DISCO4.COM > General

Official cover for descent mode switchgear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
flamesnm

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Official cover for descent mode switchgear

All

Loving the Disco 3 but I also have a new springer spaniel that doesn't know car etiquette. While she's in a harness when she's in the Disco, there's just enough play in the harness for her to be able to reach and punch down on the hill descent mode and/or change the other settings. I've ghetto fixed it with gaffer tape and an old plastic lunchbox which means her paws can't get near the controls.

Is there something official that does the same job ?

Post #18008637th Apr 2017 8:43 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Don't blame the dog or the Disco, blame the trainer!
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #18008657th Apr 2017 8:48 am
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

There is a cargo barrier (also known as a dog guard) on sale in another thread.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #18008897th Apr 2017 9:23 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

flamesnm wrote:

The official something is this:

Quote:
Rule 58 of the Highway Code deals with travelling with pets and states:

“When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars.”

Potential Offences

Whilst breaching the Highway Code is not necessarily an offence in itself, there are a number of offences that could potentially arise as result of driving with an unrestrained pet. A motorist could be considered to be driving ‘without due care and attention’ if it was felt that their standard of driving fell below that expected of a competent driver or that they did not show “reasonable” consideration for other road users. There is no definitive list of actions that can amount to careless driving however a distracting unrestrained dog jumping about in a vehicle could definitely be considered to sufficient.

More concerning is the potential for an accident and if that were to arise, the more serious offence of dangerous driving could be applicable. The penalty for dangerous driving is far more severe as the offence attracts not only a custodial sentence but also a mandatory disqualification of at least twelve months.

Idea
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #18009117th Apr 2017 9:57 am
flamesnm

@Navigator - Thank you

Post #18009477th Apr 2017 11:42 am
cosmic329

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

[quote="flamesnm"]
Quote:

You lot are fun. Seems the car is good but the people who drive them and populate this forum are a bunch of Censored .

There is no need for this or the insult in response to M3DPO; both M3DPO and Robbie are respected members who have helped lots of us with tricky problems and great mods. Guess you will not be in that category now.
 Discovery 4 Landmark ‘16
Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE '65 - crank snapped Sad
Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE '61 - gone
Discovery 3 Tdv6 HSE '56 - gone
Defender 90 Tomb Raider '51 - gone
Defender 110 XS '54 - gone 

Post #18009557th Apr 2017 12:07 pm
swansty

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4
Re: Official cover for descent mode switchgear

flamesnm wrote:
All

Loving the Disco 3 but I also have a new springer spaniel that doesn't know car etiquette. While she's in a harness when she's in the Disco, there's just enough play in the harness for her to be able to reach and punch down on the hill descent mode and/or change the other settings. I've ghetto fixed it with gaffer tape and an old plastic lunchbox which means her paws can't get near the controls.

This forum is normally very helpful. I hope the first reply was meant in jest as it does seem you have taken the right measures so far.

Options I would consider are:
1. move the dog to the boot and consider a dog guard to stop her climbing over the rear seats into the main cabin. Advantage is it keeps everyone safe and when she gets muddy, the cabin doesn't suffer. Disadvantage is it limits access to the rear 2 seats if you use these.
2. Harness the dog into one of the rear seats. There shouldn't be enough length in the harness to let her reach the controls. The leash bit which goes back to the seat belt buckle should be short to avoid her flying around in the event of an accident and injuring herself/other occupants.
3. if she is harnessed into the front passenger seat, again, shorten the leash bit if you can. Even tying a few knots into it would do the job although given the proximity of the controls and the seat belt buckle, you may not be able to get it short enough.

There is no official or even unofficial cover that I am aware of as normally there isn't an issue with accidently contacting the controls. I can imagine the dog doing this and moving around is quite distracting for the driver (hence the highway code guidance above) so personally I would remove the cause rather than try to prevent the effect. ie dog in the boot or rear seats, restrained by a guard or a short harness leash.

PS: as said above, try to keep the head calm and be respectful. lashing out the insults wont help.

Post #18009577th Apr 2017 12:08 pm
furnitureman

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

well put especially the last line in my humble opinion the only safe place for a dog is in the boot, with a dog guard and restraint.

This forum is normally very helpful. I hope the first reply was meant in jest as it does seem you have taken the right measures so far.

Options I would consider are:
1. move the dog to the boot and consider a dog guard to stop her climbing over the rear seats into the main cabin. Advantage is it keeps everyone safe and when she gets muddy, the cabin doesn't suffer. Disadvantage is it limits access to the rear 2 seats if you use these.
2. Harness the dog into one of the rear seats. There shouldn't be enough length in the harness to let her reach the controls. The leash bit which goes back to the seat belt buckle should be short to avoid her flying around in the event of an accident and injuring herself/other occupants.
3. if she is harnessed into the front passenger seat, again, shorten the leash bit if you can. Even tying a few knots into it would do the job although given the proximity of the controls and the seat belt buckle, you may not be able to get it short enough.

There is no official or even unofficial cover that I am aware of as normally there isn't an issue with accidently contacting the controls. I can imagine the dog doing this and moving around is quite distracting for the driver (hence the highway code guidance above) so personally I would remove the cause rather than try to prevent the effect. ie dog in the boot or rear seats, restrained by a guard or a short harness leash.

PS: as said above, try to keep the head calm and be respectful. lashing out the insults wont help.
 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 TDV8 what a car
Discovery 3 HSE 2006 gone but never forgotten
Member of the 234,567 mile club😎

Post #18009637th Apr 2017 12:27 pm
Robbie

flamesnm wrote:
Quote:
Rule 58 of the Highway Code deals with travelling with pets and states:

“When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars.”

Gosh. Maybe you'd like to report me ? I sometimes break other elements of the highway code as well.

You lot are fun. Seems the car is good but the people who drive them and populate this forum are a bunch of Censored .

I'm not interested in reporting you, only answering your question regarding your identified safety issue. If you follow the code and suitably restrain your dog then you will have no problems with the dog operating vehicle controls or distracting you.

Safety may not be much fun but we are trying to help you, your passengers and your pet. Once everyone is safe you can go out and have fun with your vehicle.

I'm sorry you hold some of us in such low regard.

Diagnostics for:

Post #18009667th Apr 2017 12:48 pm
M3DPO

Re: ???

flamesnm wrote:
Bravo M3DPO. That's pretty Censored judgemental. I wasn't blaming anyone, especially not a 5 month old puppy who's only just taken to being in the car without throwing up.

Seems even the Land Rover forums have dicks who can't not post.

Sorry if I upset you no personal offence was intended but sometimes the truth hurts, I use the phrase "don't blame the dog blame the trainer" often to drill into dog owners that pets can be trained to do what their owners want them to do with a little discipline and thought.
At 5 months a pup should know where it's place is in the car, the doggie bit at the rear and what areas are out of bounds, seats and definitely not the front even if restrained. It's great them getting on a seat on a nice sunny day but not so good when they've just done a 5 mile walk across muddy fields and he decides to do a projectile vomit or worse from the other end Laughing .
Buy a cheap cage, never ever let the pup travel anywhere else but in the cage, thats his home for traveling at all times and I will guarantee within three weeks of continual use and a walk off a lead at the end he will not want to get in the front.
I have four dogs and none of them will get in the front even when the door is open and told to, I can leave them in the doggie bit unrestrained when I am not travelling (washing the car for instance) for any amount of time weather permitting and they will not jump over the rear seats, purely simple disipline.

Post #18009727th Apr 2017 1:07 pm
swansty

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Actually I forgot about a cage. Great way of containing the dog and inevitable mud safely within the car.

Post #18009887th Apr 2017 1:43 pm
M3DPO

Lightweight, safe, quickly and simply folds down if needed, comes in all sizes and the dogs like them. Thumbs Up

Post #18010067th Apr 2017 2:32 pm
flamesnm

Got my answer. "No, there isn't".

So apologies for the generalisation and thanks to the people who've provided helpful responses. To those that didn't I'm sure I could take a look at something you're doing where I have expertise and you have none and tell you you're doing it wrong in a high handed manner.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Last edited by flamesnm on 7th Apr 2017 6:52 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #18010507th Apr 2017 4:12 pm
Robbie

I can only presume you are having a bad day and this is coming out in your posts.

It is not safe to have a puppy on the front passenger seat so try to find an alternative that works for you and your dog.

Diagnostics for:

Post #18010537th Apr 2017 4:17 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

its Friday, so watching with interest Whistle
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #18010667th Apr 2017 4:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >