DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

camping electrics
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Iguana

Ukraine 
camping electrics

In prep for the camping trailer project, need some advice on electrics

I have twin tow Electrics on the D3, so looking for a leisure battery that can be charged while towing as well as perhaps a solar panel to charged while at the site

Besides the obvious of buying a solar panel and battery, what do I need to get for feeding into the battery (from tow electrics) and what to run from the battery, as in 12v sockets, or even 3 pin sockets. Will I need fuse box?

Cheers Thumbs Up

Iguana
 Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR =
2015 RR Sport Autobiography
&
1992 Land Rover Defender Camper

- Gone but not forgotten:
MY10 D4 GS
MY05 Disco 3 'S'
MY14 FL2 HSE manual in Blue
MY15 Disco 4 HSE Lux in Santorini Black
MY08 Disco 3 SE manual in Buck Blue
1960 Series 2 88" (No idea why I sold it!) 

Post #125881225th Mar 2014 9:53 pm
P1DNC

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

Hi Ieuan,

Give me a Lync call tommorrow, Ive just made a 12S cable to charge my batteries and fridge while driving, plus it hooks up to 2 batteries.

I have a 12v cigarette extension lead to the roof tent for lights and charging the Ipod/Phone.

Happy to discuss. Thumbs Up

Post #125883225th Mar 2014 10:14 pm
Iguana

Ukraine 

Perfect Thumbs Up
 Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR =
&

MY10 D4 GS
MY05 Disco 3 'S'

Post #125883425th Mar 2014 10:17 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Ieuan, u gotta change that sig line. Every time I see Iguana I snigger & then SWMBO tells me off. Big Cry Big Cry

On second thoughts, leave it. A snigger is well worth a telling off. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #125883525th Mar 2014 10:18 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

P1DNC wrote:
Hi Ieuan,

Give me a Lync call tommorrow, Ive just made a 12S cable to charge my batteries and fridge while driving, plus it hooks up to 2 batteries.

I have a 12v cigarette extension lead to the roof tent for lights and charging the Ipod/Phone.

Happy to discuss. Thumbs Up

You IT boys Whistle
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #125884125th Mar 2014 10:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Iguana

Ukraine 

I may have to get one of the big boys to change my user name as well I think Very Happy

Rolling with laughter
 Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR =
&

MY10 D4 GS
MY05 Disco 3 'S'

Post #125885125th Mar 2014 10:35 pm
sailorboi

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

P1DNC: would you mind sharing your adapter idea for charging batteries? I am looking to do the same a Ieuan and I will be looking to charge 1 battery (at the moment) and run fridge etc... I am struggling to figure out what I need (cable size, fuse box, isolator switches, 12v chargers???)

Any help you could give me (diagrams etc) would be much appreciated Thumbs Up

Sorry not an IT guy Very Happy
 07 Java Black TD V6 D3, EGRs Blanked, Tow bar, Full dog guard & divider, LED Spots , DRLs, GG ATs, RLD Sump guard, RLD Spare Wheel Protector, D4 LED Rear Lights, Limo tints on boot and Midnight tint on rear windows, Kenwood screen with Garmin nav, Rear cameras, D4 Steering wheel with flappy paddles, T-max split charge system, Tree sliders, Prospeed roof rack & Ladder, Alisport fast road inter cooler,

Massey Ferguson 35x
Sankey Narrow Track Camping Trailer (Gone but to a great home) 

Post #12928983rd Jun 2014 7:58 pm
P1DNC

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

HI Sailorboi,

Apologies that I havent replied sooner but Ive not been on for a few days.

Anyway re the electrics...

I have two batteries wired up in parralel, and I use a Citek MX5 charger to charge the batteries every couple of weeks or when required.

Initiallally I used the charger to re-condition the two batteries, this took 4 to 5 days but as I didnt know the state of the batteries this was ideal to either recondition or see them fail.

Rather than use clips on the battery terminals I have fitted a Citek comfort connector so its permanent and simple to connect up, the comfort connector has leds showing the current state of the baterries.

I decided that this was to be the main input point for power, so Ive also wired up a 12S connector from the back of the Disco to the batteries in the trailer. I wired the cable from the car to a fuse box then purchased a Citek extension cable so that I had the correct fitting for the citek comfort cable. I cut the citek extension cable to length and wired this from the fusebox to the Citek comfoert lead.

This way I can charge the battery while Im driving, ....so in theory I can charge the batteries when 240v is availiable, either at home or on the campsite, and then while Im travelling I can keep the batteries fully charged by using the 12S supply from the Disco

I have taken a simple Cigarette connector from the batteries as my output and connected a 3 way Cigerette type holder, from this I provide power to the fridge and then another extension lead up into the lent for lighting and power ( ie charging mobiles.)

Its all failrly simple ( Like me Rolling with laughter ) however after lots of guidance and advice from Mr Wiggs I am going to hard wire some proper sockets and connectors to make it all a little bit more robust.

Finally I am going to add either one or two Solar Panels to the trailer and that way I can charge when there is no power either on the campsite or when wild camping.

Once the solar panels are fitted it should just be a case of wiring the panels to a solar panel controller and then using a another Citek extension lead into Citek comfort lead.

I cant imagine that I will ever need more than one input into the Citek comfort lead.

I will get some pictures for you and post them later this week.

Finally ... I must thank Ade (Wiggs) and Greg (Beanie) for all the adice on how to do this as I couldnt have do this without there help/guidance.

Happy to discuss, PM if you want to. Thumbs Up

Cheers Phil.

Post #12954659th Jun 2014 10:02 am
sailorboi

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Pictures would indeed be great Thumbs Up

Thanks for the information that sounds like a good set up. I will need to re read it a few times but I am sure I will get it Rolling with laughter
 07 Java Black TD V6 D3, EGRs Blanked, Tow bar, Full dog guard & divider, LED Spots , DRLs, GG ATs, RLD Sump guard, RLD Spare Wheel Protector, D4 LED Rear Lights, Limo tints on boot and Midnight tint on rear windows, Kenwood screen with Garmin nav, Rear cameras, D4 Steering wheel with flappy paddles, T-max split charge system, Tree sliders, Prospeed roof rack & Ladder, Alisport fast road inter cooler,

Massey Ferguson 35x
Sankey Narrow Track Camping Trailer (Gone but to a great home) 

Post #129696512th Jun 2014 12:26 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >