Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Tensioner pulley bearings - normal to go at 15k?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
discoBizz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Tensioner pulley bearings - normal to go at 15k?

Hi all,

could I please pick your brains on this one Confused :

following my post here about a strange vibration and having read ridgeback_moor's DIY fix here, I took the engine cover off today to inspect my tensioner pulley visually (edit: this wasn't needed, the pulley is visible with the cover on as well - DOH!), in hope of determining what the cause of the vibration is. I've uploaded some footage here (didn't know if I could/should upload straight to the forum).

My questions are:
    -is the pulley indeed rotating off-centre or is it my impression
    -is it normal for the bearings to go at just only over 15k on the clock?
    -assuming it is (off-centre), will this be covered under warranty
    -if it's not (though I'll fight for it Evil or Very Mad ), any clue as to parts/labour costs?
    -how dangerous is to drive the car for say another 500 miles?

Many thanks in advance Thumbs Up

Post #60683320th Feb 2010 1:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
discoBizz

Could I also ask if this has actually been a recall or not?

If it has, does someone have the TSB?

Cheers Thumbs Up

Post #60727421st Feb 2010 10:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

It looks to me like it's just the spring loaded tensioner arm moving as it takes up slight inequalities in the belt as it rotates.

I'm currently sans D3 so I cant compare it directly, but my Td5 has a very similar arrangement and that does it, even with new bearings.
(I've replaced the tensioner and most of the other bearings in that area due to ingress of mud and grit while offroading.)

I'm sure that if the bearing was that bad you would hear it.
 Clive

Post #60730021st Feb 2010 11:28 am
discoBizz

Thanks for taking the time to check it out crwoody Thumbs Up

A little comforting to hear that there is a normal play in the tensioner in similar arrangements. Which will however bring me back to square one of my vibration investigation Confused Big Cry

It would be great if we can directly compare to a D3, so as to dismiss as the cause...

Thanks again Thumbs Up

Post #60735421st Feb 2010 1:29 pm
crwoody

It might help to get a feel for the frequency of the vibration and what sort speed it occurs at.

I'm thinking possibly a prop shaft related vibration, due perhaps to a damaged universal joint or a lump of mud putting the prop shaft out of balance.

A prop shaft vibration will generally occur at a lower road speed but at a higher frequency than a wheel vibration because it's turning faster and has less mass, but it may also be more dependant on the amount of load it's under.

Clive
 Clive

Last edited by crwoody on 21st Feb 2010 4:56 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #60737021st Feb 2010 2:43 pm
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

That looks alright to me. Are you getting any squealing from that area? If not, I doubt you have a problem with the tensioner. Mine moves exactly the same as that, which is normal as I believe.
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #60739921st Feb 2010 4:46 pm
discoBizz

Thank you gents! Thumbs Up

No squealing at all, just that vibration, now established to be rev related but doubt it's to do with the prop as it happens when car is in neutral and stationary too Confused Any possibility it could be gearbox related? Not too familiar with an auto, but I guess there's still a flywheel which could be at fault?

So far, I have ruled out: mud in the fan and mud on the belts themselves. Since it is now more probable the tensioner is as it should be, I have no further idea where/what to look for. I guess I'll take the plunge and take it to the dealer, who will probably keep it for a week or two, only to tell me they found nothing wrong...

Any final thoughts?

Thanks again!

Post #60763121st Feb 2010 10:31 pm
crwoody

" ... take it to the dealer, who will probably keep it for a week or two, only to tell me they found nothing wrong..."

And charge you a fortune for the privilege. Big Cry
 Clive

Post #60769921st Feb 2010 11:51 pm
discoBizz

Vibration problem - getting desperate - any help please!!!

I'm at a complete loss now: the car has been to the dealer for a complete brake pad replacement and while we were at it, changed the front ARB bushings too (there was a squeak when tensed but no play - hence got charged for them Evil or Very Mad ). Checked tensioner pulley only to confirm it's operating as it should. And checked any fault codes just in case (there were none other than two lost comms Whistle )

The vibration is still there and, because I know my car quite better than the dealer, I am certain it is getting more noticeable with time and that it wasn't there a few weeks ago (dealer insists there's nothing out of the ordinary there!). In addition, it is more intense between idle and say 1500rpm and has now started changing pitch when turning, mostly left. When engaging drive from neutral, it becomes deeper and more widespread (can feel it on the seat as opposed to just the steering wheel, plus the rear view mirror now also vibrates noticeably making the view fuzzy) and there is now an additional wheel-rotation related vibration when on the move, felt mildly through the steering wheel only.

As the dealer has already "checked" the car twice without finding anything, it's now entirely down to me to try to determine the cause and point it out to them. As I mentioned, I have ruled out mud at least in places I can reach and I would imagine any stones possibly caught anywhere around the break disc would have flicked out by now...

I would really really appreciate any more thoughts as I am at a complete loss. Don't have access to a ramp, but can happily slide under the vehicle to investigate... What would I expect to show freeplay if it were to be the propshaft?

Thanks Thumbs Up

Post #6324126th Apr 2010 12:41 pm
al cope

England 

The vibe might become deeper after engaging drive, but if you're not moving, it wont be driveshaft, thats sounds more torqueconverter (or whatever is being "loaded up" before moving off)

given some of your comments - power steering pump?

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #6324446th Apr 2010 2:04 pm
discoBizz

Thanks Al Thumbs Up

Could be, any ideas where to look for symptoms if it is?

Post #6324556th Apr 2010 2:21 pm
al cope

England 

just a guess really, given your comments about steering vibe, and also, I dont know if you are like me but I seem to put a hand on the steering wheel straight away, in effect loading the steering.

I dont know if the power steering has its own belt, or whether something else is also driven from it. If its on its own, I guess you could drop this belt off to see if there's any change.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #6324596th Apr 2010 2:25 pm
discoBizz

Thank again!

I'll take a look (I think I have the schematic from the GTR somewhere), though removing the belt might actually create other vibrations??? Worth investigating for sure Thumbs Up

Post #6324676th Apr 2010 2:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >