DISCO4.COM > General

Paying through the nose for a new key from dealer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ReadySalted

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Paying through the nose for a new key from dealer

Hi all,

Not so much a post with a question, just sharing a bit of advice for anyone having key troubles!

My disco came with 2 keys. One which never really worked and the other which worked 99% of the time. The 1% of time I was locked out, I found myself having to use the passenger side key hole to gain access, which sets the alarm off, and attracts alot of attention in car parks etc. So a pain in the hoop. After a niggly 6 months of ownership I bit the bullet and paid a dealer £229 for a new key. Both the current ones have buttons worn through, and I can actually press the button on the circuit board and yet they still didn't work, so I assumed only option was a new one. If you do this make sure you take all your keys as they programme the new one and ALSO reprogram the old one/s.

Now I have one good key I felt like I could risk opening up the others. Bought a 7.99 new key case from amazon and when it arrived it was absolutely identical to the new landrover one! I spent 15 minutes putting the gubbins from my (now) spare key into the new case and lo and behold it works perfectly. So I now have two perfectly usable keys. One that cost 8 quid, and one that cost 230!

The lesson here for anybody who cares, is try changing the case before you get a whole new key. It might save you 220 quid!! (Edit to add; Having said that, opening up my spare key pretty much destroyed the original case so it's kind of a one way journey unless you're extremely careful and patient. I couldn't risk destroying my one good key which is why I bought a replacement first).
 Discovery 3 XS - sold
L322 Range Rover Vogue - sold
TD5 Defender 90 - sold
200tdi Defender 110 - sold
300tdi disco ES - died
Series 3 88" Petrol - sold
300tdi disco XS - sold 

Post #20422551st Apr 2019 10:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >