DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Spongy brakes after pad and disc change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Tomrogers

United Kingdom 
Spongy brakes after pad and disc change

Hi all, just joined the forum so first of all hello Thumbs Up

Got a 55plate 2.7tdv6 change the discs and pads tonight all went ok they only thing I didn't do which I beleive I should have was undo the bleed nipple when pitching the Pistons back, I did take the lid off the m/c while I did it though
i got in car pumped pedal and it's rock hard with engine off, start engine and the pedal is firm but them slowly sinks . With the old Set I had when you braked there would be very little pedal movement before it started braking now there seems to be much more pedal travel.
The brakes work fine just a lot more pedal movement than before. Did a search and couple people saying they need to bed in, on my previous cars when I've done the pads I've never had a spongy pedal like this before which makes me think there's something wrong and it's not a question of letting them bed in

Thanks
Tom

Post #147976227th May 2015 10:15 pm
nismotec

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

brakes do quite often feel softer after a pad change . usually they do need to bed in. im not saying you haven't got air in the system, so it might be worth bleeding just in case. Smile

Post #147977927th May 2015 10:36 pm
MGCarr

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

+1 for nismotechs comments, new discs and pads need to bed in, if they still feel soft after 2 or 3 days then bleed the brakes.

1997 Defender 90 for the kids and I to have a go at some competitive off road RTV and Tyro trials, daughter picked up her first trophy over the August Bank Holiday.
Previous Land Rover history
1996 P38 4.6 V8 Autobiography
1996 Discovery TDi 300
1972 Range Rover 3.5 V8
LWB Hard Top Series 3
LWB Truck Cab Series 2A
Not been without a Land Rover for over 40 years - I must need therapy! 

Post #147983828th May 2015 2:41 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Check for oil in the servo whilst you are at it, Has the mod been done for the recall?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #147984128th May 2015 3:37 am
Tomrogers

United Kingdom 

It appears I may just be a impatient git and I should believe what I read in the search threads!!

Done 60 miles now and it's already much much better, not far what is was before so I think another 50 miles and it'll be back feeling how it used to.

It felt so bad at first I was convinced there was something wrong with it, anyone else who has same problem just bear with it and it gets better and better each time you drive

Cheers guys Thumbs Up

Post #147984328th May 2015 5:32 am
ClassikFan

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Changed my front discs and pads with the V8 upgrade 2 weekends ago. Braking immediately had more bit even as the bedded in. Used TRW pads. Last weekend I changed the brake fluid as it was 3 years old and the brakes were again really good. Whilst doing this spotted the rear pads we're over half way worn so with not much to do in current circumstances I got a new set of Delphi rear pads and have just changed them. On a quick test drive the pedal doesn't have the same feel as before, feeling much softer and when stationary with the engine running the pedal sinks slowly on the 3rd press not all th way to the floor but definitely not what I had after doing the fronts. I'll give them a few miles to bed in but does feel a bit disappointing. Delphi seem well liked on this forum wish I'd shelled out for the more expensive TRW pads now. Crying or Very sad Is it wrong to mix brands?
 Just 'cause you got the power... that don't mean you got the right.

Post #213274129th Mar 2020 4:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >