DISCO4.COM > General

Being pulled to the darkest side....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
JMC

Scotland 
Being pulled to the darkest side....

Had my 30k service at Lakeland on Friday Razz

Got a run of the mill Freelander as a runabout for the day, but it was spent on tarmac passes in the pis*ing rain. Didn't like the Freelander much but it was a hell of a lot better than the last one I was in (early version).

Anyway, whilst there I got to thinking about changing my car, and a new D3 HSE seems on the cards. However, there was a FFRR vogue TDV8 in the showroom which got me thinking. At £63k it seems a tad on the pricey side, but if I can give that money to Ryan rather than Censored Gordon Brown then it might just be worth it.

I've never really considered a FFRR before, but with the TDV8 and the fact that the seating position is much more like the D3 than the RRS makes it worth the thought. What would you guys think of a FFRRCDV (car derived van Shocked )

BTW, I was trying hard to get good economy on the way home. After filling up in the borders (Galashiells) I checked the 'info' when I was on the Forth Bridge and I had travelled 60 miles on the trip with 560 mils to zero on the range!!! Anybody had more than a combined (trip+range) 620mile range on their D3???
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #24822520th Jan 2008 10:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
White Disco

Australia 

I've had 1062 km range with 126 on the clock. This was while driving at highway speeds, slowing for towns, for a trip of 2000km. After filling at Dubbo (about 1/2 way), and zeroing the trip comp & trip meter, I pulled into Gilgandra for the nights accommodation. While I was warming down (me & the car) I checked the figures.
I regularly get over 1000km to the tank.
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #24824420th Jan 2008 10:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ken

JMC do I am its either a FFRR or a G Wag Whistle gonna keep the D3 thou Mr. Green got to its forum club rules Whistle

Post #24824820th Jan 2008 10:37 pm
SN

Ken wrote:
gonna keep the D3 thou Mr. Green got to its forum club rules Whistle
Excellent news! Thumbs Up Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #24825020th Jan 2008 10:40 pm
JMC

Scotland 

I'm reckoning on putting the seats back in the SE and giving it to SWMBO Razz

It's almost 2 years old and I still LOVE it. I don't want to trade it in as it's so good and hasn't had any real issues.

The thing about the FFRR is that it is SOOOOO much nicer than the RRS. I think it would work well as a 2-seater and the VAT reclaim would warm my cockles..... Whistle

However, it's a hell of a lot of wedge just to get the TDV8. Anybody know when it is going to be replaced by a newer model? Must be due sometime soon........
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #24825620th Jan 2008 10:47 pm
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
Re: Being pulled to the darkest side....

JMC wrote:
What would you guys think of a FFRRCDV (car derived van Shocked )

I'd think your customers would think your prices were too comfortable Laughing

JMC wrote:
Anybody had more than a combined (trip+range) 620mile range on their D3???

Yes. Add about a hundred. Can't remember the exact numbers, posted about it yonks ago.
Didn't quite make it to 600 on the tankfull though.

Can't get anywhere near it nowadays though Wink
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #24825720th Jan 2008 10:47 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

In my humble view, when I drove one for a week the FFRR was a great car, and there was much to like about it. The TDV8 is the most gorgeous engine you're likely to find and I really wish it was in the D3.

I found just two things I didn't like that the D3 was much much better at.

Firstly, the inside room. Yes it's got big road footprint, but take a look at the rear seat configuration. The seatbelt for the centre seat comes out about 3 inches inside the nearside passengers seat - unless you only entertain size zero friends, this isn't going to be comfortable if you're going to use it, and it gives you some idea of how much narrower the passenger/storage area is over the D3.

Secondly, came the thing that scared the Censored off me. The car's worth nearly £30k more than the D3, and yet the handling felt like it was out of one of the worlds earliest Range Rovers. So when I stamped my foot down hard on the brakes to get around an a-hole running a red light, then hit the other pedal hard to make sure I didn't get rear ended, I did not expect the car to feel like we were engaged in Rodeo sex. It bucked and wallowed all over the place and I suffered severe under steer (nearly sideswiping another car) until I eased up off the gas. I've tried similar (clear open car park) in the D3 at similar low speeds to compare and it handled itself beautifully.

If my first point isn't a worry, then great Smile If they've fixed the second, or you only like to put your foot down when on an autobahn, then even better Very Happy
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #24827920th Jan 2008 11:17 pm
Pelyma

England 

What about a nearly new, it'd wipe £10K off. The D3 is an awesome machine and a better all rounder, but there is something about the FFRR with a TDV8.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #24828120th Jan 2008 11:21 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

I would echo the last post about the FFRR, fabulous engine, beautiful interior but a bit of a let down to drive. I had one for 3 weeks recently and the handling is wallowy, the steering is vague and lifeless too. If I had the money (which I don't) I'd go for a fully loaded D3 HSE any day or even a RRS just to get the TDV8. The FFRR is just a bit dated for my liking.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #24828320th Jan 2008 11:24 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Get thee behind me satnav ! Been thinking along the same lines myself but really it just boils down to the TDV8 doesnt it. The FFRR is plush, but what do you really get more than a D3 (You can buy 2 D3 SEs for that amount of money!). And do you really need wallowy plushness ?

You're a practical man, thats why you bought a D3 in the first place. You'll always be asking yourself why did you pay so much for a tdv8. Think about importing a petrol V8 D3. 30,000 proper will take you a long way even at todays fuel prices. Or if you really want power and speed go for a real sports car. Hope you're confused. Stops you doing anything rash, like making a descision.

Good luck.
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #24831121st Jan 2008 12:06 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Shocked

FFRR .... now that is gravitational pull to the excess!!

Rolling Eyes

Post #24832821st Jan 2008 12:28 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

JMC wrote:
I'm reckoning on putting the seats back in the SE and giving it to SWMBO Razz

I'll find a good home for the Audi for you!!! Whistle Whistle Mr. Green

Post #24835521st Jan 2008 1:05 am
Bonzo

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Back to JMC's original point, I've occasionally got over 700 with the range + miles covered. (TDV6 manual) Thumbs Up Its usually not too difficult to get over 600 on the right type of journey/roads. The key ( as described in much more detail elsewhere by others) is keeping the revs as close as possible to 1900 at all times. This generally involves 3rd gear in town, where the 30mph can be comfortably achieved at 1900 rpm. Its a myth to suppose that high gear/low revs is always the key to better fuel economy. The economy tends to slip when you get up to 6th gear, where 1900rpm will hold you at around 70mph but with less fuel efficiency. However, I am often involved in a non-motorway journey of around 90 miles, where a speed of 55mph (1900rpm, 5th gear) is reasonable for the type of road, and there is no need to get into 6th gear. Thats when the range +mileage creeps up through the 600s toward that magical 700. (The final 20miles of the same journey however are on motorway, and after being so bored of covering 90 miles at 55mph, I tend to floor it in 6th gear, bringing the mpg average way down again!) Big Cry

Post #24836821st Jan 2008 1:47 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Quote:
I regularly get over 1000km to the tank.

You speak with forked tongue Whistle
 Pete  
Post #24838221st Jan 2008 6:30 am
pbhawkin

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Hey,
Red Disco
Quote:
I've had 1062 km range
Laughing
my range 'only' goes to 999Km and sits there for the first 100km or so and then counts down.
 regards
Peter

Post #24838321st Jan 2008 6:48 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >