DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Best conventional suspension to buy?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
von Horst

Sweden 
Best conventional suspension to buy?

Disco 3 TDV6 2007.

Tha car is in excellent condition, engine gearbox, no rust! but there are often problems with this classic Air-suspension!
My question: whats a good conventional suspension system to buy and fit?

Post #236313628th Feb 2024 8:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
paul123

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

i used a dunlop kit on mine
 2005 discovery 3 tdv6
1971 200 tdi 2 door range rover

300tdi defender 90 in bits needs lots of work 

Post #23632971st Mar 2024 8:14 pm
loanrangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

it'll cost you more to convert than fix the EAS problem.

Post #23633201st Mar 2024 11:39 pm
von Horst

Sweden 

I know! but I have to do a few trips in Europe this summer and I would hate getting stuck somewhere!
The costs for getting a car towed back are enormous these days!

As far as the Mechanic there is nothing wrong with the air-suspension, no leaks, compressors working BUT its all geared by the warning-messages which are constantly playing up, and also the small levers by the Transmission, all of a sudden the lights goes out and doesnt indicate anything all black!..and for no reason the messages: Extension-height, special-programs off, etc, etc comes on and for no apparent reasons????

Post #23633242nd Mar 2024 8:27 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
paul123

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

the main reason i changed mine over is i never had the time to chase repeated faults. the easy way is to change the lot.
 2005 discovery 3 tdv6
1971 200 tdi 2 door range rover

300tdi defender 90 in bits needs lots of work 

Post #23633262nd Mar 2024 10:16 am
von Horst

Sweden 

Same here! but in my case its what I have written above! nobody can find any faults and yet the electronics, warning messages etc are playing up all the time!

Yes I'm changing the lot! Dunlop suspensions!!

Post #23633282nd Mar 2024 10:37 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

You'll ruin the car's unique features if you rip out the EAS in my opinion. And no, I'm not referring to the faults Laughing )

Consider this though. 1. You can't have a fault if there is no fault code logged! It is the code being present and logged that informs the message centre resulting in the subsequent systems curtailment or shutdown.

2. If you replace the EAS with coil suspension there is no guarantee that your problems will go away, as the route source of the problem/s has not been identified. And, that would as has been suggested above leave you with an expensive bill and back at "square one" as well.

Get to the bottom of the diagnostic issues or find a technician who can! Although it can be at times a pain to solve EAS problems, it is also true that the person working on the system doesn't always understand it correctly, or what the diagnostics are saying. Or, inferior components have been fitted in order to cut costs, or a combination of both with inevitable consequences.

Once this system is sorted and the compressor drier maintained every few years, it really is a trouble free system with all the intended built in benefits that members on here will attest to. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #23633422nd Mar 2024 2:53 pm
von Horst

Sweden 

Yes youre probably right! and its a terrible thing to do but in my case the suspension warning messages keeps coming up on the Dashboard and the car acts accordingly??? an LR mechanic checked out the whole car, air-suspension of course, checked for leaks and everything and its all OK! how come? electrical-fault?? I only use "Normal" ride and sometimes its hellish just getting in into normal ride!

Post #23633723rd Mar 2024 9:48 am
DIY Ace

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

[Have you checked or recalibrated the steering angle sensor? Gap tool will do it.

That often throws up some suspension warnings.]

Edit - wrong thread. Sorry!
 2022 BMW i4 M50. Bought Oct 2022. 10,200 miles and counting...
2014 BMW 435d convertible. Bought July 2021. 58,000 miles and counting...
2005 Discovery 3 HSE Auto. Bought Feb 2019. 169,000 miles and counting...
2009 Freelander 2 XS Manual. Bought Sep 2013. SOLD Aug 2021 (already regretted!)

https://youtube.com/channel/UCO_u_0D45x9KGfiNstzLJnw 

Last edited by DIY Ace on 4th Mar 2024 7:48 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #23633733rd Mar 2024 10:35 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

von Horst wrote:
Yes youre probably right! and its a terrible thing to do but in my case the suspension warning messages keeps coming up on the Dashboard and the car acts accordingly??? an LR mechanic checked out the whole car, air-suspension of course, checked for leaks and everything and its all OK! how come? electrical-fault?? I only use "Normal" ride and sometimes its hellish just getting in into normal ride!

Because all the power train "control systems" are digitally linked (CAN) in order for them to work in unison, any fault in one or more of these systems will have a "knock on" effect on others. Most faults that are logged in control modules other than RLM, will bring down RLM as well, as it is now unable to communicate correctly with whatever module is affected. DIY Ace provides an example of this above, although in that scenario you could reasonably expect to see at least 2 fault codes logged for a basic fault between two systems.

Some of the other systems which share CAN comms with the RLM include. PCM, ABS, PBM, TCM/Trans, VDM, SAS, Batt/voltage, etc via the BCM. So something as simple as a faulty door switch, or brake light switch, could cause the RLM to throw up a fault even though there's nothing wrong with the air suspension itself!!

I'm not saying the problem lies outside of your air suspension, (RLM) only that very often it can lie elsewhere, and some levels lateral thinking is required when dealing with these systems.

"lost communication with RIDE LEVEL MODULE, VEHICLE DYNAMICS MODULE, INSTRUMENT CLUSTER, etc, etc, is a basic CAN fault message (Controller Area Network). See this, or any version of it can be taken as a basic if sometimes obscure fault, but which can "infect" other systems due to messaging failures between the control modules involved.

Try to nail down exactly when the fault occurs. Immediately after engine start up? After the brake pedal is pressed? After the steering has been turned? Gear selection? Handbrake?
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #23633843rd Mar 2024 4:21 pm
von Horst

Sweden 

Thanks a lot!! this was very helpful! well I am going to give it a try, I dont really want to lose the air suspension so I am going to do exactly what you explained!

cheers and again thanks for a very fine explanation! Very Happy

Post #23634444th Mar 2024 1:03 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >