Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Defender has gone.....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Defender has gone.....

Took the Defender back yesterday, 21k, no issues and loved it, a really great car in the mould of a D3 Crying or Very sad

Replaced it with a really 'practical' Jag' F-Type Mr. Green

It has a lovely V8 whoofle but they've turned the exhaust roar down, even with the bypass valves open but it still sounds good if pressing the go pedal hard in an overtake, etc.

Managed to get the roof down yesterday on round trip to Shrewsbury but today is persisting down. The AWD will help during winter I am sure.

The sat nav and entertainment is the last gen so its a bit clunky after Pivi-Pro in the Defender.

Post #231508915th Nov 2022 8:31 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Nice! We’ve still got our F Type after nearly 8 years of ownership.

Ours is a V6 with the early ‘crackly pop’ exhaust tones. It does sound fantastic, but it’s definitely not a car for leaving home in the middle of the night, and it scares some people when you start it up. I can understand why JLR toned it down a bit!

Apart from a couple of water ingress related faults it’s been perfect.

Post #231509115th Nov 2022 8:48 am
astonbuilder

I think mine may still well have been heard by the neighbours at 6.15am this morning as it blips itself on the start-up......

Post #231509915th Nov 2022 10:01 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Yes! That’s the issue with us. I have to put it into gear immediately to shut it up.

I believe the earlier ones like mine have vacuum operated exhaust valves that are open at startup, and take a few seconds to close. Yours might be different.

Post #231510815th Nov 2022 11:44 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

That looks amazing. Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #231511015th Nov 2022 12:06 pm
astonbuilder

Gareth wrote:
Yes! That’s the issue with us. I have to put it into gear immediately to shut it up.

I believe the earlier ones like mine have vacuum operated exhaust valves that are open at startup, and take a few seconds to close. Yours might be different.

My version has valves but not sure how they activate (I presume electrically), you can 'manually' open them with a button on the centre-console (doesn't make much difference these days)

On start-up the car blips to 2,000 revs then drops to about 1,000rpm to cold-idle but, as you say, if you put it into gear revs drop to about 550rpm and its much quieter!

I haven't tried the exhaust bypass in dynamic mode yet, may have a more profound effect Wink

I always found the V6 'wailed' more, even in my old F-Pace V6 P380 it sounded like an angry banshee at full chat Mr. Green

edit: a Jag' forum said they are vacuum operated, used to be on a pump but latterly direct from the manifold. Suggested they always start 'loud' until a vacuum built up after a few seconds to close the valves (unless dynamic mode or the valve switch operated which some people seemingly do to have as loud a start as possible. They'll be the one's that put it into neutral at lights and rev to 6k to get a snap, crackle and pop, I guess the backwards facing baseball cap is also a giveaway........ Wink )

Post #231511915th Nov 2022 1:42 pm
astonbuilder

LT wrote:

They are still great looking cars in my opinion and I know its a split decision but I much prefer the slimmer headlamps on the current model and the lower grilles over the shark-gill older type.

However, development paused on them a while ago and they are slipping behind on the tech really.They have a bigger central infotainment screen but its not the Pivi-Pro latest gen system so the sat nav and general movement around the screens is a bit clunky. It does have a configurable digital driver dash and I have that sat as full sat-nav screen. I do miss blind-spot in the mirrors, common on pretty much anything else I've had but not on the car that most needs it Rolling Eyes Similarly the front camera would be useful with such a long/low nose but these are all first-world problems when its about the roof down and the lovely engine note Cool

They do seem to have eked out a few more cubic inches in the boot too so its definitely a couple of soft holdalls capable now with coats and small bags around them rather than the completely useless boot when launched.

Only get one key-fob and a key blade to save on a couple of chips (employees, not real world customers) which will be a bit of a faff at times but, hey ho.

I think I'll cope with it for the next 9-10 months Wink

Post #231512515th Nov 2022 2:31 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

LT wrote:

It does but this time of year will make it look very dull/dirty very quickly thanks to road grime. The one problem with black paint.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #231515115th Nov 2022 5:23 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Someone’s got to slum it I suppose!

I did look at upgrading to a newer F Type a few years ago, but the ‘upgrades’ were negligible when the £50k cost to change was taken into account.

I prefer the older original nose, but they are both stunning cars.

Click image to enlarge

Post #231515215th Nov 2022 5:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >