Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

PDC (again)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Phantomf4

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
PDC (again)

So I've now done a stage one tune up on the "Death Star" by removing the rear bumper and lightening it by courtesy of several pounds of accumulated mud and other "stuff" that fell on top of me.

The old, pretty manky wiring loom was removed and replaced by a shiny new OE version, which when reconnected to the sensors, retrieved from the utility room radiator, went into banshee mode before going silent.

So, as before, the system seems incapable of performing as it should. Back in the heady days of summer all was well, but at the first sign of rain, the constant beeping followed by the orange flashing light meant that the rear PDC wasn't playing.

As the last fault reading (thanks Disco Mikey) suggested all four sensors were u/s, I assumed that the common denominator may be the wiring, especially as they don't have a good history. So, new loom installed, bumper refitted and no further forward.

Any ideas?

My own thinking is still to accuse the common parts, like the pdc module, but the replacement price is putting me off. Mind you it's a lot cheaper than four new LR sensors, unless anyone knows which sensors from other cars will fit?

For a vehicle designed to wade through mucky water above bumper height, I find it odd that moisture may be their Achilles heel, but maybe I'm being too optimistic?

As always helpful suggestion are more than welcome.

Post #159617419th Jan 2016 11:17 pm
MikeO

Scotland 

You can pick up sensors for £10-£15 each on eBay. Part number is YDB500301PMA. Much cheaper than originals.

eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SmartSense-PDC-P...SwHnFVoBKX

If you read the fault codes you could change one of them and see if that then shows up as working. You'd then know if all 4 are faulty or it's a shared component.

Or just spend £50 on a set of 4. If it turns out not to be the sensors at fault there's always demand for them so you could re-sell them on here. Thumbs Up
 2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate
<gone>2009 FF Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue</gone>
<gone>2015 BMW 520D SE (not my favourite car)</gone>
<gone>2009 D3 HSE Galway Green</gone 

Post #159626520th Jan 2016 9:44 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Be aware that those cheaper sensors don't start detection until 0.6-0.7m away from the obstacle Thumbs Up

The genuine sensors detect at 2.5m, and give an audible warning at around 1.5m

Not an issue for most, but will be for some Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #159627020th Jan 2016 10:00 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Phantomf4

Cheers guys, food for thought there.

Having continuity checked the wiring I removed from the car and found it OK, my next plan was to install new sensors in the old loom whilst off the car and plug the loom into the multi plug behind the near side rear light.

I reckon this will show if it was the sensors or the PDC module without the need to remove the rear bumper (again) although I reckon it would be easier second time around now all the fixings have been undone once!

Given the disparity in sensor range highlighted by Disco Mikey, does anyone know where to acquire decent quality ones without paying LR prices?

Post #159632620th Jan 2016 12:05 pm
Phantomf4

I've now cleaned the old PDC wiring loom and checked all the wires and connectors again for continuity and found no problems.

I think someone mentioned that the sensors were wired in series, so if one failed, none would work. That didn't seem logical because if that was true diagnostics wouldn't be able to identify which ones were or were not working; and from the way the connectors are wired that doesn't seem to be the case.

Well the new sensors arrived this morning so it's time for a quick test fit to see if the problem is with the car or was sensor related.

Wish me luck!

Post #159696521st Jan 2016 2:19 pm
Phantomf4

Success at last!

As DM mentioned the range is not as great as OE sensors, but £40 for 4 is just over half the retail price for 1 LR sensor so I'm happy enough. At least the incessant bleep/flashing light is gone.

Out of curiosity I'm going to try a remedy we used all the time on Fleet Air Arm electronic kit and leave the old sensors to dry out for a few days. Whereas we had specially designed drying and dehumidifying cabinets in he Navy, I'm using the kitchen radiator instead.

As I still have the old wiring loom, which has been cleaned, checked and found to be completely serviceable, I'll be able to do a quick check if I simply plug in the old assembly into the socket under the near side rear light unit.

I'm slightly curious why my Dec 2005 registered Disco had sensors dated 16/01/2007? (On the right in his pic) maybe they have been replaced previously?

Post #160129929th Jan 2016 4:27 pm
sailorboi

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Disco_Mikey wrote:
Be aware that those cheaper sensors don't start detection until 0.6-0.7m away from the obstacle Thumbs Up

Not an issue for most, but will be for some Thumbs Up

Now this is interesting. Are there any after market ones that people know of that detect at the same distances?
 07 Java Black TD V6 D3, EGRs Blanked, Tow bar, Full dog guard & divider, LED Spots , DRLs, GG ATs, RLD Sump guard, RLD Spare Wheel Protector, D4 LED Rear Lights, Limo tints on boot and Midnight tint on rear windows, Kenwood screen with Garmin nav, Rear cameras, D4 Steering wheel with flappy paddles, T-max split charge system, Tree sliders, Prospeed roof rack & Ladder, Alisport fast road inter cooler,

Massey Ferguson 35x
Sankey Narrow Track Camping Trailer (Gone but to a great home) 

Post #160143829th Jan 2016 8:01 pm
joakes

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

[quote="Disco_Mikey"]Be aware that those cheaper sensors don't start detection until 0.6-0.7m away from the obstacle

Not an issue for most, but will be for some"

This is interesting, I have had a few issues with rear sensors, bought some chinese Quanan copies from amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071HP...&psc=1 but they failed after 2 years, damp i think. They were 16.99 each

Then I found these genuine Valeo ones on Ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224268731701?ss...2749.l2649 £ 50.95 for four. They work well. I just checked and, reversing up to a wall the beeps start at about 1.8 M.

Probably slightly less than the Landrover supplied Valeo ones but considering the saving a good option.

Jonathan
 joakes  
Post #225321724th Sep 2021 11:03 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >