Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

crank swop before possible fail
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
faulksy

Wales 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
crank swop before possible fail

just wondering if anybody has swapped the cranks before they possibly fail and if so what is the best crank?
mine is fine but i am considering it. how much all in roughly would you say for crank ,oil pump and all new shells ?
thank you all
mike
 had a d1 ,d2 a land mark d4 for 3 days now have awsome d4 in orkney grey hse sdv6 my12  
Post #23575062nd Jan 2024 9:01 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Drive it, enjoy it and forget about the crank!

If nothing happens you're not out of pocket, if it does you can consider your options then.

Change the oil pump when the belts fall due, or you could do that much now as a preventative measure!
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #23575072nd Jan 2024 9:09 pm
disco chris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Agreed with the above. There is no way to know that a new crank (which by the way will be quite expensive...) is any less likely to fail than your current crank. Just drive the car and enjoy it, try not to worry about it. Don't thrash the car cold if you can avoid it. Keep servicing frequent and regular. Pretty much all you can do...

Chris

Post #23575112nd Jan 2024 9:56 pm
HairyFool

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

The trouble with the internet is you get a very skewed view of almost every problem, it doesn't really matter what the subject is. The owners on here probably only represents a minority of drivers and not everyone has had a problem. This is not to say there is no issue but how big is it, Land Rover might know but they are not going to admit it are they?

If there was a modified crank specifically made to prevent the problem there could be a small case to be made to pre-emptively replace one but a new one is not going to be guaranteed to never fail in this manner.

This is the analysis from Dieselheads:

"2.7 TDV6 – AJD-V6 LION V6 (DIESEL)
2004 +

LAND ROVER DISCOVERY 3 (L319), RANGE ROVER SPORT (L320), CITROËN C5, CITROËN C6, JAGUAR S-TYPE, JAGUAR XF, JAGUAR XJ, PEUGEOT 407, PEUGEOT 607

COMMON ENGINE FAILURES
Broken crankshaft – upon inspection the crankshaft of this engine by design incorporates weak spots in the area between the rod bearing journals and counterweights. Over a long period of a high stress or aggressive driving style these points on the crankshaft fail. This seems to still be the case on a vehicle with the correct maintenance history. A related issue with the lion v6 is spun main and big end bearings. Oil starvation can be another less common cause for engine malfunction, this failure can occur with the engine oil pump and surrounding galleries as well as turbochargers. Issues resulting from listed failures include: snapped camshaft chains, damage to fuel injectors, heat damaged and melted pistons.

3.0 TDV6 SDV6 – AJD-V6 LION V6 (DIESEL EURO 5)

2010 – 2015

LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER SPORT L320 & L494, JAGUAR XF, JAGUAR XJ, LAND ROVER DISCOVERY 4 L319

COMMON ENGINE FAILURES
Like the above 2.7 tdv6 the 3.0 tdv6 suffers from the same crankshaft issues and resulting damage, although the oil pump, timing belt tensioner and surrounding oil galleries have been improved, even so this does not mean the issue is less common.

3.0 TDV6 SDV6 – AJD-V6 LION V6 (DIESEL EURO 6)

2016 – PRESENT

LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER SPORT L494, JAGUAR XF, LAND ROVER DISCOVERY 4 L319 & 5 L462

COMMON ENGINE FAILURES
Still suffering from crankshaft failure like previous versions of this engine, the euro 6 (new shape) 3.0 diesel engine has a water cooled turbocharger with an oil on demand system. Being fitted in newer models of land rover range rover means that the repair procedure is very different as the body and chassis are integral meaning they cannot be split."

https://dieselheads.co.uk/workshop/reports/

However even these cannot define how big a problem it is, they don't see engines that haven't failed so what is "common", even theydon't say "all". One video I watched said the failure could be less than 100k Km or over 300k Km

Just drive the car with at least some consideration (read the 1st analysis), enjoy it and keep the money in savings if really worried. Who knows, you may never need it and end up going on a cruise instead Mr. Green

Lets face it, according to the internet MS Windows has been a disaster ever since the internet itself but it is the most used O/S in the world.
 A visitor from the dark side, my other vehicle is an MG5 EV  
Post #23575163rd Jan 2024 12:13 am
faulksy

you guys are awsome. very good points. i just love my disco so much. but like you say i need to chill
seriously thank you all above. lots happier now
mike
 had a d1 ,d2 a land mark d4 for 3 days now have awsome d4 in orkney grey hse sdv6 my12  
Post #23576063rd Jan 2024 8:09 pm
ds23man

Netherlands 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The main problem is a design fault at one journal in the front ( to small stress radius). All European engines still have this fault and did not exist on the V8 engines. Ford America uses a different crankshaft in these engines ( F150).
 Citroen DS23IE
Audi A6 2.4 V6 Avant Quatro (1998)
Audi 80 2.6 v6 Cabriolet (1996)
John Deere 4240S
McCormick 323 

Post #23576093rd Jan 2024 8:46 pm
faulksy

i have seen forged ones, didn't know the US used a different one. can we buy them in the UK ?
thanks
Post #23576123rd Jan 2024 9:36 pm
HairyFool

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

The mods for the F150 were extensive, not just with the crank.

"Despite the fact that the engine is new for the F-150, it already has its history while was used in other vehicles, back in the past when Ford owned JLR. The 3.0l Power Stroke engine for a reason has new revised crankshaft and bearings. Ford's 3.0L diesel engines had serious problems with bursting crankshafts and quick wear on crankshaft bearings. There are several possible causes - a design mistake, insufficient oil pump performance, improper oil, untimely and incomplete oil change. The reason is most likely a complex of the above factors. Ford has done some work with related components and only time will tell how successful it is."

The "revised...bearings" almost certainly involved changes to the block.
 A visitor from the dark side, my other vehicle is an MG5 EV  
Post #23576193rd Jan 2024 11:33 pm
faulksy

thanks for clearing that up. i did hear about that mod. think it had to be line bored to suit bigger journals etc
mike
Post #23576213rd Jan 2024 11:59 pm
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

HairyFool wrote:
The mods for the F150 were extensive, not just with the crank.

"Despite the fact that the engine is new for the F-150, it already has its history while was used in other vehicles, back in the past when Ford owned JLR. The 3.0l Power Stroke engine for a reason has new revised crankshaft and bearings. Ford's 3.0L diesel engines had serious problems with bursting crankshafts and quick wear on crankshaft bearings. There are several possible causes - a design mistake, insufficient oil pump performance, improper oil, untimely and incomplete oil change. The reason is most likely a complex of the above factors. Ford has done some work with related components and only time will tell how successful it is."

The "revised...bearings" almost certainly involved changes to the block.

The main issue to cause crank failure is an inherrent weakness due to the oil drilling within the crank . indeed a V6 engine of any sort will always suffer more failure due to an imbalance of forces acting upon it. Lots of the excuses you list above are just that ,out of the mouths of service personel to hide a major short coming in the engine. Speaking from experience of having one go and how others have described it with their vehicle. The engine just stops on you with only a very short warning to never start again. That does not suggest any issues with lubrication being inadequate .

Ford left LR holding the baby on that engine and knew it was an issue early on as they have not fitted it for years in anything of their own, until they have redisigned the bottom end.

Post #23576404th Jan 2024 11:39 am
faulksy

Thumbs Up
Post #23577234th Jan 2024 9:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >