DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Thinking about after market Privacy glass
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
jojim65

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Thinking about after market Privacy glass

After some advice please....

After spending the summer getting very hot with almond leather and all that glass I'm looking at getting the back windows tinted (not front or windscreen) I want to keep the worst of the suns rays out without detracting from the car and without it looking stupid.

Have to say it's quality first cost second but I don't have a clue about how it's done or finding someone reputable. I live in St Albans and willing to travel within reason for the right company.

I appreciate this has been discussed before but searching brings up so many different ideas it's all getting very confusing.

Over to you guys....

Post #5321959th Oct 2009 6:03 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

90BHP is your man, he has a contact in Hinckley who comes highly recommended Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #5321979th Oct 2009 6:06 pm
jojim65

Blimey that was quick and thanks PM sent Thumbs Up

Post #5321989th Oct 2009 6:11 pm
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

There are a lot of posts on the forum (search: Tints) that give a good feel for the issues. I think I've read most of them.

My particular issue is that I have 2 big dogs that are prone to act up when alone in the car when anyone gets too close. My concern is that the film will get scratched and therefore will look bad.

I called Vampire Tints in E London after a search of the web. They remove the winding windows to get a good finish. They recommended putting tinted safety film on instead of normal film. It's about 6 times thicker and means that the windows (wind up ones at least) can't be broken with a hammer. Because the fixed windows are just that, the film is less strong. They reckon it'll be far harder for the dogs to scratch it but they were concerned about the difficulty in heat shrinking it on curved surfaces. However, they're pretty sure it'll work and won't do it if they think they'll have a problem.

Quoted £230 for doing the B pillar back in safety film; not the cheapest but they seem to know what they're doing.
 PAGODA  
Post #5322079th Oct 2009 6:32 pm
outofyorkshire

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

You can always go the sitted sunblind route.
£100 ish and you can take em out for the winter!!
http://www.palmautomotive.co.uk/4trucks/ac...ries_.html
got some for a trip to france this summer, great bit of kit
 Cheers Ian
Massey Ferguson 400 FIS AGTV - Arctic Cat by any other name...
Citroen C3 Picasso for SWMBO so we can remember what fuel economy is!!
Member of the Narpy torch club 

Post #5322099th Oct 2009 6:36 pm
jojim65

Thanks to 90BHP I'm going to have Ben at Midland Tinting tint my Buck Blue HSE....great price too.

One question remains.....what tint do I have on each window....I don't want to have problems reversing but I would like to keep prying eyes out..without looking naff...

Would be really interested to know what you all had done on the group buy and what sort of % LR factory fitted tint is?

Thanks...

Post #53245910th Oct 2009 6:15 pm
cliveaff

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have just had my windows tinted. Last week.
I have had limo for all the windows, except the front two which I had the lightest tint, and a strip on the front screen which is about 4ins wide.
The limo is the darkest tint, you can hardly see into the car, but from the inside you can see out without a problem, I had this as I have 2 dogs and it will be cooler for them.
The front 2 are the lightest, but slightly under 75% so I had to sign a disclamer, so as there is no come back to them, I can look out of these as if there is no tint on them at all, and you can see in to the car, as if you windows are a bit dirty.
Now the front strip, I don't know, it is limo in color it does'nt come as far down as the sun visor, but as you look through the window you have light and dark, it might just want getting use to, my wife has not had a problem with it.
There is a middle tint which is midnight, but with this you can see into the car.
Hope this helps.
 Land Rover Dicovery 3. 5 Seats.
With side Steps, And rubber floor mats and rubber load space cover.
Front and Rear Mud Flaps.
Light Guards.
Engine Re-Map
Alpine Mobile Media Station. With SatNav.
Xenon head lights
Old Man Emu Suspension
Triumph Sprint RS 1050
Discovery 1 300tdi 1995 

Post #53249710th Oct 2009 7:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
les996

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi JoJim

...not trying to put anyone out of a job, but i used someone by recommendation who is very close to you.
His name is Martin, he is in London Colney

Had mine done a couple of weeks ago, dark smoke to sides and back, light smoke passenger/driver - very pleased - top job!

Regards
Les

ps there is a pic in my gallery with them fitted Smile

Post #53252810th Oct 2009 8:46 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I had mine done by Ben - supa job, highly recommended, did my son car as well.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #53253510th Oct 2009 8:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jkp

Scotland 

Quality tints are guaranteed against scratching. Mine came with a lifetime guarantee when I got them fitted.

I went for the limo tint from B pillar back and by jings it's dark. My last one had a dark smoke, but I notice more, or should I say less things through it on these dark mornings going to work at 6am Shocked

Actually reversed into the fence this morning. Looking in the rear view and never seen it and yes my beeps were beeping but just seemed to ignore it Rolling Eyes

Fantastic for when the dogs in the car and for added security Thumbs Up

Post #53255810th Oct 2009 9:24 pm
jojim65

Thanks for the input,

Don't think 'Limo' is for me....feel it's going to be far too dark, with feedback like 'cave' and 'by jings it's dark' think I will consider a lighter shade...

Would you put the same on the rear screen as the side windows though?

Post #53257110th Oct 2009 9:34 pm
jkp

Scotland 

There is someone on here who has limo on the sides and lighter on the rear to allow more light into the car. With hindsight I should have done that as well.

Here is a pic of mine not long after I got it...

Post #53257810th Oct 2009 9:40 pm
pagoda

Here's my question about after market tinting since I'm thinking of having it done. First, as per my post higher up, I'm pretty sure the guys I spoke to know what they're about. Their website shows some v fancy cars in their workshop, etc and I had a good chat with them on the phone. Whilst they remove the winding windows to ensure a full tint, how do they do the rear glass so that it looks OK even though a good few inches around the edges are unaccessible given that they're bonded to the car? Or do they just ensure a good join?

JKP -was yours after market? It looks really good. As for the comment about scratching, anyone who tells you two rotties can't scratch film window tint is taking the pi$$. It's about ,5 mm thick - and it scratches easily which is why I'm thinking about the 3mm safety film stuff for my car, though it's much harder to fit it seems.
 PAGODA  
Post #53272211th Oct 2009 9:20 am
Zermatt Vulgaris

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

what is the going rate south of the border for a quality tint job on a D3; been quoted 440 quid up in grampian; can anyone recommend a company in the cheshire area ?..judging by the number of RRS frequenting that area there must be a fair selection..
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2011MY Zermatt Silver Range Rover Sport HSE 3.0 TDV6

Post #53431914th Oct 2009 10:49 am
pagoda

I've been quoted about £230 but that's for a 3mm safety film tint rather than just a normal tint.

Interestingly, when I called my insurer to discuss it with them, I was quoted an additional premium of £130 if I went ahead with this. I'm now waiting for a reply from the underwriters to explain the mad increase. Perhaps just something else to be aware of. I certainly wont be going ahead if they'll charge me over half the cost of the job!
 PAGODA  
Post #53433114th Oct 2009 11:28 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >