Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Service/mount mode for EPB. IDS tool. P light flashing.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
bmbmdmb

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Service/mount mode for EPB. IDS tool. P light flashing.

Hello, if anyone can answer some of these Qs it would be a great help.

I've read the Bodsy Brake Bible and lots of posts on this excellent forum, but have some questions.

I'm going to clean, inspect the park brake on a D4 2009 model.
To make it easier to answer some or all my questions I'm numbering my Qs

1 on D4 does entering service mode (brake foot pedal pressed up and down after ignition on not started and EPB up and down 3 times also and held within 10s) to enter 'service epb mode' - does this do the same job as an IDS tool command to service epb?

If this backs off the parking brake shoes within rear brake discs what is the purpose of the ratchet that is backed off by the use of a flat screwdriver? Or does this serve another purpose?

2 What is the expected life of the park brake shoes, rear disc? 40k miles seems muted if heavy braking not done. Vehicle has 35k and I've just cleaned all brakes front and back sprayed calipers etc, lubed slide pins and replaced brake hose flexis
Would rear discs shoes for EPB be changed with rear disc and springs other service parts in rear park brake of rear discs?

3 I am considering a obd/IDS tool. I can't justify a really expensive £1000 plus one. What are your opinions on icarsoft 3 and foxwell 680pro. It isn't my car and I was looking for something that would do epb and diagnostics, battery configuration on a 2016, 2018 Jaguar models also. Seems LR and Jaguar use different software.

4 I have had a flashing red (P) light on putting EPB on or off occasionally. The D4 seems prone to erroneous warnings which were connected to the battery state of charge. Openings door I found with multimeter connected caused 5 to them 2 amp of current use for several minutes before ECU went back to sleep mode. Reconnecting battery current jumps to 8amp so near 10A fuse limit on my multimeter

However, this p light flashing seems genuine hence a clean of epb for first time.

Read that a command, ie epb on,/off might not have occurred. This correct?

5 Cleaning EPB shoes - use acetone (,brake cleaner)?
Remove brake dust?
I read there are 3 points to lube around park brake shoes. I saw people using copper slip (this stuff has oil in it that liquifies with heat, would ceramic brake grease or PTFE high melting silicone be better,?,)

Any other parts I need to clean, attend to? This D4 has not been touched on park brake since assembled in factory.

Bedding in mode - there is a way described on here and u tube of entering bed in. Would IDS tool do this to enter this mode and when is this necessary and not needed?

I read it is needed if
- new park brake shoes fitted
- new rear disc

This correct?

What is minimum thickness of friction material on park brake shoes?

Any other information useful that I missed?

Thank you

Post #23097494th Oct 2022 10:55 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

A gap iid at around £450 is the best daignistic tool.

An autel ap200 white version at £60 is best value, to read codes and much more. Don’t recall anyone using it for brake service yet

Shoes can last the life of the car depending on certain things

Be best to read codes first.

Service mode gives more slack on the cables which makes things much easier.

Post #23097695th Oct 2022 6:01 am
bmbmdmb

Thanks for the reply.

I've seen GAP tool. I would probably not use it a lot of the functions it offers. I have VCDS for VAG cars and although diagnostics are comprehensive and have been useful, most of the live data could be read from a cheaper tool. If it was compatible with Jaguars then it would be a no brainer.

Not my car also, so not my money.

Does the gap tool need a laptop or phone?

Thanks

Post #23098735th Oct 2022 9:52 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Both phone

Post #23098755th Oct 2022 9:59 pm
Moleshome

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

I've never tried it but can't it also be used with just the Disco display and steering wheel controls?

Post #23099176th Oct 2022 10:36 am
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Yes it can, but much easier to use the free app and do it from your phone... would highly recommend the GAP IID tool... they often come up 2nd hand on here or RRSport.co.uk
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #23099436th Oct 2022 2:35 pm
Captain Crosscheck

Ukraine 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Pete K wrote:
An autel ap200 white version at £60 is best value, to read codes and much more. Don’t recall anyone using it for brake service yet.

I tried using mine for brake service, and it had all the bells and whistles for an EPB service, but my EPB module was shagged... However, I do believe it should work satisfyingly.

Post #23099686th Oct 2022 8:04 pm
bmbmdmb

EPB (P) flashing - I suspect the shoes need adjustment. On a slope there seemed too much lurch forward once handbrake applied and footbrake release, but just my opinion. EPB held vehicle before park hear engaged. Diagnostics might show some codes.

GAP tool - what can this do for me other than EPB service mode, read and clear diagnostic codes that a diyer likely to use? Battery on D4 2009 is wet, lead acid so doesn't need configuration?

Q about rear park brake - going to fit new rear discs and pads. I will 'bed them in'.
Is it recommended to do an adjustment to the rear park brake ratchet , ie 60nm park brake shoes torqued up on and backed off 8 turns on ratchet a second time, but after the bedding in of the old park brake shoes to the new disc? Or is this overkill?

Thanks

PS I got spare old smartphone but a standalone unit with own screen would be nice, but I know would add expense to an IDS tool.

I was looking at foxwell 680 pro for other car manufacturer's as there are 5 different makes in family. New model coming out so I was split on dedicated land rover IDS tool or a tool that covers several makes. I was put off foxwell 680 pro because I was told by Gendan that it doesn't cover EPB and some other modules as originally advertised. Didn't want to buy and hope an 'update' will come along that are for a lifetime 'ie a couple of years'.

Post #23099886th Oct 2022 10:29 pm
Nutterwatts

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I can confirm the Autel does work for the EPB service mode.

Post #23100547th Oct 2022 12:52 pm
bmbmdmb

Thanks for info on Autel. I don't mind spending more, obviously not being a garage I don't want to spend 4 figures £1XXX plus but if the tool does multiple cars then great.

I was looking again at GAP tool, other than maybe air suspension replacement then using tool for calibration of ride height, not sure if the air suspension struts need programming to ECU? Other than this, I can't see a use for all those other features, just like my VCDS for Skoda. If I did then the price would be worth paying looks a comprehensive tool for LR.

Looking at iCarsoft 2022 CR pro model, just because it does diagnostic codes and EPB and other features. Anyone any experience on other makes other than LR.
I have no affiliation btw.
https://ljmcardiagnostics.co.uk/products/i...-scan-tool

There is the icarsoft cr max, again seems to cover more modules and on lots of makes. It is on same site. Anyone got any experience using this?

Thanks

Post #23102368th Oct 2022 6:55 pm
bmbmdmb

https://au.sitejabber.com/reviews/icarsoft.com

Answered my own question. There are happy people and unhappy people. One reviewer states issue with LR Evoque and no Jaguar coverage after 2016. DPF manual regeneration seems to be an issue across multiple makes.

Post #23102738th Oct 2022 10:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >