Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

P080 - Recall - Crankshaft Position Signal Issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
lee157

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I'm a bit confused by this, had my D4 recalled by Landrover, my vin falls in CA641***, so in the tighter vin range, but they only replaced the sensor, when questioning the pickup ring, they replied, no only the sensor to be done as per recall letter.

Should it have had the ring done too??

No issues with the D4 either before or after.

Lee

Post #16870981st Aug 2016 6:57 pm
LandPhil

United Kingdom 

As I understand it cars built with a Vin before the tight range have a different sensor/ring and if it fails they will need both the ring and sensor changed. Cars in the tighter range with a different sensor need only the sensor part changed.

I think you can relax job done.
 FFRR Westminster TDV8
D4 HSE MY12 Aintree Green. Great car
RRS HSE Lux MY11 Stornoway Grey
Freelander2 SD4 HSE-Best car I have ever owned. 

Post #16871751st Aug 2016 8:56 pm
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Mine's an MY12 and sits in the wider vin range, but not within the more recent tighter range.

My reading of the P080 service action is LR are doing the cheaper jobs first ie. sensor only. Those with the old type sensor that needs a new pickup ring as well (the wider vin range) are being ignored by P080 because the pick up ring replacement is much more expensive (body off or gearbox out).

I'm not concerned about the cost cos I've got the Warranty Direct Luxury Care package, but I do care about the safety aspects of the failure, and the possibility of the sensor failing when I'm in France with the tintent on the back.
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #16872612nd Aug 2016 12:44 am
Ecosse

Mr.Pastry wrote:
I have downloaded hundreds of technical service bulletins from Topix.

Here's LTB00680 Whistle

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...B00680.doc

Just had the P080 carried out - 1 hour later the car stalled!! - the very (previously non existent) problem it was mean to resolve. Car rescued back to dealer!
Appeared they only replaced the sensor, not the sensor ring, and on speaking with LR Customer Services, they are denying the existence of Technical Bulletin LTB00680 regarding needing a sensor ring with a specified VIN range! (which mine falls in) Road test after repair was only1-2 miles, garage claiming LR do not allow more than that!, LR Assistance however advised that to test repair had to be brought up to temperature, and LR CS saying they don't restrict the test drive!
Anyone able to confirm on LTB00680?, and which cars need more than just the sensor?

Post #16877713rd Aug 2016 11:57 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Did you take a copy of the TSB provided above to dealer and asked them why they have caused your vehicle to breakdown?

Question
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #16877823rd Aug 2016 12:32 pm
Ecosse

Yes, and explanation was that they were just following the P080 recall to the letter & as it did not refer them to the Tech Bulletin they couldn't do anything extra! - and now strangely that Tech Bulletin appears not to exist on Topix!!

Post #16877843rd Aug 2016 12:35 pm
Ecosse

Mr.Pastry wrote:
I have downloaded hundreds of technical service bulletins from Topix.

Here's LTB00680 Whistle

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...B00680.doc

Robbie - LR CS have asked for a copy of the TSB - have just emailed it to them asking for confirmation, as it is difficult to reconcile how they think it does not exist with the above posting.....

Post #16877873rd Aug 2016 12:52 pm
dlgis

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Isnt your car 2010 and therefore not currently subject to the recall? My understanding is that the type of CP sensor was changed in early 2012, and that cars within the tighter VIN range only need a replacement CPS under the recall as the trigger wheel is compatible. If an earlier car needs the CPS replacing then either it needs to be with an older style CPS (if still available) to match your trigger wheel. Or replaced with a new style CPS and a new trigger wheel. (Body off!) I have tried getting more info from a garage owning mate who has good contacts at an LR dealership but theyve gone very quiet on him!
 D4 GS 12MY  
Post #16877913rd Aug 2016 1:00 pm
Ecosse

Thanks Digis - my previous car was indeed 2010, current is 2012!! Yes I have a sense of deja vue from how the tow bar issue was dealt with, so not surprised you are encountering silence. Lets see if LR CS now confirm the Tech Bulletin that they can't find!

Post #16877923rd Aug 2016 1:03 pm
Billy B

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Seems to be a lot of chat with about what should and what should not be completed with this recall. As you are aware my D4 was done last week by Hunters, Norwich. They had trouble with trying to place just the sensor my vin is a CA 643.... a 2012 Reg. IT falls in the batch according to topix for replacement of both parts ie trigger wheel and sensor. It would appear that Hunters had to get LR approval to complete the work, that is why mine took so long. Hope this helps.

Billy b
 Nothing is foolproof as the ingenuity of fools is endless.

2012 Discovery 4 HSE Luxury 

Post #16878093rd Aug 2016 2:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ecosse

Billy - thanks, yes that does help - mine is also a CA6.. falling into that (now disappeared) Topix batch - I'll push the dealer to get LR approval, without being too cynical it may just be a cost issue that slows up automatic authorisation?...
LR CS are no longer denying the existence of the Tech Bulletin but are trying to pass the buck back to the dealer to decide what to do, rather than proactively managing it themselves as the dealer has already claimed that they can only do what LR instruct them!! Game of pass the buck going on!

Post #16878103rd Aug 2016 2:23 pm
LandPhil

United Kingdom 

The Tech Bulletin is quite clear on those cars in the vin range - change both bits. I have printed off a copy of the TSB and will keep it safe until I am called in - if that happens.
 FFRR Westminster TDV8
D4 HSE MY12 Aintree Green. Great car
RRS HSE Lux MY11 Stornoway Grey
Freelander2 SD4 HSE-Best car I have ever owned. 

Post #16878183rd Aug 2016 2:52 pm
Billy B

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I actual took a copy of the tech bulliten that Mr Pastry put up, and left it on the service mangers desk at Hunters when I picked up that wonderful Defender and went off on holiday.

Post #16878223rd Aug 2016 3:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ecosse

Well, I have just had LR CS tell me that the P080 Recall supersedes the Tech Bulletin!, which they say means that the extra work on the sensor ring is not necessary! Does not make a lot of sense, as that implies the original technical bulletin (on which some customers have carried out work & been charged for) was not correct.
I've requested confirmation in writing, as the explanation has changed as the day has gone on, from not being able to find the bulletin at all, the dealer claiming it only applied to Discovery 4's (he thought he was repairing a D3!!), to now claiming that the lesser work in the Recall (which LR is paying for, rather than customers being billed for) is all that is required! - just hope it is an effective fix Evil or Very Mad

Post #16878483rd Aug 2016 4:36 pm
Billy B

Hi All,

Well since the replacement of my sensor and trigger wheel I took the old girl out for a 100 mls plus trip over the weekend, first time I have had a chance to drive her since the recall.

What have they done?.. It was like driving a new car, smoothier, more responsive and no hesitation at roundabouts and I mean no hesitation or changing down to many gears on acceleration nothing just normal gearbox functions which in turn made it feel quicker, perma grin was apparent(so swmbo said).

It now makes me think was the software update I had done many months ago the real fault of the hesitation problem that many of us suffered or has it been the sensor all the time, not I might add has my sensor ever given me cause for concern, just a thought??

Billy B

Post #16896818th Aug 2016 9:31 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >