DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Thule Roof Bars Disco v BMW X5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Thule Roof Bars Disco v BMW X5

Hi,

We have now got a Disco 3 from an 03 BMW X5.

Now, our old Thule bars are 762 model and 127cm long. The guide for the Disco says 769 model which are 135cm long.

I know I need different mounting feet but I have messured the bars on the new car and I think they would fit the width with ease.... possible about 60mm to spare.

Therefore, should I buy an additional set of new bars or just go with what I have?. I am thinking they'll fit ok and its an excuse to flog new bars... this is assuming the bars are all the same 'build', just different lengths.

Neil

Post #3828793rd Dec 2008 9:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

I got a bit confused with the bars as well, there is a thread here that apart from the off topic wandering for a few pages, it turns out people have used different lengths.

In the end I ordered 120cm bars, and they fit great (not much overhang over the brackets, a lot shorter than the roof width). This means that 127cm bars will also be fine and I don't think wider than the car. I would say that 135cm is too wide, although if you were trying to cram a couple of canoes on the roof or something like that the extra width would help.

Post #3829413rd Dec 2008 10:49 pm
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Just purchased the feet and adaptors from Halfords and they DO fit with the X5 bars, its got about an inch to spare. The feet slide onto the roof bar through a cut out. Like I say, only about .5" to spare at each end bits still fits and saved about £40.00

Therefore 00-07 X5 bars fit the Disco 3.

Off to get the Xmas tree tomorrow now!!!

Post #3838375th Dec 2008 8:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >