Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Q393-Detachable Towbar & LR Letter ***ALL HERE***
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 57 of 68 <123 ... 565758 ... 666768>
Sydney

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Quote:
My Son has just bought a Disco 3, 2007, and will not have seen this topic. He has a tow ball
which appears to be held in with a Yale type key, which he has not been given, so is not able
to remove it.
Are replacement keys readily available? From LR or tow bar manufacture? Does this problem
affect all makes of tow bar, or one particular make?

Another problem Big Cry how does the filler cap work? Previous owner says "I open it with
a credit card" What is the CORRECT method?

Cheers Thumbs Up

We can't say how to get the bar off due to lots of thefts of these things. If you buy a new lock assembly all will become apparent.

As for opening the filler cap cover, should just have to push it in and it should pop open. Sounds like the catch might be broken.
 De-Tango
V8 Brakes
EGRs blanked
Running boards
3 flash indicators and clock on dash
Blingy grille... 

Post #156209716th Nov 2015 9:12 pm
Gravon42

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the reply Sydney. Just been looking at video on utube. It would appear to be
a Thule make, with a lever. If he buys a lock assembly, are there any instructions on how
to change it? If there is no key surely this is not possible.
Could you PM me with an answer?

Post #156210316th Nov 2015 9:21 pm
Sydney

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Can't PM, against forum rules.

Get the lock, it comes with instructions!!!
 De-Tango
V8 Brakes
EGRs blanked
Running boards
3 flash indicators and clock on dash
Blingy grille... 

Post #156212116th Nov 2015 9:58 pm
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Went in for a B service & MoT at Listers, Hereford this morning.

They did the Q393 test and I had mentioned beforehand that I do about 4K a year towing my tintent, although there didn't seem to be much play in the detachable hook.

Came away with a shiney new fixed towbar, but it looks like a flipping plough on the back - what's more, they kept the old detachable.
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #156253017th Nov 2015 8:05 pm
cheshiredisco

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I took my 08 Disco3 to the dealers to have it checked. They say its failed. Requires new crossmember and fixed towbar requiring a week at the garage. Prior to the disco I towed with BMW and Mercedes all with factory fitted detachable towbars. I tow a caravan MTPL 1900Kg several times a year (5-6) Never exceeded the max lowball weight as I'm anal about correct loading.

Neighbours D4 passed with fling colours yet when we played around with the towbar on both vehicles his literally wobbles whereas mine was rigid in situ.

The option of a fixed towbar to me is a non starter. Its totally spoils the aesthetics of the car.I have hung on to my D3 waiting for the new D5 model later next year. I have a new caravan on order so it wasn't in the budget to replace the current car. Now looking at the D4 offers I could be tempted with a new D4 or demo hold on to it for a few years until all the bugs in the D4 replacement are sorted out then change again. The question I have asked my dealer is can landcover guarantee the stability of the detachable towbar if I buy a new D4 and what are the options for my current D3. Failing that I've looked at the sport but the prospect of parting with £65K plus and possibly compromising space and flexibility isn't making it an obvious replacement. I've looked into the new Volvo XC90 and was very impressed with what they have to offer. BMW back into the mix too.

I fear landrover will lose some dedicated users if as I was told "the detachable towbar isn't suitable for towing caravan" Disclaimer signed so now £32K caravan on order and prospect of no vehicle not sitting too well at present.

Post #156291118th Nov 2015 3:17 pm
cheshiredisco

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Re: Retractable Tow Bar

qwick69 wrote:
Well, I have had my replacement fitted. It is terrible. I was told I would get a replacement, not a full fixed agricultural tow bar !!!. If I towed commercially or was a farmer, that would be fine, but I use mine maybe 3 times a year. I bought my car new 4 years ago and specified the retractable tow bar just for that reason, I didnt use it much.
I now have a massive tow bar that protrudes, everytime my wife (whos car it is) goes to undo the boot, she clobbers herself on it.
I cannot understand that I can go into the showroom and buy a brand new Discovery with the exact same retractable tow bar, but yet if I now want that put back on mny car, I have to sign a disclaimer to say if it breaks, its down to me.
I looked at buying a new one a couple of months ago as its the perfect car for us and ours has now done 90k miles, however the dealer said a new model was coming out in 12-18 months. I therefore decided to wait to get one of those.
Not a chance now. Volvo, Audi, Merc, here I come for a 4 x 4. What a pity, LR have lost a very loyal customer.
Has anyone else had the same issue, or have they had a retractable replaced.
L

My thoughts too.Damned if i'm having a replacement "forced" on me but if thats the case there's no way LR will get my money. BMW and Volvo all do electronic towbars with the lugging capability. Offload is limited to an occasional field or snow soy's sure they will cope

Post #156293618th Nov 2015 4:09 pm
Disco65

Wales 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Very unhappy.
Just picked up my new Discovery 4 and was assured by Dealer ,Service Manager etc that OK to leave my Detachable tow ball in situ.
Just got home and reading the owners handbook, there is a supplementary page on detachable towball.
Quote:
When not required for immediate use it MUST (their capitals) be removed.
Failure to detach when not in use will lead to premature wear, loosening and potential detachment.

Now about to contact Dealer and say it is not fit for purpose and demand a replacement fixed one.

Dave (also disco2003)

[img]

[/img]

Post #156295418th Nov 2015 4:41 pm
albal

United Kingdom 
LPG accepted at Hunters, Southampton for Tow Hitch Recall

I've got my fuel bomb in with Hunters. So this is for all the LPG'ers out there who think a main dealer won't touch it.

Only me! Apologies for not reading all 57 pages - beanz meanz I've not got much timez

As you may know I'm the PRT with the D3 V8 LPG Disco who runs on Road Tyres. Anyway just wanted to let those know who have been refused by the Land Rover Main Dealer to have their vehicle seen or worked on by the LR MD that Hunters have accepted mine to be looked at. I spoke to the service desk first to explain and they asked me not to mention the LPG when booking a slot.

I may be pre-empting as my slot is not until this coming week...

While it is in they have agreed to do a full inspection and report (mine was built Sept 04) including a full Valet for only £99. Poor PRT has only had 3 washes, twice in a few months since owning it - not the first but as I'm the 6th owner and it's been on LPG since 3K miles probably quite interesting.

I've broken a few things on purpose to see if they do a proper check - nothing on safety of course.

I've just bought another car so maybe saying farewell to PRT. Make of it what you will 'Party' or remove the 'Y' and add the move the 'A' if you will.

Depending on the report it may be time to turn it in - just a heads up if I do it will Snow horrendously this year Wink

Yes should have got diesel - it is for tractors Razz

Ignore my trolling I'm always in the wrong, don't join me Thumbs Up

Post #156869428th Nov 2015 3:58 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Disco65 wrote:

Now about to contact Dealer and say it is not fit for purpose and demand a replacement fixed one.

Whether it is fit for purpose depends on your use ..your dealer should have asked what type of towing you do and the frequency. Given the service action I would hope they won't argue with you if you need to change it. Smile
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #156870928th Nov 2015 4:17 pm
drout

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Had my MY11 D4 in for 75k service, mentioned the tow bar and was assured that my vehicle wasn't covered by all this.

Had to laugh when they presented the loan D4 - complete with detachable tow bar erm attached!

Post #156942829th Nov 2015 9:13 pm
Mogwyth

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: LPG accepted at Hunters, Southampton for Tow Hitch Recall

albal wrote:
I've got my fuel bomb in with Hunters. So this is for all the LPG'ers out there who think a main dealer won't touch it.

Only me! Apologies for not reading all 57 pages - beanz meanz I've not got much timez

As you may know I'm the PRT with the D3 V8 LPG Disco who runs on Road Tyres. Anyway just wanted to let those know who have been refused by the Land Rover Main Dealer to have their vehicle seen or worked on by the LR MD that Hunters have accepted mine to be looked at. I spoke to the service desk first to explain and they asked me not to mention the LPG when booking a slot.
:

My local dealers weren't bothered at all, and did a full safety check etc
 ==================================
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
03 MG TF 115 Cool Blue Edition
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #156943329th Nov 2015 9:19 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Just back from Hunters Southampton where my D3 has just had the Q393 inspection while I waited (and I helped myself to an endless supply of coffee and muffins whilst pondering what you actually get over and above my D3 S Manual in a £60k D4 HSE). Laughing

All passed, unsurprisingly (since I mainly only use the NAS 2" Hitch Receiver in the towbar socket).

They also did a visual health check (couple of advisories picked-up, which I knew about) and returned it to me looking far cleaner than it has for some time. Thumbs Up

Take note, Al. Very Happy

No complaints here. Thank you, Hunters. Thumbs Up

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #15709732nd Dec 2015 2:12 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Quote:
(and I helped myself to an endless supply of coffee and muffins whilst pondering what you actually get over and above my D3 S Manual in a £60k D4 HSE)

Jam. Laughing Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #15710012nd Dec 2015 2:48 pm
comedyharvey

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Took mine into Guy Salmon in Bristol yesterday. Apparently needs new crossmember, fixed Towbar etc. Bit surprised really, I use it maybe twice a month towing either a horsebox or Ifor Williams flatbed and have never left the tow ball in when not in use. As they're large and heavy trailers I'm not too unhappy with the prospect of a fixed Towbar.

Anyway, I've booked it in for January, which suits me, and signed the disclaimer as I've a couple of very local towing jobs in the meantime.

I've never used Guy Salmon before but I was impressed with the staff I met, very helpful and friendly. Even came away with a free Christmas Pud Laughing
 Arthur.
Comedy was a horse, Harvey a dog, both sadly gone. Thought I was choosing a password!

Currently;
Discovery 3 HSE 2009
101" Fwd. Control 1976
Nuffield 10/90 Tractor (10/60 with 6 cylinder conversion) 1964

Previously;
Series III Lightweight. 1976. 

Post #15710112nd Dec 2015 3:15 pm
MattTheTall77

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Took mine in to Marshall Land Rover Lincoln yesterday., hadn't been able to get it fully locked in since I bought the car last year. The locking mechanism would release but wouldn't insert into the hole in the crossmember as it wouldn't insert high enough, and would then be a git to get off.

Service chap didn't ask about towing usage when I was sat signing it in, so said I was told to tell them what I wanted to use it for, horse box every weekend plus trailer during week.

Still came back out with removable (I wanted fixed) saying they'd cleaned the tow bar and managed to get it in ok. I even said once it's in I'm leaving it in for good, so he sent someone out to make sure it went in ok.

So they knew how much towing it will do, and that I'm going to leave it in there permanently Sad

Post #15713543rd Dec 2015 5:52 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 57 of 68 <123 ... 565758 ... 666768>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >