Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Suspension issue identification
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Northerdiver1

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Indus SilverDiscovery 3
Suspension issue identification

So recently bought a discovery3 2005, today the the suspension lost all pressure, and went down to end stops , got it home and left it a while, went back out and restarted it, all suspension came back up to normal height, tested all other settings and heights and all work fine, plugged in basic fault finder and no codes, also no light on the dash and no errors show in screen. I can hear a whirrring noise from the rear off side but cannot hear any leakage of air.
Any ideas could this be the rear suspension valve?
It sound almost like a pump running constant but don’t believe there is a pump at the back.
Any help appreciated.

Post #210142922nd Nov 2019 11:51 pm
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Did it go down to bump stops on all corners and were you driving at the time?

If it went down on all I doubt it is reservoir or compressor or airbags, unless it went down while you were away from the car.
The car self-levels periodically, so if one corner leaks it drops and then the suspension control unit levels out the others until you hit the stops.
If it is while you're away you can take out fuse 26 and that'll stop it self-levelling so you should be able to see which corner has the problem.

If you were driving did you get warning lights?
They'll normally reset when you restart the car so I guess it's possible you missed it?

If the brake pedal switch or a bulb (my blown sidelight bulb caused this just last week) is out it can affect the CANBUS readings for lots of systems, which often forces the car to be 'lowered' to the bump stops.
If it seems like this and all bulbs are OK and you change the brake pedal switch (good to have a spare in the car anyway as sooner or later it's likely to fail) then the most likely cause in my experience is a wiring failure to the 3 connectors behind the liner at the back of the front left wheelarch.

Oh, and the suspension compressor is just forward of the rear left wheel.
If you've been playing with the heights it'll 'whir' for a while.

Finally, if you have 4x4 info screen it can be handy to make sure the height the car thinks is the actual height.
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #210143323rd Nov 2019 12:29 am
Northerdiver1

Hi, thanks , the car went bump on all four at the same time and while driving, I do have a small leak somewhere but is normally good for about 3 days before it sinks to any great depth, I do have front side light out and one that’s flashing, I have new ones so will change them out tommoro, I’ve also went and pulled that fuse to see which it leaking. When it happened I must have missed the warning, but the orange dial did show up in the left corner ( I think this just indicate a fault of the suspension but nothing more) As for the 4x4 on the centre console don’t think I have that, it has the sat nav scene but never seen anything else on it. And has never appear when going off road.

Post #210143523rd Nov 2019 1:12 am
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Make sure you replace the bulbs with good ones, and I'd avoid LEDs while you have this issue.
The 4x4 info screen can be 'unlocked' for SE spec satnav by someone with an unlocked IID tool.
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #210143723rd Nov 2019 1:57 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Basic code reader will only read engine codes

Post #210143923rd Nov 2019 2:10 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

What he ^^^^ said!

However, it does sound as if it is overrunning! The compressor is on the n/s just forward of the rear wheel arch. If you think its overrunning its likely there's a problem with either the drier, the reservoir, or a leak elsewhere!

Get the codes read with a dedicated LR diagnostic tool and go from there. Should be an easy enough fix without too much expense. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #210144123rd Nov 2019 3:06 am
Northerdiver1

Thanks for the help guys, so looks like compressor is fine it switched off after a few mins after re adjusting, light bulbs changed, ordered 2 new brake switches (one as spare). so looks like a I have a leak on both front suspensions, one dropped 2” over 12 hours and the other 1”over 12 hours could this be the front valve? Or do I just need to bite the bullet on 2 new front replacements? Also any recommendation on OEM parts?
And second question with regards to the 4x4 display, any recommendation on which tool could do this? Also good to have one for future issues, as I see the need for this coming.

Post #210162424th Nov 2019 1:39 pm
Sea Raider

Only 1 choice the GAP IIDBT unit

worth their weight in gold and 2nd to none Customer Service from Pat and the rest at GAP

£405 from Duckworths on here on keep your eyes peeled for a 2nd hand one on here

Post #210162724th Nov 2019 1:53 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

The one part of the suspension system which rarely gives a problem is the air bags or the air lines. That said, your car is now heading for 15 years old, and if not already replaced its quite possible they are leaking. You should have this confirmed before ordering replacement parts which should be OEM or original. Advance Factors, Island 4x4, Duckworth Parts, amongst others can supply, although Advance and Duckworth are site sponsors.

Its not a difficult job to do yourself if you're handy with the spanners, but a diagnostic tool before you begin will be come in handy to confirm / test system integrity. Or, to recalibrate the suspension afterwards as well as unlocking the 4x4 screen (GAP IID BT).

I would also suggest you replace the drier desiccant and filters in the compressor once you establish which compressor is fitted. If its old / tired this is going to be the next thing to go! Its is an easy / cheap fix so might as well as the car will be off the road for the other work!!

Start with diagnostics and go from there, you'll get plenty of help on here Thumbs Up
Oh and by the way welcome to the forum Smile
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #210165024th Nov 2019 5:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >