Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Q393-Detachable Towbar & LR Letter ***ALL HERE***
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 53 of 68 <123 ... 525354 ... 666768>
UffBrock

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If it’s as easy as that, is there any reason why one can’t have the best of both worlds – i.e. opt for/insist on a new fixed bar on the basis of caravan safety, then remove it to storage (? two chassis bolts and the component that locks into the tow socket), revert to inserting the removable hook when required for light trailer use but reinstall the braced tow assembly when required for towing the caravan? It would be real hassle but only create the situation one thought existed when buying the vehicle in the first place.

In my case, my D4 slots into the garage with really nothing to spare. Accordingly, I always have to remove the removable tow bar before garaging. By the same token there’s insufficient room to accommodate the protrusion of a fixed tow bar.

As things are, I can anticipate a situation where my existing removable assembly passes the LR test and I’m sent on my way but every time I attach the caravan and haul it along anything other than a smooth motorway/autoroute, I'm having the jitters about all the inevitable bumps and vibrations creating wear to the point where things eventually fail.

Post #15405206th Oct 2015 4:20 pm
NickyN

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

Had our 54 plate HSE inspected at Hunters Chester today. The removable hook had been clonking for a long time (had it inspected and checked by independent and deemed ok some time ago).

A discussion took place at the dealership when they implied I had exceeded the 150Kg nose-weight limit to cause the wear. The car has now done 122K miles and was used to tow a big twin axle up hill, down dale and as far south as Spain. Dynamic loading far exceeds the static noseweight. I was not aware the removable hook was 'light duty' since it is fully rated 3500kg / 150kg noseweight. It did stay on the vehicle since I could not get it off.

Outcome is a six week wait for their body shop to burn the cross member off with the car in dock for a week in December.

Finally, adding insult to injury - a nice little list of jobs was produced from the complementary health check totalling over £1800.00 and made my day complete.
 ---

Nick

LR History: RR Vogue 1984, 300TDI Disco, Series III (shed on wheels), RR Vogue SE Auto 1995 (LPG), Disco TD5ES 2002,2004 D3 HSE with spots and shiny bits and General AT's. 2013 D4 HSE Luxury. Posh bus. 2015 RRS. 

Post #15405586th Oct 2015 5:55 pm
Redgull

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

when i went in i told them at the desk that i was not interested in their check, and told them just to fix the crossmember and towbar, dont need them making up thing to get money out of me ,the main thing about the fixed i dont like is new they look Censored and when the rust , which they all do they look really Censored

Post #15405906th Oct 2015 6:52 pm
Landylover6

Bit harsh but you are entitled to your opinion as previously stated I'm quite happy with it. . When it rusts I will clean it up.
Regarding the earlier post arguing that fixed could be fitted and changed for detachable when needed, if you are willing to sign disclaimer for the detachable and pay full price for the fixed I'm sure the dealer would oblige.
Finally to the gent who's being told he's got to pay for the tow bar have you seen the letter to the dealer and customer posted on here. Not sure why you are paying for anything.
And now the worlds put to rights I'm off for a Guinness.

Post #15406956th Oct 2015 9:31 pm
swansty

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

NickyN wrote:
Had our 54 plate HSE inspected at Hunters Chester today. The removable hook had been clonking for a long time (had it inspected and checked by independent and deemed ok some time ago).

A discussion took place at the dealership when they implied I had exceeded the 150Kg nose-weight limit to cause the wear. The car has now done 122K miles and was used to tow a big twin axle up hill, down dale and as far south as Spain. Dynamic loading far exceeds the static noseweight. I was not aware the removable hook was 'light duty' since it is fully rated 3500kg / 150kg noseweight. It did stay on the vehicle since I could not get it off.

Outcome is a six week wait for their body shop to burn the cross member off with the car in dock for a week in December.

Finally, adding insult to injury - a nice little list of jobs was produced from the complementary health check totalling over £1800.00 and made my day complete.

A week? Are they burning it off with a candle? My crossmember was replaced in an afternoon.

Post #15408107th Oct 2015 8:23 am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

UffBrock wrote:
If it’s as easy as that, is there any reason why one can’t have the best of both worlds – i.e. opt for/insist on a new fixed bar on the basis of caravan safety, then remove it to storage (? two chassis bolts and the component that locks into the tow socket), revert to inserting the removable hook when required for light trailer use but reinstall the braced tow assembly when required for towing the caravan? It would be real hassle but only create the situation one thought existed when buying the vehicle in the first place.

The removable towbar is still fine for towing a caravan. The important thing is that it's removed from the vehicle and greased etc. The issue isn't the bar itself, so much as how it's used. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #15408967th Oct 2015 10:48 am
Landylover6

I agree however I was working on the assumption the dealer may say the detachable needs to be changed.

Post #15411337th Oct 2015 5:41 pm
jagbloke

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've had my letter. My D3 doesn't have a towbar of any kind, no electrics present. I don't tow anything (unsurprisingly with nothing fitted). I am thinking I will just ignore this - would I be daft?

Post #15421599th Oct 2015 12:07 pm
Matt

Wales 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Had my recall letter Saturday morning.Went to Stratstone Cardiff on the Tuesday booked in for the next day new fixed tow bar fitted and on my way home in 2hrs.Must say totally different attitude to when I was there 12 months ago..... Thumbs Up

Matt
 Discovery 4 SDV6 XS Firenze Red Ebony Leather

Club DuraTrac BLACK POWDER COATED 19 hse wheels
Disco 3 gone but not forgotten 

Post #15422149th Oct 2015 2:05 pm
CDS
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Lost for Words wrote:
The important thing is that it's removed from the vehicle and greased etc. The issue isn't the bar itself, so much as how it's used. Thumbs Up

The handbook supplement is quite clear that the towbar should never be greased:

Quote:
The housing should be kept dirt and corrosion-free on the points of contact. The surfaces only require cleaning with a cloth. Grease or other lubricants should never be used!

If towing a tintent with an Al-ko stabiliser it's also in,portent not to grease or lubricate the actual tow ball as the stabiliser relies on the friction the pads put on the towball to reduce the sway, along with the 'van brakes of course.

Discovery 3/4 & RRS keys cut and programmed at your home or work
Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto retro fit - see it here
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blanking
Software updates/ enabling
Mobile Servicing & Repairs

Post #154283010th Oct 2015 8:12 pm
Wilko_UK

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
Job done..

Took mine in today for 'the check', which failed. I've had the detachable tow hook on the car ever since I bought it two years ago and have been towing caravans with it without a thought. Still, to Land Rovers credit, they had the parts in stock for the FOC fixed tow bar replacement and they did it there and then. Can't really complain about that since I'm due to be 'towing' again this coming weekend.
Very Happy Very Happy

Post #154349312th Oct 2015 3:13 pm
CEZ1869

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

So if it fails,you have to have the fixed one? I have a detachable one that I haven't used yet since ownership about 7 months ago, purchased a removable one from here, but only to use in conjunction with a cycle rack on it.. I don't really want to have a fixed one though

Current: D3 2005 HSE
Previous: D2 2001 TD5
D2 4.0 V8
1998 P38 Rangie 

Post #154353012th Oct 2015 4:51 pm
Wilko_UK

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I'm not sure.. I think you can have a detachable one replaced with another but you have to accept lower loading figures and sign an undertaking that you understand that it is not a permanent arrangement and needs to be stowed when not in use. Or so I've heard.

Post #154353312th Oct 2015 4:59 pm
CEZ1869

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Cool, I'll give them a call & see what they say Thumbs Up

Current: D3 2005 HSE
Previous: D2 2001 TD5
D2 4.0 V8
1998 P38 Rangie 

Post #154353512th Oct 2015 5:04 pm
filo

Italy 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

sadly nobody here in Italy (atleast the two dealers I talked to) is aware of the Q393 campaign
maybe our swan necks are stronger Rolling with laughter
mine surely isn't

F.

Post #154355612th Oct 2015 5:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 53 of 68 <123 ... 525354 ... 666768>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >