DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Air Suspension Issue - Help Required
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
PowerSupportServices

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Air Suspension Issue - Help Required

Fellow Forum Users,

I have an issue with my air suspension been sitting on it for a while now, after a few hours on this forum i found a fix - repairing the compressor.
After spraying some soapy water around the cap of the compressor i noticed i had an air leak.
I have repair this issue - i bought a new lid and fitted successfully preventing the air leak.

Now I require some help,
Most of the time my suspension will work as normal with no issues, but the suspension fault light now only appears intermittently.
It's very strange - i can start the car up and the suspension fault may or may not appear, if the suspension light appears i can then restart the vehicle immediately and it normally disappears.

Also another note that may help - when using the air suspension to raise or lower my vehicle it sometimes goes into 'Suspension Extended Mode' and saying object under vehicle before the suspension fault appears Evil or Very Mad

Any help would be appreciated Smile

Thanks,

Tony

Post #18002375th Apr 2017 5:45 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

You need to check your height sensors, when you get this error the system thinks the car is grounded.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #18002475th Apr 2017 6:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

The reason the fault light comes on is because the compressor is overheating, this could mean that although you may have found the fault it is too late the damage has been done (overheating damages the compressor piston seal), or you have another fault, check the exhaust valve rubber on the compressor, it is located under a 17mm stud and is a common failure and cheap fix.
One possibility of the extended mode is the suspension moves a preset distance from normal height, not to a preset height, so if your suspension has not reached normal height(the only height that is fixed) and you ask it to lower it may be hitting the bump stops and thinks is has grounded and automatically goes into extended mode to lift the body over the ground. The same applies to off road mode if it has not reached normal height and you select off road it will not lift as high.
Do not "play" with the height controls unnecessarily, 3 lifts will overheat a good compressor.

Exhaust valve: photo by Tamshoe.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #18002565th Apr 2017 6:22 pm
PowerSupportServices

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Thanks very much for the help

I'd really like to locate the piston valve that you mentioned that's under the 17mm stud. Would you be able to help me with further information about where the 17mm stud is?

Also would this be a overheating problem even tho it may fault when starting up first thing in the morning? How come the fault resets when restarting vehicle?

Thanks again

Tony

Post #18003095th Apr 2017 7:42 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Do not use excessive force undoing the stud as the thread can "weld" through heat and corrosion and will strip, anything over the length of a ring spanner forget it.

PSS: The fault will only reset after the compressor has had time to cool to below a preset temp and the ignition turned off.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #18003835th Apr 2017 9:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >