Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

TDV6 Jaguar ---> Land Rover
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Well air con pump, not really.. as i can buy OEM Denso Pumps at a Trade Price within our motorcycle parts Network..... allready ordered it..

Torque converter although is another „thing“ indeed...

I am still not 100% sure if i Need to Change it.... this motor Has only 98k Miles on its clock.. but a few of them in australia, it‘s been there twice in it‘s Life.... i do not know the impact of That... but it has judder when i Floor the pedal.... the Auto Box maybe just is in Need of Fresh oil And a new Filter... ( I have a filter kit ready for fitting) I had also a fault code on one of the injectors.... which can also be of influence

The thing is... it does not drive now, so I can not test it with new oil... and when the body is of and engine out... a good moment to change the torque converter...... dilemma....... hmmm
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #21257884th Mar 2020 11:57 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Id also add glow plugs and cam chain tensioners to your list as they are always an item that will need to be replaced at some point on the TDV6 - at least if you need to remove the heads to get the glow plus out its nice and easy with the engine on a stand. The Plastic cam chain tensioners can be prone to failure and certainly they loose effectiveness so add to the overall engine rattles if they dont fail.
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #21257985th Mar 2020 1:08 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

sounds like you do need a TC

Post #21258765th Mar 2020 1:14 pm
Motolab

darrind wrote:
Id also add glow plugs and cam chain tensioners to your list as they are always an item that will need to be replaced at some point on the TDV6 - at least if you need to remove the heads to get the glow plus out its nice and easy with the engine on a stand. The Plastic cam chain tensioners can be prone to failure and certainly they loose effectiveness so add to the overall engine rattles if they dont fail.

yeahh but there i draw the line... if needed that can be done later on.. and since the engine has not done too many miles.. i have to draw a line some were.. Big Cry
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #21258985th Mar 2020 3:23 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

If you are removing the head, you really need to do the glow plugs.

Post #21259335th Mar 2020 7:39 pm
Motolab

Yeahh true ....but.... I am NOT removing the heads of this JAG engine now..

There is no reason for it...
 Best regards
Harold

Post #21259455th Mar 2020 8:44 pm
Motolab

the OEM Denso arrived today....

Best regards
Harold

Post #21260576th Mar 2020 2:52 pm
Motolab

last week i did change also the main bearings... all "old" ones looking good although, no real wear like on the big-end shells..

since both engine with 68K mls and the one with 123K mls have only wear spots on the Big-end shells and not on the main bearings, i am very curious what i will find exactly on the engine with bearing trouble, but that is for later..

since i am waiting for 2 weeks now for a OEM seal adapter to mount the front seal and it is still not arrived..
i made my own adapter tool this morning... from a hard plastic medicine bottle, in the lathe, and it works!

i can cancel the tool now, saves me a 70 quid! Thumbs Up

Best regards
Harold

Post #212793614th Mar 2020 2:51 pm
Motolab

to make this topic, what to change JAG--LR, complete, a few additional findings..
The JAG engine uses a smaller belt for the airconpump, alternator, PAS pump etc. so they all need incl. the main (crankshaft) pulley to be taken of your old LR engine, not diffucult, but keep it in mind.

the difference can bee seen here:

new Denso for LR left, JAG denso right..

what i also did not realise myself until i tried to mount the extra support roller the LR uses for its accessory belt, is that the main distributor beltcover is different... (ofcourse) the JAG has a "OPEN" cover, where the LR has a "SEALED" cover... including a seal on the cranckshaft pulley.... very thoughtfull

JAG cover

LR Cover

The plastic main coolant connection at the crankcase is also different (JAG twin connection, LR one connection)

so all toghether (for a Pre middle '08 JAG engine):

from top to bottom

-Everything regarding fuel can be kept.
-Crankcase breatersystem has to be changed incl pipe work (10 min Job) UPDATE: NOT needed!
-Oilfeed for the turbo has to be replaced to single turbo feed (10 min job)
-EGR'can be kept, exept one elbow pipe (right elbow has to be changed from log to short)
-Exhaust manifolds have to be changed (60 mins incl cleaning)
-Coolant connection on crankcase has to be changed
-all belt driven accessory's (front) have to be replaced incl accessory crankpulley
-a extra support roller has to be mounted
-a Fan mounting support incl bearing has to be mounted
-Primary belt cover has to be replaced
-Ladderframe incl dipstick has to be changed (time depends on the cleaning etc. you have to do.. not difficult, but you want to do a proper and clean job here)
-Sump has to be the deep LR type
-Turbo and cross overpipe ofcourse..
-Engine supports on both sides

what i did "extra":
-New mainbearing shells (incl new side support bolts (these side bolts, they are too soft for re use)
-New big-end shells incl new conrod bolts
-New oilpump incl seal
-New Cambelt incl rollerkit
-New HpFp belt kit
-New Waterpump (easy now and cheap anyway)
-New bolts for support rollers and tensioner
-New Aircon pump (because if needed later, pain in the Censored job then)
-New Turbo cassette (not needed but ..easy now)
-New Alternator (not needed but...)
 Best regards
Harold

Last edited by Motolab on 5th Apr 2020 10:53 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #212922118th Mar 2020 6:56 pm
Ekvall

Sweden 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

I’m in the middle of the same jobb but my d3 is a 2008 and the ”new” jag-engine is a 2006 with 160 000km and i need to swap EVERYTHING over as nothing is the same except for the ac bracket.

I didn’t plan to change main/bigend bearings but after a found a endpiece of the thrust bearing where it should’nt be it was just to order new bearings and have 2 new weeks of down time, matbe more as all the boarders around Sweden are closed (including our own as tonight) Crying or Very sad

I opted for the engine out without removing the body, not even the front end and doing the job in my gravel driveway, a bit fiddly but not by far impossible, took 8.5h and then the engine was sitting in the stand.

Hopefully i will get my bearings by mars 25th and then it will be full speed ahead with wrenching again!

I wish you luck with your swap and would like to say thanks for the link to that dutch company that sells tubo cores Bow down

Post #212926418th Mar 2020 9:01 pm
Motolab

Hi Ekval,

Regarding the turbo parts.. You are welcome.... thanks.

Yes.. EU4 LR is a different story indeed.. OR you should take a XF JAG engine.regarding the fuel parts...

Regarding the main bearings .... my experience was that 50% off the bolts in the picture underneath did stretch before the needed Nm was reached! (So will break)

So order them also new! Before they break... if they do break, it is a very “interesting” job to remove the broken pieces... (you do not want that to happen)
 Best regards
Harold

Last edited by Motolab on 18th Mar 2020 10:21 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #212927018th Mar 2020 9:26 pm
Ekvall

Sweden 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Will replace them as well, it will be with bolts with 8.8 or 10.9 grade from my local specialized hardware store though.
A bit interesting to fight the urge not to replace all bolts with ARP studs as my usual engine builds Wink

Post #212927218th Mar 2020 9:37 pm
Motolab

Engine ready for transplant..

Today we started with the body-off job.... 5 working hours later...

Never done it before, but with disco-mikey’s “how to” rather straight forward... I am satisfied untill now..

This D3 was a rather low mileage one BUT travelled twice in it’s life from Europe to Australia... I presume by boat, but it did see some red sand for sure..... it is everywere... Shocked

What on the picture looks like rust, is red sand... and luckily NO rust! It is really in very good shape underneath.

I removed the thickest layers of sand with a broom and vacuum cleaner.. tomorrow I will have a peek inside the fuel tank for sand residu, now I have the chance, and further with the engine transplant.. (and new brake pipes, brake hoses, turbo hoses, auto gearbox filter, new torque converter, etc. Etc..
 Best regards
Harold

Post #213311630th Mar 2020 6:02 pm
Ivan

United Kingdom 

That Aussie Red Sand does get everywhere. When I bought my original Disco 1 back from Australia, the Red Sand was still falling out of the headlining 5 years later

Ivan
 2013 RR Vogue SE SDV8
2013 Freelander 2 HSE Luxury SD4 

Post #213327431st Mar 2020 9:15 am
Motolab

Engine & Gearbox are out!

more red sand... 8)
 Best regards
Harold

Post #213328431st Mar 2020 9:47 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >