Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Suspension issue - only losing air on one side!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jekyllman

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3
Suspension issue - only losing air on one side!

Most of what I'm doing so far is thought experiment as it's been cold/rain/snow here and I haven't been able to dig into it yet. But, the story is that I bought a 2005 LR3 HSE that had very few miles on it the past 2 years. Old guy who eventually passed and therefore didn't drive it much. I drove it 12 hours home from warm California up to cold altitude. It did fine before but the first morning at home it was lowered. I put it up to off-road height and pulled all three air suspension fuses. Next morning, it's listing heavily to the right. Both left side struts seemed nearly fine. It will pop up to normal height pretty quick but takes its time getting up to off-road height. Sometimes it takes 2-3 minutes. Compressor kicks on every 30-60 seconds while the vehicle is running.

Now, my understanding is that there's a front and a rear valve block which controls either both rear or both front struts. So to see both right side struts leak air overnight doesn't make logical sense. And having both bags go the same night also seems odd. The only sign I've found of leaking is there's a hissing sound coming from the front right wheel well. Soapy water on the bag produced unconvincing results.

So my theory is that this vehicle sat for so long and then went for a long drive. Perhaps the desiccant became powder and was sent through the lines during the drive, clogging some valves. So perhaps it's just coincidence then that the two right wheels are the affected ones as the old desiccant was sent randomly through the lines.

Anyways, I'm at a lost but hope to be able to get access to the compressor/dryer next week and the front valve block. But, if anyone has seen this before or who has a more intelligent theory, let me know before I start hunting in the wrong direction! Thanks!!

Post #219646527th Dec 2020 7:03 am
Kviasen

Norway 

Idea Yes there is a separate valve block for both front and both rear wheels.
If you pulled fuses the only way air can escape is between air bellow, air line or connection to either strut connection or valve block connection from that strut.
Dessicants doesent flow through the system because there are wery fine filters that should prevent this unless someone has made a bad repair attempt.
The valve blocs are quite solid state and can normaly handle some small dust particles without problems.
Hissing sound isent good so must be investigated further but since it has sat for a while this can be it.
There should always be a minimum pressure to prevent creesing of the bellows and rust formation in the strut area can also be a problem because rust swells 7 times and the bellow can no longer roll freely up and down and could sheer the rubber and cause cracks.
If you put it in extended mode take a hammer and knock a little in the area just below the rubber bellow you will see that thick pices of rust will start to fall down
Spray soapy water on the top connection and around area where strut penetrates through the upper bracket but in the lower area it si probably better to try to use food film to wrap around and see if it swells the film.
Anyway the bellows are sold aftermarket and is quite easy to replace but remember to remove rust on the sliding area on the shock absorber and give it a lick of paint.

Post #219649027th Dec 2020 10:56 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >