Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Turbo rebuild with new cartridge - anyone done it?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
longclose

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Turbo rebuild with new cartridge - anyone done it?

OK so I have put an ongoing post up here which I will keep going until I have a final result so all members can benefit:-

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/turbo-fault-p132b-184550.html

The question is has anyone undertaken a D3 DV6 turbo rebuild themselves? The cartridges are clearly available at very reasonable prices as are the VGT rings. I have bought a second hand turbo for £50 and and intend to rebuild one myself but do not want to re-invent the wheel. I have rebuilt a number of TD5 turbos with good results and never had a problem.

The nice thing about buying a cartridge is they are already balanced and ready to fit, the VGT ring can be easily cleaned but can also fit a new one if its in a Censored state.

I would plan to put the rebuild as a post if no one has doen so already, although I have searched already.
 Owning a Discovery 3 is like dating a model.. a firm body and shape, wow.. the ride is fantastic >Very Happy for this your wallet can take a pounding and you worry about being deflated at any time...
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #20977965th Nov 2019 8:05 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I couldn’t get the old one apart even after heating it

You can get the vvt bits off eBay too

Post #20978405th Nov 2019 10:40 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I have fitted them, to other makes not D3/4, this subject has come up before and Disco-Mikey came up with a very valid reason why it could not me done, ISTR something to do with software and matching the variable vanes to the vehicle, try doing a search Thumbs Up

Here we go:
https://www.disco4.com/forum/recondition-r...y+assembly

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic124752.html?
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #20978846th Nov 2019 9:39 am
longclose

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Thanks for the feedback, will take one step at a time and consider each step as I go with feedback from members.

At least the air compressor is now sorted, had to wait for the three chassis (chimney) nuts @ £5 quid but all fixed and working nicely for a fiver and microwave time. To make it clear to everyone reading this thread, the Disco is a nice project car HSE spec 138k and well maintained throughout its life, it will be well maintained going forward. Some may think I am penny wise pound foolish but that is the learning process, I will win some and lose some and will feedback on this site so everyone benefits.

So status update, the turbo actuator is nice and loose for 90% of its travel, I got a boroscope camera down the back of the actuator and can see that its not hitting the stop and it is sticky at this point so after ignition initialisation (5 cycles back and forth) it sticks in full boost @ 90% towards the engine.

I am now fairly certain is that on engine start the actuator is sticking and throwing up P132B fault code as it cannot either reach full cycle (100%) or return to it idle position (towards the wheel) where it should be at tick over. So to confirm the actuator cycling on power on has a lot of power to make it move back and forth but does not have a enough to move it on engine start, when freed with a coat hanger it moves to the idle position (vanes open).

Disco is running great but will go into limp mode when driven really hard. I am hoping an italian service and hot EGT will burn the deposits off will try this first. If this does not work next step is to remove the cat and fill it full of Mr muscle oven cleaner and work the vanes.
 Owning a Discovery 3 is like dating a model.. a firm body and shape, wow.. the ride is fantastic >Very Happy for this your wallet can take a pounding and you worry about being deflated at any time...
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #20979896th Nov 2019 7:19 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

You probably don’t want to drive it hard during the Italian tune up just get it hot

Wynn’s helps too

Post #20979946th Nov 2019 7:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >