DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Random dash error messages
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
kevofcov

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4
Random dash error messages

2016 3.0 Graphite

I’m getting random error messages. ‘Water in fuel’ ‘normal height only’ All appears fine with the car at the time and the messages are gone when the car is next started. One a week at the mo.

I’ve done a search and am guessing having read other threads that the battery may be the cause. It’s the factory battery (2016) so it’s served me well. Change it as a precaution anyway?

Overnight charge before fitting then is it plug and play? I don’t have iid but do have Autel.

Post #233067320th Mar 2023 6:38 pm
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

water in fuel aint good would not drive it any longer before you drain the filter completely or best to replace it for new one

normal height only might be related

water in fuel i would not ignore before fuel system gets Censored
Greg

Post #233067420th Mar 2023 6:45 pm
Bardley

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

If you really do have the originally battery, then you've done very well.
Battery is an 019.
Choice of brand is yours, but personally I stick with Yuasa.
Halfords batteries are made by Yuasa. If you can find someone with a trade card, there's a good saving to be had.
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/batterie...48653.html

The battery monitoring system on the car will need a reset. You maybe able to do this on your tool.
Battery fitment requires you to let the car systems shutdown before disconnecting the old battery. Open bonnet and leave for about 5mins, then swap them. It's doable alone, but handy to have another pair of hands to keep the cables out of the way.

The fuel filter fault can be an issue with the filter housing. They are known to give trouble and require replacement along with a new filter.

You may like to try a battery swap and see if faults disappear.
There are some good electronic battery testers on the market that will give you an idea about It's state.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134319399359?mk...media=COPY
 2011 MY D4 HSE
Previously 2001 D2 TD5, 1996 D1 300Tdi, 1985 90 2.2 petrol.
Bikes! KTM, BMW, British, Classics and others.

Post #233068220th Mar 2023 7:48 pm
kevofcov

grzesiul wrote:
water in fuel aint good would not drive it any longer before you drain the filter completely or best to replace it for new one

normal height only might be related

water in fuel i would not ignore before fuel system gets Censored
Greg

The message appeared for an hour last week and was gone when I used the car next. It has not reappeared. I assume this is a spurious message in error.
If it reappears I will take it serious

Post #233069320th Mar 2023 8:17 pm
kevofcov

Bardley wrote:
If you really do have the originally battery, then you've done very well.
Battery is an 019.
Choice of brand is yours, but personally I stick with Yuasa.
Halfords batteries are made by Yuasa. If you can find someone with a trade card, there's a good saving to be had.
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/batterie...48653.html

The battery monitoring system on the car will need a reset. You maybe able to do this on your tool.
Battery fitment requires you to let the car systems shutdown before disconnecting the old battery. Open bonnet and leave for about 5mins, then swap them. It's doable alone, but handy to have another pair of hands to keep the cables out of the way.

The fuel filter fault can be an issue with the filter housing. They are known to give trouble and require replacement along with a new filter.

You may like to try a battery swap and see if faults disappear.
There are some good electronic battery testers on the market that will give you an idea about It's state.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134319399359?mk...media=COPY

Thanks Bardley
Ive been impressed with Halfords prices on batteries recently. Better than Europarts. I also have a Halfords Trade Card so even better.

Last edited by kevofcov on 27th Mar 2023 8:16 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #233069520th Mar 2023 8:21 pm
kevofcov

Bardley wrote:

I'm out there this morning to see if my Autel will do a reset. Been on the tube and nobody seems to bother - with no ill effects.

Post #233135026th Mar 2023 8:01 am
kevofcov

Ok – an update.

A new random happening on the M40 on the way to Heathrow on Saturday – parking sensors came on southbound in traffic....
Also it’s taking slightly longer to turnover now before starting. All starting to point to battery fatigue. Bit the bullet and purchased a new battery from Halfords. £186.00 which included a £50 trade card discount. I’ve read of even cheaper prices by mail order.

Fitting is super easy. After fitting the new battery you will need to clear the false codes produced. I used my Autel – see below. You will also will need to teach the four electric windows how to do their stuff. I found a Youtube guide for the windows which I watched before battery swopping. I can’t see anything that I would add.

If you have an electric sunroof it will also need to learn stuff. Open and close it fully and then remove your finger. Now hold the lower half of the switch down for 20 secs. You will hear a noise from somewhere and job done. Taken straight from the Haynes manual.

One downside of the new battery is that my engine stop/bloody/start is now doing its thing again. Censored . It’s been quiet for 5 years....

I’m not sure what is meant by ‘the battery monitoring needing to be reset’. I have an Autel diagnostic connector (£40 purchase price plus £20 yearly optional subscription – great value) and all I have done is reset all the fault codes generated by fitting the new battery. Am I missing something regarding resetting the battery monitoring reset? I’ve read on another thread that whilst it’s good practice the module will learn about the new battery all by itself.

Voltages before change, warm engine.

Engine off 12.0 v
At tick over 14.5v

Voltages after change, warm engine

Engine off 12.3v
At tick over 14.4v

Post #233150327th Mar 2023 9:03 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

12.3V is only half charged. Be worth putting it on charge and getting it up to fully charged at c.12.7V.

Also worth checking it regularly in case the alternator is getting tired.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #233151327th Mar 2023 10:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >