Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

ENGINE SYSTEM FAULT - LOSS OF POWER
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
FarringtonHouse

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
ENGINE SYSTEM FAULT - LOSS OF POWER

DISCO 3, 2005, 36,500 miles, owned from new full service history. Took car to Guy Salmon Land Rover dealer for MOT which passed with flying colours with no advisories. On leaving the garage 2 miles up the road lights came on saying ‘Engine System Fault’ causing vehicle to lose power and go into limp home mode. I took the car straight back to the garage and they did a diagnostic test which came up with a fuel problem. Garage replaced fuel filter but problem still existed, diagnostic test then said ‘injector 1 fault’, garage then took an injector from another discovery to test it. All seemed well until they did a road test when the same fault occurred. They put car back on diagnostics but still showing a ‘Fuel Fault’. Garage dropped the fuel tank and cleaned the gauze on the low pressure fuel pump. Again, all seemed well but on road test same fault occurred. Garage have now advised me my bill is £500+ Big Cry and I have a problem that I didn’t have when it went in. The garage now tell me they would like to fit a new low pressure fuel pump but there is no guarantee that this will rectify the problem. Can anyone help Question – has anyone had the same problem and if so what was the resolve? An urgent response would be appreciated as I need to let them know asap.
PS this car was bought new from this dealer and we have never taken it anywhere else other than a garage in Scotland when the EGR valves failed earlier this year.
 Faz
Disco3 TDV6 7 Seat 

Post #8678566th Dec 2011 9:43 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

As part of the MOT, they have to give the engine some serious revs for the smoke test. This may have affected something, but without fault codes and someone who knows what they mean, we are all guessing.

Worst case scenario I suppose is that your turbo is faulty, and the mot test tipped it over the edge. There are a lot cheaper things to try before it gets to that though.

Post #8678996th Dec 2011 10:32 pm
ajg_e

Australia 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Hi,
I had this problem on my 2007 disco. Tried all the usual things fuel filter, Brake light battery etc.
Turned out to be the High Pressure fuel pump.
The dealer changed it and no problems since.
I posted the faults back when it happened see http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic64223.html
Hope this helps
Regards
Andrew

Post #8682717th Dec 2011 8:16 pm
jm

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi, had similar problem with my 57 Disco. I've owned it from new, full service history, etc, etc, Car was fine for the first 2 years or 20,000 miles and then ESF especially when towing up hills. Car went back to main dealers after each episode, but try as they might they were never able to really diagnose the problem. Untill this summer, first they tried replacing the turbo actuator arm, which didn't cure the problem. Then they replaced the turbo.....sorted. I'm sorry but I can't tell you what the actual fault codes were, but it pointed to over-boost.
Reading other forum members problems re ESF, it looks as though a number of, or combination of faults could be responsible, at the end of the day I had to keep putting my trust in the dealers, who eventually came out on top. My patience was rewarded though, because Land Rover paid for all the repair work. Good luck. JM.

Post #8685168th Dec 2011 2:43 pm
FarringtonHouse

Thanks for your replies. After several days of diagnostic testing the dealer sent the error codes to Land Rover who diagnosed a faulty HIGH pressure fuel pump. We had the pump replaced and all seems well except for a very hefty bill Big Cry
 Faz
Disco3 TDV6 7 Seat 

Post #87680530th Dec 2011 8:07 pm
lad

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Cheeky question how much was the bill? There seem to be a few that suffer from the symptoms, me being one! I've been through changing a lot of parts apart from high pressure pump!

Post #87695931st Dec 2011 1:13 am
FarringtonHouse

Before they fit the fuel pump the diagnostic charges were £500 + VAT and all they had done was fit a fuel filter and swapped an injector from another stock vehicle. They quoted us £1500 + vat including diagnostics to fit it, so we told them that we wanted to collect the vehicle and would get it diagnosed and repaired elsewhere as we had lost confidence in them. We pointed out that the car was fine before it went in the garage and that they initially told us it required a low pressure fuel pump then they changed their mind and then said it needed a high pressure pump. Had we let them fit the low pressure fuel pump we would now be looking at a bill of over £2k. We decided to take the vehicle somewhere else and turned up to collect it, the garage really didn't want us to do this and desperately tried to resolve the issue. We argued with them and evetually the garage agreed to waive the cost of fitting the pump so we eventually paid £1150 (inc. VAT). We were quoted £850 by a local 4x4 centre to fita H/P fuel pump.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Faz
 Faz
Disco3 TDV6 7 Seat 

Post #87696631st Dec 2011 1:51 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I still wonder whether the specific engine smoke test that is required by the mot test tipped your pump over the edge. Bad luck for all concerned if it did Confused

Post #87698431st Dec 2011 8:49 am
lad

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thank faz Thumbs Up like Gareth says, it seems funny that since the car has been MOT'ed it has shown this fault. Rolling Eyes

Post #87700931st Dec 2011 10:37 am
Stay Frosty

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Funnily enough I had my car MOT'd mid July, the day before I went away for for for a month. Came back and got in the car, Bong, Engine System Fault. Censored

Got it hooked up to a reader and it came up with P132B Turbo boost control A Performance. Its very lazy when pulling away, but drives OK once you get it going!

Post #96796021st Aug 2012 9:17 am
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

hope to get mine back today after new hpfp belt fitted , just hope the belt was warn ,and not some thing made it break Shocked Thumbs Up
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #96798021st Aug 2012 10:27 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PEELAR

Kenya 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi There
my first post. I have been following posts on this site and they are quite helpful. I have a disco 3 2008 HSE and have developed engine fault loosing power , lowering , Limited gears, HDC off . The dealers recommended change of fuel filter, no change, Have now changed fuel pump in the tank but the problem still persists.

They are talking of changing High pressure Injector pump , quite expensive , but am not sure this will solve the problem.

please help .

Peelar Confused

Post #16487791st May 2016 11:13 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >