Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Dodgy Finance!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MiniNick

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Dodgy Finance!

Well I went to sell my car today in preparation of getting my new Disco next week (woohoo) and found out to my surprise that it somehow has an outstanding finance agreement out on it! Since i have owned the car from new and i purchased it outright i was somewhat shocked and i didn't believe the other person but after a quick HPI check that confirmed it!

It seems that someone has taken out finance deal out on my car last Weds for three months. Censored

Obviously the loan company is open on the weekend so i have to sit and stew in anger till monday before venting my anger and some poor unsuspecting loan company.

Just wondering if this had happened to anyone else or if this is some sort of scam?

Cheers

Nick

Post #144638821st Mar 2015 10:37 pm
Taztastic

https://www.autoadvance.co.uk

All too easy to get a loan secured against a car, forged V5 would be easy.

Post #144640321st Mar 2015 11:14 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Keep us updated on this - and if the finance company confirm that a loans been taken out against your reg AND your VIN, get the police involved ASAP. Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #144657322nd Mar 2015 1:21 pm
Dave

United Kingdom 

Perhaps your car has been cloned?
 Captain Nick Medhurst would ask:
"What is the first rule when overlanding?"

I would Reply:
"Duratrac" 

Post #144657722nd Mar 2015 1:52 pm
MiniNick

From carrying out an HPI check it seems the loan was taken out on my VIN (but i cannot tell on the reg until i phone them tomorrow). The type of loan is a Unit Stocking, which it tells me is common in the motor trade (financing cars sat on a forecourt). The HPI check gave me the company name and agreement number so hopefully I can track this down quickly.

The main pain in the Censored was that i was using this money to buy the Disco! While I can still afford to buy the Disco without selling my car, it means taking out a new insurance policy to cover the Disco rather than transferring it. Evil or Very Mad

Post #144658422nd Mar 2015 2:18 pm
anjo14

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The problem with modern cars is the VIN is shown on the front screen for all to see including crooks. It just a matter of a few quick photos on a smart phone of the vehicle that is going to be cloned then a fake V5.

I assume if the police get involved they will be able to run your plate and see if your vehicle has shown up else where in the UK under the registration recognition system you just never know.
 D3 TDV6 S MY2005  
Post #144659422nd Mar 2015 2:40 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Nick, you may not get very far with the finance company as they will quote Data Protection at you. Their agreement isn't with you, so they cannot legally disclose info to you regardless of the circumstances.

That's not to say it's a waste of time, far from it. What they can do, and I would expect them to do, is take all your details, then call or have their rep visit the dealer to perform an urgent physical stock check on their stock finance. If you have documentation (V5 and perhaps your original invoice) to indicate likely* clear title in your name have this handy to email over to the finance company.

Remember the potential fraud is not likely to have been perpetrated by the finance company but by a dealer or third party. They will be every bit as keen as you to resolve this, but are very constrained on what they can say to you so keep cool - you want them on your side. Best scenario will be to agree a short but reasonable timetable for them to report back if they propose to clear the HPI entry, and if not, why not.

Many moons ago I used to perform these audits on dealers and hire fleets and about 1 in 10 unearthed some extremely dubious stock levels / documentation vs. the loans.

Fingers crossed you can get this turned around within 2-3 days. Thumbs Up

(*I say "likely" as I have invoices and a V5 here for my three cars - but could have financed them AFTER buying them - see link posted by Taz for an example of how this happens)
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #144678422nd Mar 2015 8:56 pm
MiniNick

NoDo$h thanks for all the advice. Thumbs Up

Will see what they say tomorrow. Do you think it's worth letting the DVLA know too as they could re-issue a new V5 with a new serial number?

Post #144687722nd Mar 2015 10:54 pm
Alan B

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Apr 300.30% Thud Thud Thud

Why would anyone use a company that charges that?

Good luck getting sorted out Thumbs Up
 D3 57 xs Stornaway grey
D2 02 commercial silver gone but a great servant and won't be forgotten

Iid Bluetooth 

Post #144688622nd Mar 2015 11:09 pm
Mogwyth

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

People with poor credit history, who probably shouldn't be getting loans!
 ==================================
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
03 MG TF 115 Cool Blue Edition
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #144690423rd Mar 2015 12:04 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Might be a incorrect entry on HPI, it happens quite a lot.

Post #144694423rd Mar 2015 8:22 am
MiniNick

Well phoned the finance company today and explained the situation. As NoDo$h said they would not tell me who made the agreement but they did say it was a dealership that was looking to part exchange my car.

Essentially they said sometimes if a dealership plans to part exchange a car they will setup a finance on it. Hence it was only for three months.

Now the only dealership who have looked at my car to part exchange it is LR.

But unfortunately I have no way on knowing if it is LR for definite. I was tempted to go back to the loan company and ask what proof of ownership did the dealer provide and surely they check this on every loan..... But now that it's sorted I am feeling less angered about the situation.

Post #144722423rd Mar 2015 6:57 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

What has the LR dealer said? I'd have thought an "OI, what you lot playing at?" conversation is in order. Thumbs Up

Post #144722823rd Mar 2015 6:59 pm
Mr Kington

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

How can they set up finance on it if it isn't theirs. Doesnt this stop you now selling it privately should you wish too ?

I would phone the dealer and make it out that the finance company told you it was them, call their bluff.

wouldn't be good publicity I am sure
 James favourite hobby is writing in the third person.  
Post #144723623rd Mar 2015 7:13 pm
Tiger

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Dealerships run stocking plans, this is how the pay for the used cars they have in stock. Usually up to an agreed amount £2m say.

Usually for 90 days per car.

Dead easy you go onto a online portal, put the value of the car in, VIN and then the bank gives the dealer 60-70% of the stand in value back into their account.

They pay interest over the 90 days / remove it when it's sold.

Kinda like a rolling credit line.

If they are low on stock and cash flow is tight (end of month wages) they may 'cheekily' pop cars that they expect to see in PX in the next few days onto the plan early to ease cashflow.

Shouldn't be on a stocking plan until it's 'physical' though. They will be in breach of their agreement. If they are audited by the bank they would have to explain where it is and why there is no purchase invoice.

It's not been cloned but they have wrongly securred credit against your car. If this is the dealer you are buying from ask very nicely for a few things as compensation for your lost sale... Thumbs Up Whistle

Post #144724123rd Mar 2015 7:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >