Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

Radio U0184 error on D4 - how to check fuses?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
free1000

United Kingdom 
Radio U0184 error on D4 - how to check fuses?

I've been having a problem with my radio going blank screen. I have a 2010 model, with the Denso screens/control unit.

Then my battery became discharged, possibly because of a parasitic drain, maybe caused by a stuck on/off button on the radio controls beneath the head unit. I've now replaced this component.

I replaced the battery (looking at this site, now I realise I should have bought an AGM battery, but anyway, the new battery kind of works and is no longer draining with the radio and controls disconnected)

On starting the car after having the battery disconnected for a day the radio came up, once or twice. Then it stopped again. I've assumed this is because the disconnection resulted in a full reset.

I've tried swapping the radio/head unit for a s/h unit, but it made no difference, so I'm working on the idea that the root cause is a dodgy fuse.

My thinking behind this is that the radio functioned for a short period and flickered on and off, this feels consistent with a failing fuse that finally blew, I can't get the radio to come on again.

Now I have a problem.

I find the position of the radio fuse is virtually impossible to access as the fuses are tucked deep inside the left of the car with various wiring bundles obscuring them. I'm not very well at the moment with heart failure and not strong so I am worried that with the fuse removal tool I'll end up dropping the fuse.

The small fuse removal tool seems adequate for removing the more easily accessible fuses, but I'm having a real problem getting to the radio fuse which is buried deep at the bottom.

Question 1

Is there another tool I could get or some smart trick for getting these fuses in or out. Some kind of extended version of the small tool? The terminals on the fuse are too tiny to easily get the probes of my multimeter in there to check it in situ. I tried that first.

Question 2

Has anyone got a key for the colour coded wiring on the Denso head unit? If I knew which wires were the power supply I could test for continuity at the head unit.

Question 3

How important is the AGM battery? I'll shell out for it if necessary despite wasting the money on a regular one.

Post #237384023rd Jul 2024 9:17 am
Bee Craigs

United Kingdom 

Hi lm having similar infotainment issues and can help with the fuses question (1). I did drop the fuse tool and spare fuses into the void, fortunately have spares and used extra long nose pliers (11”) easily found on amazon or ebay to replace.
Still battling through the other issues and not finding much help or interest from local auto sparks.
Good luck

Post #23747417th Aug 2024 8:05 pm
free1000

United Kingdom 
Good idea

In the ‘doh’ category, but I’ve never seen a pair so long… so I’ve ordered some long reach 11”

Might not fix things, but worth a try before engaging my local JLR engineer who obvs is relatively expensive.

Is your problem very similar?

Post #23747427th Aug 2024 8:13 pm
Bee Craigs

United Kingdom 

Not really as mine has started with an infotainment issue rather than battery, but lm in a world of pain as the bus system seems endless and so interconnected. I’d really just like to remove it completely as long as it has no effect on other systems and fit a modern Car Play unit.

Post #23747437th Aug 2024 8:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >