Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Steering Rack Sheared Bolts (?)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Bowley

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Marmaris TealDiscovery 4
Steering Rack Sheared Bolts (?)

Hi all, I have a 2012 D4 that’s done 125k and the last few days I heard a faint grating / scraping noise when turning left. I thought I’d ignore it and see if it got worse. Last night it got worse! Awful grating and popping noises when I steer although the steering itself is fine and true, just feels rough and noisy. The guy from the AA seems to think it is something to do with sheared bolts on ‘the steering rack box’ whatever that is (I am by no means a mechanic). I have a few questions for the forum. Any idea what this is likely to be in layman’s terms, is it a big job for a professional mechanic and roughly how much am I looking at? Was hoping to go away for a week in the car next Friday and suspect that I might need alternative plans!

Thanks in advance.

Post #236556131st Mar 2024 8:03 pm
jackvoyager

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 4

I think the culprit is the universal joint on the steering column.
When it creaked like that, I simply sprayed the joint with oil and it lasted for some time, but then I had to replace it because the universal joint was all rusty and loose.

In the drawing it is number 7.

Last edited by jackvoyager on 31st Mar 2024 9:28 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #236556631st Mar 2024 9:11 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

https://files.ekmcdn.com/advancedfactors/r...k-ends.png

If I were you, I would check whether the steering rack attachment bolts are intact, and tight, or indeed sheared as the AA man says……ie FC114136 x2. But these people are not experts by any means, so he could be just guessing.
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #236556731st Mar 2024 9:25 pm
jackvoyager

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 4

This joint is on the driver's side, you can see it when you open the hood and take a good look between the engine and the frame, closer to the radiator.
You can see it better from underneath after turning the wheels to the right and removing the small cover that is behind the right wheel at the height of the frame and radiator, attached to three or four expansion pins.
After removing it, looking towards the driver's seat, you can see the column and the joint.
Haven't you noticed that the steering wheel seems to be difficult to turn and that it doesn't return to the straight-ahead position on its own after turning, but you need a little help to get it back?
If you see any rust on the joint, spray it with oil and turn the steering wheel left and right a few times.
It should help and stop the creaking noise, if there is no play in the steering wheel, nothing will happen and you can drive, but if there is any play, it needs to be replaced.
This lubrication is only for now, because later it will have to be replaced with a new one anyway.

Post #236557031st Mar 2024 10:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >