Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Engine seizes solid after cambelt change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Braysh

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Engine seizes solid after cambelt change

Evening all, Gonna be a bit of a long post this so bear with me, but I think explaining fully may help with any suggestions.

Disco 4-MY2010-TDV6.... running perfectly before dismantling, except for oil leak from cooler, intake manifolds discovered during dismantling.

Ok, so major dismantling to top end to replace both intake manifolds and oil cooler, plus engine earth lead.. Also fitted turbo drain mod while I was in there. Rad pack removed so I could swill intercooler out as I've had a little white smoke under hard acceleration. Changed glow plugs while I had access. In all, taken about a week to complete, I wasn't in a rush and neither were my parts suppliers Laughing

So, i've got manifolds, glow plugs, oil cooler and all pipe work back in place. Went to replace cam belt today and wasn't quite happy with right hand cam locking pin so started again from scratch. Locking pins were never removed while belt was off by the way.

Refitted cambelt and everything fitted perfectly, crank and both cam pins slid in and out easily.... that's were the problems started. Went to do my 2 revolutions and after 3/4 of a turn of the crank, crank wont turn any further. Must add that on previous attempts, before readjusting, engine was turned over around 10 times before i decided to readjust. Turn anti clockwise and it won't go back to timed position Confused .

I've fitted hundreds of cam belts, 15 or so to disco's, so its's got me confused Question

The only suggestion I can come up with is something has dropped inside and is stopping the crank turning ? I've accounted for all bolts so not sure why it won't turn more than 3/4 of a cycle ?

Before I take the belt off (in an untimed position Embarassed ), to check which bit won't turn, has anyone got any suggestions ?

Post #236674416th Apr 2024 9:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

The timing is out, make sure you have the right hole in the flywheel as well as both pins in the cams. What you are describing, it sounds like its hitting a valve, so you need to turn the crank to the timed position while moving the cams to allow this, then re-insert the cam pins after.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #236677117th Apr 2024 9:21 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Braysh

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Cheers Flack.... no idea how I ended up there but you were right Thumbs Up

I reckon I was a tooth out on left hand side Embarassed

Thanks again Thumbs Up

Post #236678417th Apr 2024 11:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >