Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Q393-Detachable Towbar & LR Letter ***ALL HERE***
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 56 of 68 <123 ... 555657 ... 666768>
ste

2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

First registered December 2009
To be honest, not a massive amount of towing. Caravan 3/4 times per year. And small bateson trailer once per week; under 10.000 miles per year

Post #155279729th Oct 2015 3:17 pm
ielwood

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Booked

Just got mine booked in at Shucker Shrewsbury this Saturday morning for its inspection.
Keep you posted. Thumbs Up

Post #15549002nd Nov 2015 3:39 pm
Antjp

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I took mine in last Friday. My leisure bar (as its now called) was ok so I got a instruction book with max nose weights to adhere to. Smile

Post #15553163rd Nov 2015 2:08 pm
Andym01207

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Clean bill of health on mine this am. Thankfully, as I really didn't want the fixed agricultural one

Post #15569096th Nov 2015 11:45 am
ielwood

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Failed

Just back from a relaxing visit to Shuckers, Shrewsbury. Tow bar has failed inspection. Booked in for a three day holiday. Rear cross member cut out and replace and a fixed tow bar fitted. At least i'll get a new D4 to play with for a few days Laughing

Post #15574507th Nov 2015 12:56 pm
Bigcol66

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Good result then Thumbs Up

Post #15575437th Nov 2015 4:29 pm
SouthernWombat

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

uncletoobey - they have not only cut the inside trim but also completely removed the outer trim panel.
I have the same rear trim and had been asking how they would fit it - thanks Big Cry

Post #15577177th Nov 2015 9:30 pm
supercover

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I had mine in for the check about a month ago and it passed. I fitted it to tow my caravan and it was fine, no movement at all. I went away again this weekend and on unhitching the van I found about two centimeters of side to side play in the towbar where previously there was non. The bar is removed unless actually towing the caravan.
I am rather concerned that the receiver or bar is wearing rapidly, I have covered a few hundred miles over the two trips. I can see shiny areas on the towbar and it does look worn. I tow a big twin axle caravan.
Has anyone had this happen and what did the dealer say when you took it back?

Post #15587989th Nov 2015 9:26 pm
RJ Landy Man

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

When I had mine checked, this is the tool they use. As said in another post, if the green locking mechanism lines up in the red, then it fails. Landrover then test with a new detachable ball...Mine passed!

Click image to enlarge

Post #156113614th Nov 2015 6:02 pm
Disco65

Wales 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Help! I've only just seen this thread. I'm picking up my new Discovery 4 HSE on Wednesday and ordered a detachable towing bracket. Should I have ordered a fixed one?? I tow a big caravan often. Advice please. Dave

Post #156116514th Nov 2015 7:11 pm
Home lover

Ukraine 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Thanks for clarifying. I'm content to carry on towing!

Post #156117314th Nov 2015 7:18 pm
vinnyp

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Mine was great at stratstone. They must have decided change it anyway as they booked it in for the day and gave me a curtesy car. Got it back at the end of the day with new adjustable tow bar, full report on the car, brakes everything, full valet, what's not to like

Post #156128514th Nov 2015 10:02 pm
frenchy

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Light and occasional wiggling will test it Wink
 2000 D2 TD5 - big red tractor no longer with us
2006 D3 - no longer with us and sadly missed
2010 D4 alas no more, but a lovely colour (Nara)
2016 D4 departed
2022 DiscoSport 45mpg, but its not a D4 

Post #156133915th Nov 2015 12:42 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Rocar

vinnyp wrote:
Mine was great at stratstone. They must have decided change it anyway as they booked it in for the day and gave me a curtesy car. Got it back at the end of the day with new adjustable tow bar, full report on the car, brakes everything, full valet, what's not to like

Rocar Hudds...
"Did" mine....I wasn't in any doubt that mine would fail as the hook gphas only been in when needed & when in is a really snug fit.
My next door neighbour with a D4 - his was swapped for the fixed in place thing which he hates.....he never took his hook out so must have rattled itself to a failed condition

Rocar also did the safety check in my D3 & got it horribly wrong.....the sheet listed all sorts of faults with worn this & that that needs to renewed...
More or less the same as a service done some 2012 months previous....al that was listed + more was sorted at the Indie I use in Leeds...at a far better cost per hour (& with guys who have the capability & seem to care).

When I challenged this they went into meltdown & said it was thier system that couldn't clear the reported issues until they did them...so in effect they issued a report that wasn't factually correct & unbleivabky didn't actually look.
So the safety check to me was not just worthless but factually incorrect. I protested at the time & also by phone to thier service manager....he wrote to me to apologise & state thier system was being changed..the computer one that is. Whether the work & checks the guys do has been analysed & brought to a standard isn't clear.

Not removing the hook on home lovers Disco to conduct the check when as shown above there is a gauge for this means the check wasn't done....which on a safety recall just isn't on in my humble....whatever they did was subjective. I would be taking it back & remonstrating very firmly stating this. It doesn't just show incompetence but an arrogance, don't care, not bothered, "let's do it this way". That shouldn't exist at a main dealers. I wonder what LR Liam thinks of this ?

Rocar used to be excellent as regards services & repairs....but then they had Graham (who passed away late last year) who oversaw the work. What happened to me is frightening. That is why all my work is by an independant now. Main dealers are OK to good with standard things like services & routine repairs (parts changes)....it depends on the day & who you are lucky / unlucky enough to get on the day. It's not just the "labour" you are paying for its their knowledge....

Independents (who depend on thier existance by customer satisfaction & vehicles that work) were always part of the scene...with more springing up. One has just started up in Halifax (Stone Lake) smack bang next door to the other Perry's outlet Copley Land Rover....I mean right next door.
You just wonder how each can "operate" if there is friendly rivalry, hostility or even some cooperation.

You "pays your money & takes your choice" sadly you also take a huge risk with your kit that you have to get & keep right with your funds. You can't be too careful.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #156142115th Nov 2015 11:05 am
Gravon42

United Kingdom 

My Son has just bought a Disco 3, 2007, and will not have seen this topic. He has a tow ball
which appears to be held in with a Yale type key, which he has not been given, so is not able
to remove it.
Are replacement keys readily available? From LR or tow bar manufacture? Does this problem
affect all makes of tow bar, or one particular make?

Another problem Big Cry how does the filler cap work? Previous owner says "I open it with
a credit card" What is the CORRECT method?

Cheers Thumbs Up

Post #156207316th Nov 2015 8:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 56 of 68 <123 ... 555657 ... 666768>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >