DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Permanent drain pipe on sump
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Harry365

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Permanent drain pipe on sump

Any reason why this is a bad idea?

I want to fit a pipe to turn a 2 hours job back into a 2 minute job. I have under armour and a simple oil change is a mission as it all has to come off to get to the engine.

I want to put a 500mm pip on to extend the drain hole to somewhere more suitable. I am having something properly made up by a local hydraulic pipe company with a female end that accommodates the OEM drain plug. Extra capacity will be accounted for once the internal diameter of the pipe is known.

Id say it was a worthy mod even with the default sump guard as this is a bit of a pain to remove too.

Post #219531921st Dec 2020 4:11 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

It’s a potential point of failure that would write off your engine. A plug in the sump can only fail if it comes loose.

A plug with a pipe attached, and another plug in the end has the potential to come loose also, but twice as likely as there are two plugs. Also it could get damaged and dump your oil . Yes it might be concealed behind armour plating, but still a possibility.

Why not just get a vacuum extractor and suck it out of the dipstick tube?

Post #219532021st Dec 2020 4:24 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

There is already a kit that you can buy that does this with a push fit drain tube that positively clicks into place to allow you to drain down the sump.
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #219532221st Dec 2020 4:36 pm
Harry365

I've tried that in the past and found I could never get all the oil out. Its got a long and small enough pipe and it felt like I was at the bottom but still found it left at least 1L in there. I've just had another quick read on the forums and see that there is mixed success with this approach. Maybe we are all doing something wrong or the people doing it "right" arent verifying their results?

As for point of failure, im not too concerned about that (though point taken), hence why going down the route of a proper made up hydraulic pipe vs making something up with bits from screwfix.

darrind, can you link me the part you mention? I cant get past turbo drain pipes on a search. I have seen others with a pipe fitted so perhaps thats what they are using.

Post #219532421st Dec 2020 4:46 pm
darrind

http://www.quickvalve.co.uk/f106.htm?veh=L...02006-2009

Was one - there is also a German design that has a release that happens when you push the hose in - got a link to it somewhere
Post #219532521st Dec 2020 4:50 pm
darrind

This is the one to go for - my German colleague was showing me this on his Audi last time he came over - really neat - http://www.stahlbus.com/products/en/oil-drain-valve/index.php
Post #219532721st Dec 2020 5:03 pm
Harry365

Ah yeh Ive seen the Stahlbus stuff at rimmers. It's not quite the solution I'm looking for as I would still need access to the sump. It could be used at the end of the pipe though as Gareth has mentioned, I'm already adding an extra point of failure, putting it on the end of the pipe adds even more.

Btw I've just figured out who you are.

I used to maintain the council bought bypass homes around you. You might recall I dropped a tree branch through your gutter, ohhh about 10 years ago now Laughing

Have you done a lap of the bypass yet? My trips to Rimmers have been reduced from 45 mins to 10 mins!

Post #219533121st Dec 2020 5:24 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

I might be mistaken but didn't someone on here devise a "port hole" mod for the under-engine plate to allow access to the sump plug with dismantling the protection ?

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #219533821st Dec 2020 5:47 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Yes.

A much better solution.

A large hole around the drain plug

Post #219537021st Dec 2020 7:38 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Harry365 wrote:
I've tried that in the past and found I could never get all the oil out. Its got a long and small enough pipe and it felt like I was at the bottom but still found it left at least 1L in there. I've just had another quick read on the forums and see that there is mixed success with this approach. Maybe we are all doing something wrong or the people doing it "right" arent verifying their results?

As for point of failure, im not too concerned about that (though point taken), hence why going down the route of a proper made up hydraulic pipe vs making something up with bits from screwfix.

darrind, can you link me the part you mention? I cant get past turbo drain pipes on a search. I have seen others with a pipe fitted so perhaps thats what they are using.

So you are implying that all D4’s have 1ltr of old oil left in after a vacuum oil change?- I don’t think so, the vacuum pipe is in the same level as the drain plug, It may have a little left but not 1ltr.
The D4 has a snap on fitting level with the drain plug and I’m sure it’s flexible, I always drain mine when changing the oil and the first time I did it I found a leak because the fitting had not been pushed fully home from new, surely a simple inspection/access plate is the answer or the possibility of fitting a D4 vacuum pipe.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #219538021st Dec 2020 8:09 pm
Harry365

Strawman; I didn't mention the D4. We were discussing extracting the oil via the dipstick which is not the same as using the manufacturer fitted vacuum line fitted on the D4...

I've explored the idea of an inspection plate but given the guard is not a smooth piece of sheet metal, this is easier said than done. Simply cutting a hole for access is an obvious no.

Besides the single additional point of failure, of which the D4 seems have beat anyway with its second hole in the sump and cheap push on pipe, I havent actually been told theres an issue with using the pipe so I think I'll go ahead. Its certainly the easiest solution beside perhaps mastering the dipstick method of extraction.

As long as adding a pipe doesn't cause any oil issues, the oil being perhaps stagnant in the pipe, or a different temperature, etc, something along the lines of that.

Post #219538121st Dec 2020 8:29 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

There will be many thousands of cars that have only ever had vac oil changes, and yes there is a good chance you will not get all the oil out, so what the world will not end.
The flex pipe will be a point of failure at some time in the future, hydraulics always end up sweating/weeping or leaking.

People get to obsessed with oil changes, upgrade this upgrade that, higher spec oil etc, use any semi decent oil and change it often and the car will be just fine.

I am willing to bet there are many cars out there that have never had an oil change, though they may have a fullly stamped service book!

Post #219538721st Dec 2020 8:40 pm
SpiderBaby
D3 Decade 

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Do you take the vehicle off-road?

If you do I'd be concerned about ripping any extended pipe off. It was because I off road that I decided against cutting a hole through the shield under the drain - the purpose of the shield is protection after all.

I have after market shields on mine and change the oil twice a year - the additional 10 minutes to take the shield off then 10 more to put it back on isn't onerous.

I use a small trolley jack to make it easy.
 I see no ships........  
Post #219541021st Dec 2020 9:43 pm
Harry365

Yeh the vehicle is used heavily offroad for work so like you, I wouldnt consider cutting an access hole.

Unfortunately, the way my under armour is designed, I have to remove 2 bolts on the winch bumper, loosen 2 more, then remove the steering guard then remove the engine plate. I can kind of rejig things to be the other way round and that way less has to be taken off but it then means parts will be extruding and overlap the wrong way. The steering guard doesn't quite fit and its an absolute pita to squeeze in. I change mine 4 or 5 times a year due to mileage so just wanna streamline the process.

Post #219542521st Dec 2020 10:50 pm
Wyn

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

combine harvesters and construction equipment seem to use hoses connected to the sump then out to somewhere more convenient to drain oil.

Post #219542821st Dec 2020 10:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >