DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Disco 4 Leaking after rain
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Static

South Africa 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Disco 4 Leaking after rain

Good Day All

So i purchased a 2013 Discovery 4 SE a few weeks ago (auction dealer - no return warranty)

The vehicle has some minor cosmetic issue i knew of and will be fixing them as time goes on.

So here is my issue, the vehicle was standing still for about a week at my house when there was some heavy rain, the weekend i got into the vehicle and i could smell the damp odor of wet carpets.

On investigation the whole passenger footwell was under water and i had to lift the carpet as far as i could without removing anything and had dried it out with towels and left a heater fan blowing underneath the carpet until the insulation foam was dry (as far as possible)

I watched some videos and believed the issue to be the sunroof drain pipes that are blocked or the L shape bend part behind the dash that may be broken as in this video:

?si=xOlH_b52N_XyJHdr

I took the Disco to an indy and they said the drain pipe was clogged up and thus cleaned it out.

Last night we had some light rain again and when i inspected the vehicle the roof lining was wet behind the sun-visor and the whole panel at the A-pillar:
Image attached:
Click image to enlarge

The marks right at the sunroof seems to be old marks and are dry.

I called the Indy and they said they will maybe need to replace the whole drain pipe, but im wondering if this is not due to an issue with the A-pillar clips or even the roof rack seam sealer that has failed?

Any advise would be appreciated

FYI i believe the windshield has been replaced in the past due to my rain sensor bracket being loose in the black cover

Last edited by Static on 5th Oct 2023 12:33 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #23495945th Oct 2023 8:30 am
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Not experienced or familiar with the issues of leaks affecting the roof lining like that, but if you need to quickly stop water getting in through the sunroof ( if you believe it might be that), then you can seal it up with electrical tape. That might give you time to consider a more permanent fix, and could even help rule it out. Electrical tape doesn’t leave a sticky residue after you peel it off.
Best of luck sorting it.
Chers
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #23495965th Oct 2023 8:52 am
joness7

United Kingdom 

I would say your indy has knocked the drain pipe off the sunroof spigot with some over zealous rodding, so now it dangles uselessly inside the roof lining, and the water is just running into your roof space and finding a route out down the A pillar.
 2018 1.5Ti Skoda Octavia - dull as f&ck
2019 D5 SdV6 SE Anniversary - black/black - good riddance!!
2010 D4 TDV6 HSE - Nara Bronze with black - now gone!!
2006 D3 TDV6 HSE - Buckingham Blue with Alpaca - now gone!!
BMW R1200GS - also blue, also gone!!
Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin DCT - Dakar colours
Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 - the Black Arrow 

Post #23495995th Oct 2023 9:05 am
KPTV8

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Hi, DO CONTINUE keeping that footwell dry - if either footwell is wet then electrical problems build which are often VERY confusing and can be difficult and tedious to diagnose and repair.
Yes, sealing the sunroof perimeter with tape is a good stopgap measure, consider also drilling a 3mm drain hole in your floorpan where you can see the water pooling (typically just inside the sill/rocker-plate).
But do be very CAREFUL and go gently when the drill breaks through the floorpan steel so as not to pierce components immediately below !!
Good luck getting dry again, you should find a huge volume of advice relevant to wet footwelss on this forum !!

Post #23496225th Oct 2023 11:02 am
Static

Gary_P wrote:
Not experienced or familiar with the issues of leaks affecting the roof lining like that, but if you need to quickly stop water getting in through the sunroof ( if you believe it might be that), then you can seal it up with electrical tape. That might give you time to consider a more permanent fix, and could even help rule it out. Electrical tape doesn’t leave a sticky residue after you peel it off.
Best of luck sorting it.
Chers

Appreciate the advice i will look at taping it up for now until i know what I'm dealing with

Post #23496365th Oct 2023 12:49 pm
Static

joness7 wrote:
I would say your indy has knocked the drain pipe off the sunroof spigot with some over zealous rodding, so now it dangles uselessly inside the roof lining, and the water is just running into your roof space and finding a route out down the A pillar.

Ill try and remove the inner trimming and see if i can spot that drain pipe, don't know how to really get to the section where it connects to the sunroof unless i drop the roof lining?

Post #23496385th Oct 2023 12:51 pm
Static

KPTV8 wrote:
Hi, DO CONTINUE keeping that footwell dry - if either footwell is wet then electrical problems build which are often VERY confusing and can be difficult and tedious to diagnose and repair.
Yes, sealing the sunroof perimeter with tape is a good stopgap measure, consider also drilling a 3mm drain hole in your floorpan where you can see the water pooling (typically just inside the sill/rocker-plate).
But do be very CAREFUL and go gently when the drill breaks through the floorpan steel so as not to pierce components immediately below !!
Good luck getting dry again, you should find a huge volume of advice relevant to wet footwelss on this forum !!

Appreciated the advise, ill see to drill a small hole this weekend for draining if this happens again, will be trying to keep a waterproof cover over the Disco until i get it sorted as well

Post #23496405th Oct 2023 12:53 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Here’s a link on a similar fault. Look at the description at the bottom of page 1 of the posts, which explains what to do to take a look at where the sunroof drains join the sunroof. There’s also some photos.
Always worth a search on here. There’s very little that someone hasn’t already suffered/dealt with.
Good luck.

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic152790.html
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #23496525th Oct 2023 2:30 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Get a cheap Aqua vac and some small bore valeting nozzles and you can dry the floor channel out reasonably easily - it helps if you can park the car on an incline as it will allow the water to flow back in the channel to the rear of the car so you can vac the majority of the water and then go from there.

Most aqua vacs come with the wider nozzles which will be great for getting a lot of the moisture out of the carpet and sound proofing.

Newspaper is a great help to draw moisture out of the carpet after you then have gone over them lots of times with the aqua vac.

Probably the case as mentioned earlier that the elbow has been pushed off under the headliner or nicked when they were cleaning it but also a good possibility it has got blocked at the elbow behind the CJB and that the pipe itself is fine.

When I changed mine the passenger side elbow was perished and weakened behind the CJB and the pipe was fine. All of the genuine elbows are the same type and you used to be able to buy the middle ones for the B pillar with pipe a lot cheaper than the front pipe used in the A Pillar. From memory mine were from a RRSport - once you have the pipe with elbow, you can remove the elbow part and just swap that if the pipe is ok and not blocked, however if you want to change the pipe and elbows together the old one can be used to draw the new one through.
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #23496645th Oct 2023 4:32 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

There’s a screw behind the airbag badge on the inside of the A pillar trim, pull the trim off. The corner of the roof lining can be pulled down sufficiently to get your hand in and push the rubber bend back on, tight and fiddly but it can be done. Test it with a small amount of water when done.
Hair dryer is your friend to blow dry under the carpets Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #23496695th Oct 2023 5:06 pm
Static

Thank you everyone thus far for the great advice, its greatly appreciated.

So when i got home this afternoon i removed the a pillar trim, sunvisor, map lap unit and handle on the roof above the door.

I pulled down the roof lining so i could see the Sunroof and the tube was fully over the spigot

Decided to throw some water over the roof and checked for leaks. . . Water started coming from the windshield all around the top seal.

I will probably need to get a company to remove and seal the windshield in place again, then hope the issue is resolved or further investigation will need to be done it the problem is still there.

I also need to get someone to reattach the rain sensor bracket to the windshield seeing as mine was completely loose when i got the vehicle.

Post #23496805th Oct 2023 7:21 pm
KPTV8

Very good point there above about testing the tube/pipe/elbow repair !!
Ensure you see water going DOWN the corner hole in question below the sunroof (you can see it from above) and also ensure you see the same water appearing on the ground below !!

Post #23496855th Oct 2023 8:21 pm
KPTV8

Oh yuk, I just saw your update about the lousy windshield seal, sorry you've been hit with that Sad((

Post #23496865th Oct 2023 8:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >