DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Inner Tie Rod MYSTERY
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RoverNev

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Lux Auto Chawton WhiteLR3
Inner Tie Rod MYSTERY

I have an Inner Tie Rod End mystery -

1. Using Beck Arnley Inner Tie Rod ends, for both Driver (left) and Passenger (right) side of an 08 LR3. United States spec model. These are exactly the same as OEM from dealership - confirmed this by taking them there (3 miles from house), and comparing with OEM.

2. This mystery started when I went to replace Driver side. With Outer Tie Rod still connected and tightened to Inner Tie Rod, but removed from vehicle, the total length of Rods removed from vehicle were approximately half an inch shorter than the 'new' Inner and Outer Tie Rods - screwed together and as tight as they could possibly be - In other words, new Inner / Outer Tie Rods are about half an inch too long. I'm thinking this would not allow the Alignment to be done properly.

3. Also, Ball Joint end of this Driver side Inner Tie Rod is MUCH bigger than Ball Joint of 'new' (Beck Arnley or OEM) Inner Tie Rod. I have search and search, and I cannot find Inner Tie Rods available for LR3 with such a large Ball Joint. Possible 'Armored' spec?

4. So, based on the difference in Length, and difference of Ball Joint size, I just refitted old Inner/Outer on Driver side.

5. I took apart the Passenger (Right) side. The length of the new Inner Tie Rod End is approximately 3/16" (inch) longer than the Inner Tie Rod that I removed - after being disconnected from the Outer Tie Rod. The thread on the end of the new one that connects to the Outer Tie Rod is about 3/16 of an inch longer. Also, the Ball Joint end of the Inner Tie Rod that I removed from vehicle is larger than the new Beck Arnley / OEM, and is the same size as Ball Joint on Driver (left) side 'old' Inner Tie Rod, that is still on vehicle. I'm posting a couple of pictures. The angles might be a bit off because of camera distance and lens, but it's enough to give you a good idea. The Ball Joints on the new Inner Tie Rod ends look so small, and less durable!

6. Has anyone seen Inner Tie Rods with Ball Joints this size on an LR3? Anybody know what's going on here? Is there possibly a 'different' Steering Rack fitted? I'm concerned that I won't be able to do a proper alignment when I fit the new Beck Arnley Inner Tie Rod to the Driver side - Too long. This vehicle did have the Warn 9.5 Winch fitted at the factory when new, and also has the HD Package, and also a Mantec aluminum Skid Plate - Is it possible that somehow more durable Steering Rack and Inner Tie Rods were also fitted? Possible that Range Rover Sport 06-13 Inner Tie Rods have been fitted (but apparently the Sport uses the same part number on both sides - in other words, the passenger side (right side USA) rod diameter at ball joint end, which threads into Steering Rack, is NOT 'larger', as it is with LR3). The reason I mention Range Rover Sport is because I took a quick glance at their Inner Tie Rod ball joints, and they seem to be much bigger than LR3 Inner Tie Rod ball joints, and possibly same size as the ones on my vehicle.

Anyway, I really want to solve this Tie Rod Mystery, so any help would be appreciated.

I want to finish this project by swapping out the Driver (USA left side) Tie Rods, and then get an Alignment done, but I can't see how I can get the 'new' Tie Rods fitted and have it Aligned correctly - Again, new ones are longer than current ones still on vehicle.

The 2 photos are from Right (USA Passenger) side.

Final comment - I know there was a 'Kit number change for USA (and maybe UK) 2009 onwards VIN's (Kit = Inner, Outer, Boot, Nuts, Clamps and Grease) - But my understanding is that the 'length' of Inner Tie Rods stayed the same, and the Ball Joints were not a larger size. I definitely have the 'earlier VIN. Why was it necessary to have different Kit numbers? Exactly what was different, for the parts? I know that the actual part numbers for the Inner and Outer Rods stayed the same - it was just the part number of the whole Kit that changed. For example, here a link that shows part number and image for Driver (USA left) Inner Tie Rod - http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/QFK500010

I apologize for starting another new thread on Tie Rods, but I did some pretty extensive searches here, and did not find a posting with my particular 'mystery'.

Thanks, Simon.

Post #165430413th May 2016 4:57 pm
braunstoneman

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
V8 4.4 petrol steering tie rod mystery

Hi,
Seems like I have the same problem, thanks for your post, now at least I’m not the only one with new tie rods that are too long!

Did you ever sort this out?
I’ve just replaced entire rack and now can’t get the wheels parallel- got to the end of the adjustment on left side on the track rod end.
I’m still at the stage working out if I can get shorter tie rods or need to get the ones I have machined shorter. Or working out if I’ve missed something here!

Would appreciate any update
Thanks
 2004 Discovery 3 HSE V8 4.4 Petrol Bonatti Grey w/Emer BAT Sequential LPG conversion
1998 Landcruiser V8 4.7 Petrol US Spec
Too many other toys to list, too little time... 

Post #20153545th Jan 2019 9:55 am
eightfoot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I do know that some arms/ends are different length/size/thread they are chassis number dependant so chat with a friendly dealer might get the right part numbers you need
I'm guessing you using pattern parts as when I was looking for some a while ago it was a mine field trying to cross ref the correct parts for model years as most pattern suppliers don't list the changes,find the genuine p/n for your vehicle and work from there
 please excuse any grammer/punctuation mistakes,i'm thick,thankyou
current vehicles 2005 d3 2013 d4 

Post #20153935th Jan 2019 11:54 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Are you sure you haven’t got them mixed up with RRS components or a former owner has fitted RRS components which are the same as armoured L3, common practice to fit RRS components as they are known to be heavy duty, including bottom swivel joints.
The left and right hand inner tie rods on early D3’s is also a different thread size Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #20154175th Jan 2019 12:51 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

My D3 (V6 Petrol) have different size ball joints at the steering rack. Cannot remember which side is the bigger one

Post #20162808th Jan 2019 8:18 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up that’s why it’s best to order and fit them in pairs, don’t ask how I know Laughing
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #20163168th Jan 2019 10:22 am
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Okay, won't ask Embarassed

Post #20165658th Jan 2019 9:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >