Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Tires (again, i know, sorry...)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
macburns

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3
Tires (again, i know, sorry...)

I am getting new tires for my LR3- sorry, disco 3 next week sometime. After almost getting stuck in only a few inches of snow in -15F weather I am saying goodbye to the goodyears.

Anyway, I would like to know from people who have the cooper STT's on 18inch wheels if they rub at all. I know that the STT's are very meaty and i can live with more noise (ipod all the time already) and since i live in Colorado off-road trips are in the plans.

Thanks

Post #1281937th Feb 2007 2:57 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Hi Mac, I understand that the Coopers do rub a just a bit and will need a little dremel tooling around the wheel wells. I hear they are quite nice & would be great in your parts!
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #1282017th Feb 2007 5:04 am
Chris200100

Wales 

They do rub but only on the rear, and only when cornering fast, there's no need to dremel anything.

I ran with the cooper stt's and they are great tyres,

the size is 275/65/18.

I got some pic somewhere
 Focus ST500

Range Rover Classic

other modes of transport:- Volvo FM13 Globetrotter (13L 440bhp, 2200nm) nice new one

Post #1282257th Feb 2007 9:57 am
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Chris - I have been wanred off and aggressive mud-pattern for the majority road-use which is us, unfortunately, due to the impact on ride quality? One person suggested it was akin to putting Simex JT2 on a Disco 2 - putting MT or STT on a D3?

Can you comment? How are you find the STT's wearing - how much off-rad are you doing vs. suburban/highway?

(late questions - about to fit 275/65-18 Mickey Thompson ATZ's tomorrow Neutral )

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #1282837th Feb 2007 12:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Chris200100

Wales 

I had them as a second set, and changed them over for offroad use, they were ok on the road a little noisy.

I have since changed my D3 to a newer one with 19" wheels so I'm now going to go over to MTR's
 Focus ST500

Range Rover Classic

other modes of transport:- Volvo FM13 Globetrotter (13L 440bhp, 2200nm) nice new one

Post #1282877th Feb 2007 1:07 pm
lr3maybe

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3
Tire Rub

I am in Denver. I have the 285/60/18 Nittos (31.4 inch diameter). Some other people have said they don't rub but I did have a little bit that I fixed with a dremel tool. I trimmed the rear lip of the front bumper where it extended past the inner wheel well into the wheel well and the lower edge of the inner well on the left wheel well where it touched the tire on full right lock turns. Trimming with the dremel took about a minute.

If you are planning to be in Denver (Lakewood) let me know if you want to see.

Post #1283267th Feb 2007 3:51 pm
simon_arch1

Well - took the step today of fitting LT275/65-18 Mickey Thompson ATZ today to the D3...

1. it looks GREAT!
2. on-road, so far, no noticeable difference in handling or noise (but haven't gone far yet)
3. only very lsigh rubbing on the front in full-lock reverse...

Time will tell - but so far, v happy!

cheers,

Simon

ps. pics to come... and looking forward to getting off-road.
pps. also fitting some underbody armour to keep things protected....
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #1284958th Feb 2007 4:15 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

simon_arch1 wrote:
Well - took the step today of fitting LT275/65-18 Mickey Thompson ATZ today to the D3...

pps. also fitting some underbody armour to keep things protected....

Simon, well done on making the decision. The Mickey T's are 6.7% (2.1") larger than stock just make sure your don't drive at 100kph according tothe speedo. I reckon you will be over the limit by a few kph's.
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #1284968th Feb 2007 5:18 am
simon_arch1

I had adapted driving style on the D2 with a 10% under reading - and in fact, on the D3, my speedo read a bit high according to the GPS - will do some tests, but yes, very aware and not wanting to incurr the wrath of the law, or the fines!

cheers,

Simon
Post #1289309th Feb 2007 2:58 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Chris200100 wrote:
They do rub but only on the rear, and only when cornering fast, there's no need to dremel anything.

I ran with the cooper stt's and they are great tyres,

the size is 275/65/18.

I got some pic somewhere

Chris, would like to see the pics as suggested.

18" STT's or 19"MTR's [+ 18" AT2's] ... what's best tyre for all round, everyday use?
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #1289419th Feb 2007 4:10 pm
senortetas

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

i just recently started running the nokian hakkapeliitta suv tires and LOVE them. living in denver, these tires are awesome for driving up to the mountains in snowstorms as well as around the city in deep slush. would reccomend these to anyone who wants a serious snowtire that are still very quiet and drive great on dry highway conditions as well.

Post #1289729th Feb 2007 8:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >