate my old faithful.... Both due MOT now. I love them both. My missus loves 56 one so much I couldn't get my hands on it so had to go out and buy my own....

Put 57 in for MOT 2 weeks ago, failed on front lower wishbone bush forward bush.....rear ones already been polybushed....no problem, poly the front bushes too....only I had to drive to Glasgow to work for 2 weeks the very next day (I wasn't expecting a fail, it looked well kept when I checked it over before buying it) and I was planning on using it - so i elected to take the 56 plate. Job done, fix the 57 when I get back and re-mot. Then mot the 56 when that's due. Unloaded my toolboxes from 57 and loaded 56 up.

Drove to Glasgow in 56....well, part of the way, got to Birmingham, Coolant warning.....checked about, the plastic coolant outlet housing top of the block was leaking (as they do)......nursed it back to S wales, topping up as I went along....happy days, no overheating, I'd caught it in time.

Except I now had 2 disco's, neither of which would get me to Glasgow in time for my shift next day....so I unloaded 56, and loaded up and jumped in the Mondeo that I was planning to sell on (the 57 was to replace it) but hadn't got around to - luckily....and got to work.

Whilst in Glasgow, ordered poly bushes for 57, and new water outlet and water pump for good measure for the 56. And a cambelt kit for 56, as it's close enough to due. All delivered home safely waiting on my return.

Back home yesterday, started the water job on 56. New water pump in, new water outlet fitted.....noted that the new outlet only had the 2 new o ring seals for the flanges, not one for the oil cooler stack but having read it's not unusual to just lubricate the old seal on the stack and fit the new outlet I did just that with a little trepidation. Rebuilt and started car, water Censored from the outlet where the stack pipe comes up from the oil cooler bit....just cosmic!

Stripped back down and removed the new outlet, removed the seal from the stack - it was a snug fit in the old leaky stack, but a bit slack in the new replacement which I got from ebay.....just my luck.....started ringing around to get a new o ring, nobody can get me one. To hedge my bets I ordered a new outlet from Brit Parts to see if the old seal would fit that OK the next day, in the meantime bought a box of o rings from halfords - the only 2 large o rings in the box looked about right, fitted one, rebuilt car, started up - no leaks, result. I'll keep the outlet from brit parts for 57 and fit it before that one goes .....

In the meantime because I'm stretched for time, I elected to delay the cambelt change until everything is MOT'd....getting fast at stripping the front of the engine down now anyway...

So, last night, I'm halfway to having 2 disco's ready for MOT, 57 having already failed once - but I'm doing the bushes in the morning, so no sweat.

Up early today, 56 sat ready for MOT, 57 in the garage on stands....but not before I noticed a pool of oil beneath it.....took a while but bushes replaced (wishbone bolts not seized but new set on standby in case, nearside bush literally fell apart), determined it's gearbox oil leaking out, gearbox sump guard off, yes, it's the mechatronic plug on the gear box which has suddenly without cause or coercion decided to spill oil out. Great. And at the back of my mind now having been educated on this very forum is the fact that I really need to replace the engine oil pump as it's highly likely to be the shabby weak version that snaps at the cambelt tensioner mount - not changed at the last cambelt change, I checked today......I knew that cambelt kit for 56 would come in handy....

OK, so I'm now looking at getting a replacement metal gearbox sump with the upgraded electrical plug and a load of oil....should be able to get it delivered and MOT 57 next week, I'm comfortable knowing that 56 is sat ready to go for test tomorrow.....MOT booked, have a brew....

Not 1 hour ago, I jumped into 56 to nip out and pick up my mig welder that I'd loaned to a mate a couple of miles away.....reversing down the drive I noticed the red brake warning on the dashboard....pedal feels a bit spongy too......brake fluid low....had a look underneath - considerable amount of brake fluid everywhere near the rear diff, can't really see exactly where due to a combination of it being dark and the tears of frustration welling up in my eyes, but I'm confident that I'm doing a front to rear brake line replacement tomorrow.....

So, am I just having a run of bad luck, or are they both actually competing for attention?

As an aside, 57 has started smelling inside like something's died in there.....can't find anything dead or otherwise.....

Anyway, I've knocked the tea on the head and have cracked a tin of lager open......I don't have a Hamlet to hand, but if i did.....

Post #19971011st Nov 2018 7:03 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I don't know if you are aware.

rear brake pipes are a fiddle on these.

Most join it at the back. And use a hand held flare tool.

Otherwise its a body off job

Post #19971031st Nov 2018 7:14 pm
Sea Raider

I'm having issues with the water outlet
I replaced mine as I had slight leakage lying on top of the oil cooler
Couldn't source an O ring
The O ring fitted looks a lot wider than normal ones.
Can you tell me what ones you got from Halfords?

Here's my thread

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/water-conne...76285.html

Post #19971041st Nov 2018 7:14 pm
tomo47

Pete K wrote:
I don't know if you are aware.

rear brake pipes are a fiddle on these.

Most join it at the back. And use a hand held flare tool.

Otherwise its a body off job

Thanks Pete,

I'll be doing that then....any pointers to a union connector? I've got a handful of male unions for the flexi hose ends and similar but never bought a connector for splicing steel to copper pipes....?

Mind you, the mood i'm in tonight I could kick the body off it without undoing the bolts Laughing

Edited: found some.....

Last edited by tomo47 on 1st Nov 2018 7:48 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #19971071st Nov 2018 7:21 pm
tomo47

Sea Raider wrote:
I'm having issues with the water outlet
I replaced mine as I had slight leakage lying on top of the oil cooler
Couldn't source an O ring
The O ring fitted looks a lot wider than normal ones.
Can you tell me what ones you got from Halfords?

Here's my thread

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/water-conne...76285.html

It's this one....

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/ga...ed-o-rings

It's the biggest of the rings in the box, there were only 2 in the box I bought, not sure if that's normal...only needed one though Wink

Post #19971091st Nov 2018 7:23 pm
Sea Raider

Cheers

Can you confirm you replaced this one

Post #19971111st Nov 2018 7:27 pm
tomo47

That's the very one....I rang around a few places and nobody could identify it....I can only assume it comes with the oil cooler maybe.....

Post #19971141st Nov 2018 7:31 pm
Sea Raider

Problem being the O ring on the oil cooler costs north of £300 with a free oil cooler thrown in Mr. Green

Just bought the last box from Halfords so job for the morning

Post #19971301st Nov 2018 8:11 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/recommend-b...rake+flare

Read all

Post #19971331st Nov 2018 8:14 pm
tomo47

Thanks Pete

Post #19971341st Nov 2018 8:17 pm
tomo47

Sea Raider wrote:
Problem being the O ring on the oil cooler costs north of £300 with a free oil cooler thrown in Mr. Green

Just bought the last box from Halfords so job for the morning

Fingers crossed, it worked for me....

Post #19971351st Nov 2018 8:18 pm
tomo47

Quick note for what it's worth, I repaired the brake pipes today, they had blown where they go up over that back axle, particularly where they clip up....down to the plastic coating eroding I guess.

I had purchased a set of steel replacements that are designed to splice in at the exhaust box under the heatshield, excellent quality and mega quick delivery from Advanced Factors (along with the oil pump and the cam belt kit for the other disco, thanks AF, big thumbs up), But in the end after trying for ever to feed them in on axle stands I gave in and knocked some up from copper pipe (nothing to do with the quality of the steel pipes, more my restricted access and impatience....)

Was concerned that my cheapo budget pipe flare kit would struggle with the existing steel pipes where they were cut, but in the end it was no problem, they flared a treat!

Only problem left is the pipe retaining clips, they don't want to stay on the bolt tails due to the tails being corroded.....that's a job for tomorrow, along with checking the handbrake shoe adjustment whilst the wheels are off - lesson learned from the other disco.

Big thumbs up again to AF, thanks for the quick delivery Thumbs Up

Post #19975803rd Nov 2018 7:00 pm
tomo47

Quick update, if only to prove that there is a silver lining to some clouds....

56 flew the MOT today, and 57 passed last week but it's now up on stands whilst I change the oil pump for the upgraded one (halfway through it, rebuilding now) ....

So it's close to the time when they are both back on the road, which will no doubt give them opportunity to throw some suspension faults at me probably..... Laughing

Just wanted to say a big thanks for all who have answered questions for me, and also those of you who have put some pretty impressive write ups on on here covering the jobs I've been doing - I'll have a pint for you all tonight Thumbs Up

Cheers, Rich.

Post #19983706th Nov 2018 7:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >