Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

D4 Home Maintenance and Servicing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Tin1972

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
D4 Home Maintenance and Servicing

I am assuming that many of us are handy with a set of spanners, even if we're not qualified mechanics.

With that in mind, can you help me, a new owner, with a list of all the things that with a simple toolkit we ought to be able to manage by ourselves as far as home servicing and maintenance are concerned? For people like myself who are new to the brand it would be useful to have a single 'voice of experience' post that helps out newer members and ensures we can help ourselves keep the bills to a minimum if we take on the responsibility of home maintenance. Prevention being better than cure, and all that.

If you can add any advice, links, or gotchas to look out for on this that would also be really helpful.

For example.
- Oil Changes (Engine, Gearbox, Differential, Brakes, Steering), and how regularly?
- Coolant Flushes, and how regularly?
- All belts (Timing, Auxiliary, etc)
- Suspension (arms, air and spring) inspection and servicing, and how regularly?
- Brake Disks, Calipers, Pads and Lines, and how regularly?
- Areas of concern for rust, structural weaknesses, and impact grounding.
- Lubrication areas to prevent future issues within bodywork, locks, handles, and mirrors.
- Electrical, earth points actual, earth points where regular shorts occur, battery issues and when to replace.
- Hoses, what ought to be inspected regularly, and what ought to be replaced as part of maintenance.
- Sensors, what goes the most, and what can be changed as part of servicing without needing any calibration.
- Air Con inspection and servicing, and how regularly?
- Other components that need regular maintenance and inspection, and how regularly?
- What you can do to help maintain and prevent future crank issues.

Post #233075121st Mar 2023 9:26 am
riverblanche

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

and welcome, best advice I would give is use the underlined "Search" button in the title bar above,

as every ones knowledge (or inclination Whistle ) is different what one will easily do another wont attempt, you can see if others do their own work and what they use to do it, then decide if you will want to do it or not Question

Its amazing what some do on their drive Bow down so probably everything you mention is do-able

it just if you Want to Thumbs Up

and regarding the crank, buy a lottery ticket and keep your fingers crossed is my advice
percentage wise you will be unlucky if it does, dont loose any sleep about it.
 Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Another Porsche Cayenne 2022
Gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
Gone RRS HSE Dynamic 2016
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

I plan on living forever and so far so good !

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #233078721st Mar 2023 2:13 pm
Kummu24

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Hi

Welcome also.

Also, access the link marked Wiki. Loads of data on there on Maintenance and many other potential tasks, including a somewhat legendary Brake Bible from forum member Bodsy. Some incredibly knowledgable individuals on here who share knowledge freely - you’ll soon see the same names appearing over and over.

Been on here 10+ years and there’s hardly a topic Ive encountered where someone hasn’t already posted their experience. Thankfully still a forum full of really helpful and tolerant people and non-constructive input is refreshingly rare /. Long may it continue
 Corris Grey SDV6 D4 2015 HSE
Adriatic Blue TDV6 D3 2004 SE (Gone)
Grey Freelander 1 TD4 SE 2001 (Gone) 

Post #233082621st Mar 2023 7:43 pm
DJEwen

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I came here to mention the wiki section also, although this area doesn’t seem to capture everything it’s pretty close and good ground covering.

I know what you mean though, it would be handy if there was a direct go to and less searching given there has been 18 years of coverage on most tasks. Many of the tasks are sticky’s in each forum section too however which is useful but for now the search function and especially wiki is your friend.
 2005 Discovery 3 HSE Zambezi Silver 56,000mls  
Post #233083021st Mar 2023 8:09 pm
justmark

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I bow to the knowledge and dedication to the brand of those who have posted help, fixes and how too's on this forum, its helped me save thousands of pounds by giving me confidence to do myself Bow down

Post #233093622nd Mar 2023 6:05 pm
DJEwen

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

DJEwen wrote:
I came here to mention the wiki section also, although this area doesn’t seem to capture everything it’s pretty close and good ground covering.

I know what you mean though, it would be handy if there was a direct go to and less searching given there has been 18 years of coverage on most tasks. Many of the tasks are sticky’s in each forum section too however which is useful but for now the search function and especially wiki is your friend.

I need to retract my earlier comment. The WIKI is literally everything you need by the looks of it. I’ve been lost for days in there so far, it’s brilliant. This forum really is fantastic!
 2005 Discovery 3 HSE Zambezi Silver 56,000mls  
Post #233106123rd Mar 2023 8:38 pm
Tin1972

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Thanks guys. Im also addicted to the wiki now!!

Post #233138626th Mar 2023 1:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >