Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Driving to Menorca
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
edwardandtubs

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Driving to Menorca

Given the cost of flights, car hire when we get there, and SWMBO's dislike of flying I'm contemplating driving to Menorca this year.

Wanted to see if anyone has driven to the island and wondered how long it took, with reasonable overnight stops, from the Manchester area and any hints/tips/advice on the whole journey
 Discovery 4 HSE Luxury Santorini MY12
Discovery 3 GS Manual Java MY07 ( gone )
Mini Cooper S 

Post #233932313th Jun 2023 2:39 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Presumably you would drive to Barcelona & then catch the ferry to Mahon.

I have often driven to Barcelona, in various Land Rovers & also once each in my MGA & MGB BT V8.

Sometimes I take the Brittany ferry to Bilbao or Santander & drive back through France, sometimes drive both ways.

I would have thought that it's eminently doable.

NJSS

Post #233932513th Jun 2023 2:52 pm
edwardandtubs

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Yes, I think the ideal route would be via the euro tunnel, down to Barcelona and across via the ferry to Mahon.

I'm trying to gauge costs/how long it would take with a stop or two etc - never really done a big road trip like this before
 Discovery 4 HSE Luxury Santorini MY12
Discovery 3 GS Manual Java MY07 ( gone )
Mini Cooper S 

Post #233933313th Jun 2023 4:46 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

How long between stops is very much a personal issue.

I'm 81 & my partner is 78. I'm quite happy to drive much further in a day (maybe 600 miles or more) than she is (250 to 350 miles).

Barcelona is some 820 miles for the tunnel exit, so you probably want to stop at least once. To some extent this will be dependant on the departure time for the ferry to Mahon, as you will want to arrive in Barcelona in good time.

SWMBO would insist on two overnight stops, and this is what we will be doing when returning from Callas, which is some 800 miles to Cherbourg where we catch the home bound ferry. We stop on the way back near Clermont-Ferrand and then within a few miles of Cherbourg.

We go out by ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao which is about 380 miles from Barcelona, so a sensible day's drive.

Lots of options to explore. Good luck, let us know what you decide & how you get on.

NJSS

Post #233933613th Jun 2023 5:16 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

You could drive and Mrs NJSS could fly out to tie up with you getting there and able to pick her up at the airport. Road trip for you and nice and easy day for her. OK, she’s not keen on flying but nothing a few VCs or G&Ts wouldn’t fix. Whistle

Post #233934513th Jun 2023 5:45 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I'm looking to drive to Mallorca in October. I'm so bored of flying so thought I'd make a road trip of it with the family. Looks like they will fly and I'll meet them there Rolling Eyes At least it makes it easier carrying the bikes. Thumbs Up

Anyway, I'm planning to Eurotunnel it over and go via the west of France, mini safari through the Pyrenees, down to Barcelona and then ferry to Palma.

Return plan is Palma to Barcelona ferry, drive to Bilbao / Santandar and get the ferry back to Plymouth or Portsmouth.

I'm looking forward to it and have decided to go at my pace and stop where and when I want to. I'll book open tickets so I'm not constrained by trains or ferries. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #233938113th Jun 2023 11:23 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

Did a similar trip to that several years ago Moo, France, across the Pyrenees then down the Med but we ended up at the family home in the Costas for a few days before heading back across the middle of Spain. We were camping the entire way. Absolutely superb trip and remaining flexible, as you say, is key.

First trip was in my old TD5, and then did it again in the D4. Funnily enough SWMBO and I were talking about this at the weekend, to do it now I'd buy/build an exped trailer.
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #234043626th Jun 2023 2:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >