Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Plan to visit Scotland - some questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Garagegmx

Going to say Ben More you can tell it apart from the rest because of its shape and the grey rock.

Think Waterbouy is thinking of Caithness rather than Sutherland. Wants to get out of Argyll a bit more. Snigger

Post #127447824th Apr 2014 7:16 pm
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

OK, as threatened earlier here are some further thoughts.

Firstly, I am trying to answer your specific questions at the start of the thread and in doing so am merely giving a personal opinion - one with which others will no doubt disagree! However, my livelihood is dependent on being able to direct visitors (albeit waterborne ones) in the right direction, most of whom are enthusiatic followers of fine malts too. As a result of this many of the images I will post wil have a 'watery' theme.

Secondly, although my work takes me all over Scotland, from Shetland and Cape Wrath down to St Abbs, I choose to live on the west coast because that is the area which I most like (about 30 miles north of Islay in a straight line, but on the mainland just south of Oban). In the past I have lived and worked in the NE/Cairngorms, Lochinver ( Ner Ner Garagegmx!) Stirlingshire, Perthshire, Glasgow and SW Scotland. My suggestions are therefore west-centric, although given your OP I also think this is probably the closest to what you are looking for.

The landscape around where we live (mid Argyll) is as follows - all within a mile of our home, the first two taken this morning:

Your chosen time of year is likely to have a mixed bag of weather - April/May/June is usually driest in the west, but it is certainly warmer in July and August (and more midgy as a result), and usually much drier in the east.

It is a given that you are spending 2 or 3 days on Islay because of the distilleries - it might be worth taking the ferry over to Jura (as pedestrians) from Port Askaig to visit the Jura Distillery too. I find Islay quite a 'low key' island to visit - there are certainly others wth a more rugged and/or romantic feel to them. However, in the right conditions, and given enough malt, anywhere can be special!

Once you get back to the mainland at Kennacraig I'd head north - the Kintyre peninsula down to Campbeltown has its merits, but I think there more attractive places in which to spend your time. Kilmartin Glen (between Lochgilphead and Oban) is worth a visit - one of the largest neolithic centres in the UK and an award winning museum which is very 'hands on'. Oban is a mixed bag, but has (another) distillery. You can take the ferry over to Mull (passenger or vehicle) and visit the Tobermory distillery - not the finest we have to offer, but they are all different. It may be worth a diversion to Iona (from Mull) if time permits - passenger ferry - and the (claimed) origin of Christianity in Scotland - very much a day trip as a passenger but stunning beaches in the right weather.

From Oban you'd most likely head north. I'd probably get through Fort Wiliam as quickly as possible (if at all) in peak season - an alternative is to take the (very reasonably priced - Council operated) Corran Ferry over to the Morvern Peninsula from where you can head west around Loch Sunart and past Ardnamurchan before rejoining the 'Road to the Isles' which runs between Fort William and Mallaig. Shortly before Mallaig you'll pass the Morar sands - as already stated, superb and much filmed!

Click image to enlarge
Looking over from Ardnamurchan to the Small Isles of Eigg, Muck, Rum and Canna with Skye in the distance

A short ferry from Mallaig will take you to Armadale on Skye which, given your interest in wilderness and whisky, is (I think) a must. Loch Harport is the home of the Talisker Distillery and the scenery is very rugged (if you can see it).

Loch Harport and the Talisker Distillery

Loch Slapin on Skye

The Cuillin on Skye, viewed from Loch Scavaig

Depending on time you have a number of options from Skye. One is to take the ferry from Uig to Tarbert on Harris - the Outer Hebrides - all different and with stunning beaches (but, arguably, not much else) Another would be to return to the mainland via the Skye Bridge and then take the coast road via Plockton and Applecross leading to Shieldaig and then around Loch Maree and Gairloch to Ullapol (where you can also get to via a ferry from the Outer Hebrides). Sounds a lot but in practice is a very pleasant day's drive with lots of photo opportunities on the way.

Looking back to Skye from above Plockton

From Ullapool (and again, time permitting) you can head north to Lochinver and then around the stunning Assynt coast road via Clashnessie and Nedd to rejoin the main road at Kylesku - this is the Sutherland landscape shown in the video link which was posted earlier. You can then head north to Cape Wrath or return direct to Inverness. Either way the time you have available probably makes a trip to Orkney via Caithness unviable - the islands are worth a trip in their own right, but a vehicle can be a hinderance rather than an asset at times!

From Inverness you again have countless opportunities. With your malt interests then Speyside (and possibly the Glenlivet estate) is a must. You can then head south down the A9 via Perthshire - beautiful in the autumn but you'll be too early for that. Alternatively you could head from Speyside over the Lecht into Deeside, Balmoral and Braemar, from where you can either head into Fife (ie St Andrews etc) via Dundee, or Perth and then south once more to the borders.

It sounds a lot but, in my yuufff, my then fiancee and I (now the ex SWMBO MKI Rolling Eyes ) did the whole trip (including Sutherland) in a 109" Series III in 2 weeks (albeit we followed the closest road to the coastline the wholeway round, missed out the Outer Isles but did do Skye and Mull).

One of the keys to a successful trip is being flexible as the weather can be so changeable. There is little point trying to have a 'beach day' if the rain is horizontal, and similarly touring rund three distilleries on a beautiful sunny day is not necessarily the best use of time either!

Some of the other questions you asked:

Offroad routes etc - I have previously mentioned the Forestry Commission Forest Drives, but you should also be aware that some of the roads can be of a questionable standard. This is the B road which runs past our house, a mile or so down the peninsula:

Wild camping - again, as already stated this should not be a problem if you are sensible. However, try and avoid sites next to still (fresh) water or boggy areas due to midges - coastal sites usually have a breeze which is enough to keep them away (but beware of the evening 'calm' which can last for a couple of hours). The Coast road between Plockton and Assynt has numerous spectacular sites, and the rest of the route I have described is also suitable.

Popping the question - over to you on this one! Some of the 'wilderness' sites will speak for themselves in the right weather. However, if you want somewhere 'special' then two possibilities come to mind. First is the Crinan Hotel - a bit Fawlty Towers'esque' with its own in-house 'Manuel' (albeit from the west end of Glasgow) but superb views over Loch Crinan towards he Corryvreckan at sunset. This is about 30 minutes north of the Kennacraig (ie returning from Islay) ferry terminal.

The second hotel which we (ie SWMBO MkII) would recommend as somewhere special is Isle Eriska. http://www.eriska-hotel.co.uk/ More expensive than most but worth every penny. The Glensanda room is a good one to ask for - you have the top of a tower/turret to yourselves. Wink

As you'll have already gathered from the other replies on this thread, others have different opinions, and there are numerous alternatives available. We have been trading for more than 15 years and have continental customers who are returning for their 10th or 12th visit this year. Don't expect something resembling a 'standard' package holiday (I don't think you are), and make sure y have some good waterproofs!

Finally,on a practical level (we are talking about LR after all) there are dealerships in (amongst others) Edinburgh, Stirling, Glasgow, Inverness, Perth and Aberdeen. I have had positive experiences with both Stirling and Inverness, but not so with some of the others. You might try and persuade Disco Mikey to follow a discrete distance behind Laughing

PS Might also be worth a look at this thread: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic110874-15.html
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE, 2013 MY D4 HSE and 2016 D4 SE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #127453424th Apr 2014 8:47 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

you will find many of the roads are not nessarily fast in the outback AND have many tourists AND hgv traffic so you need to watch your rear..
also..as you will see plenty to get your attention ,,and a desire to stop....which eats into the day considerably

Post #127454724th Apr 2014 9:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Great suggestions,and great pics Waterbuoy.....but if I could just make an alternative suggestion to the location for the marriage proposal ?
Loch Torridon Hotel http://www.thetorridon.com/hotel/
Click image to enlarge

......absolutely stunning location

And,considering the OP's hobby,not a bad bar Thumbs Up

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #127454824th Apr 2014 9:07 pm
waterbuoy

Thumbs Up

He can add it to the list - at this rate we'll be bankrupting him Laughing
Previously:
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
110 V8 CSW (220k)

Post #127455024th Apr 2014 9:10 pm
Simon.pl

Poland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

waterbuoy
Bow down Bow down Bow down Bow down Bow down Bow down Thumbs Up

What a great advices here! Some of the places you've mentioned are already on my map. But most of the other ones must be marked and line drawn - to see where it would take me Laughing

Before I had this wonderful read I planed to get to Islay from Kennacraig (to Port Ellen) as this would be natural way down from Glasgow through Inveraray Castle and than leave the Islay from Port Askaig through Colonsay down to Oban - that would lead me north. Would it make any sense?

Sorry if it doesn't considering all your suggestions, but at the moment I'm not able to locate it in my head on a Scotland map, so been just following my first thoughts
Thumbs Up

euangibson - great location - thank you! Thumbs Up Although - still water = lots of midges Laughing Wink
 Wrapped Satin Yellow&Black; Lovells 2" Gas Legend Kit, OME hard springs. ATX 192 17" wheels with Cooper STT M/T tires. ProSpeed Roof Rack & Rear Ladder. Custom made underbody protection, front bumper, rock sliders, spare wheel and accessories mountings, drawer system. WARN 9,5XP Winch. Front and Rear Light Guards, Safari Snorkel. VIAIR X'treme Duty OBA, Traxide USI-160 system, Danhag GSM & IPCU modules, IID Tool BT, James Baroud roof tent and awnings, and air horn for fun Smile  
Post #127455524th Apr 2014 9:16 pm
euangibson

Loch Torridon is a sea loch.....there should be fewer of them Thumbs Up
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE

Post #127455724th Apr 2014 9:26 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Pretty impressive write up there waterbuoy Bow down Bow down

I wouldn't worry about Garagegmx, Dave changes where he lives whenever he changes usernames Whistle

Euan, The Loch Torridon Hotel is just down the road from Steve Carter's place isn't it Question
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #127456524th Apr 2014 9:34 pm
Garagegmx

Waterbouy, you've excelled yourself. Respect. Bow down Your still a southerner. Whistle

Oh, the Torridon Hotel is or was up for sale. Well the lease was anyway. Reasonably priced ISTR. Now that would be romantic, propose and then break it to her you purchased the lease of her new home. Thumbs Up

Hairy Dan, I haven't a clue who you are or what your on about, but if you want a date, just ask. Rolling with laughter Talk about a fixation.

Last edited by Garagegmx on 24th Apr 2014 9:38 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #127456724th Apr 2014 9:35 pm
waterbuoy

Simon.pl wrote:

Before I had this wonderful read I planed to get to Islay from Kennacraig (to Port Ellen) as this would be natural way down from Glasgow through Inveraray Castle and than leave the Islay from Port Askaig through Colonsay down to Oban - that would lead me north. Would it make any sense?

In part yes. Glasgow to Inveraray (2 hours plus the inevitable tourist stop) but then I'd go from Inveraray to just short of Furnace (about 10km) and take the Forest Drive from the Auchindrain Township over to Loch Awe, from where you can drive down to Kennacraig. Not much difference in the distance, but some 'soft roading' - the road between Furnace and Lochgilphead is nothing special given what else is on offer.

I hadn't suggested the ferry from Islay to Colonsay and then on to Oban as it is (a) infrequent and (b) relatively expensive (it is a non-essential route). Colonsay is very pleasant with yet more beaches, but is also very small - you could visit most areas within a couple of hours, yet I don't think the ferry allows a day-trip with a vehicle.

Kiloran Bay on Colonsay
Previously:
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
110 V8 CSW (220k)

Post #127457324th Apr 2014 9:37 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Whatever you do, don't follow the D3 Sat Nav if you have it fitted. It's a waste of time on the west coast of Scotland....
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #127458024th Apr 2014 9:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
euangibson

Hairy Dan wrote:

Euan, The Loch Torridon Hotel is just down the road from Steve Carter's place isn't it Question

If I remember his build blog correctly,yes he overlooks Loch Torridon Thumbs Up

Locking rear E-diff
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE

Post #127458524th Apr 2014 9:44 pm
waterbuoy

Garagegmx wrote:
Waterbouy, you've excelled yourself. Respect. Bow down Your still a southerner. Whistle
Thumbs Up

I'll always be a southerner, albeit strictly speaking I live north of the Highland Boundary Faults and am therefore living in the Highlands (and only 8 miles south of Perth)! However, as I originate from deepest Scouse land (many many years ago) I'll take whatever comes my way.

By way of info I used to drive around the coast road from Gairloch/Ullapool/Assynt/Kylesku/Kinlochbervie/Durness/Tongue and then down to Lairg and Inverness every month for 3 years when surveying rivers for Scottish Water prior to them upgrading the water supply system about 15 years ago, and before that worked for the Assynt Crofters on doing flow surveys for their hydro scheme as well as similar surveys in Gairloch and Torridon - hopefully that counts as getting out of Argyll Laughing

OP - I'd suggest you avoid the 'Great Glen' (ie between Inverness and Fort William) if at all possible during peak season - it is full of coachloads of purple rinses doing the 'Lochs and Glens' routes, or Americans tracing their ancestral clans.
Previously:
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
110 V8 CSW (220k)

Post #127459224th Apr 2014 9:47 pm
Simon.pl

Poland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Disco_Mikey wrote:
Whatever you do, don't follow the D3 Sat Nav if you have it fitted. It's a waste of time on the west coast of Scotland....

Don't have one Whistle
Always followed and trusted my Garmin device - but last year in Bulgaria mountains with off-road trails on a map, got lost Rolling Eyes Embarassed Wink

This was around 7 p.m.

...and this was about 3 hours later after quite tough off road trail around 30km far from any village Big Cry

So learned not to blindly trust those devices Thumbs Up
 Wrapped Satin Yellow&Black; Lovells 2" Gas Legend Kit, OME hard springs. ATX 192 17" wheels with Cooper STT M/T tires. ProSpeed Roof Rack & Rear Ladder. Custom made underbody protection, front bumper, rock sliders, spare wheel and accessories mountings, drawer system. WARN 9,5XP Winch. Front and Rear Light Guards, Safari Snorkel. VIAIR X'treme Duty OBA, Traxide USI-160 system, Danhag GSM & IPCU modules, IID Tool BT, James Baroud roof tent and awnings, and air horn for fun Smile  
Post #127462224th Apr 2014 10:12 pm
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Garagegmx wrote:
Urqhart Castle is expensive and packed in the summer. Mostly ruins with a Loch Ness backdrop.

Eilean Donan, as above, ignoring backdrop of Loch Ness, but better maintained.

I don't think Eilean Donan is particularly expensive, and you certainly get more bang for your buck than Urqhart (sic) and it is in no way the same.
Of course I'm biased, but then I could live pretty much anywhere in the world but chose somewhere that looks out over Eilean Donan Wink

Simon. If you fancy a break from the camping, or just want some where for a wee dram (though I tend to 'only' have around 5 malts on the go), bit of spannering, etc you are very welcome to stop by or stay. Our house used to be a hotel so has plenty of spare bedrooms or even an apartment if you wish.
Our eldest son wants to be a chef or chocolatier and recently did a fantastic cake for my niece's engagement, announced at our house...I'm sure he'd relish the chance to do another. Smile

I'd echo the Smidge recommendation btw. It really does work.
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #127469024th Apr 2014 11:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >