South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Camping trailers

Do you guys have any experience with any / all of the following:

Echo Kavango
Jurgens Explorer
Imagine Trailvan
Big Boys Inyati
Conqueror Commander

I am getting a bit tired of lugging a large tent around (takes up a lot of space inside) and erecting all the time for overnight stays. Also, my son is 6 years' old and the missues is expecting again. Razz Therefore I need an option whereby the trailer can sleep 4 all accessible from within (the Oryx is therefore not an option, pity Sad ).

I also notice many of you are fitting aftermarket tow bars (BRS). Is this really necessary to tow the above or is it just for height-adjusting purposes?

Post #29870014th May 2008 3:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Howzit boet!

I hope the 2nd attempt is going well..... Embarassed

We had one of our crowd towing the commander during last month's botswana trip. Its very heavy, and we had to pull him out of the sand quite often, and out of a river once.
I would expect that the other "caravans" are also a bit on the heavy side, but if you aren't considering serious offroading, thats probly fine. The D3 will easily cope with any one of them on the highway

have you considered the trailers as an option? I have the conquest and very happy with it - although my 2 boys (9&6) and the missus & myself sleep in a 1.4m rooftop tent when necessary....

I know the caravans are a lot more convenient when it comes to setup, but the extra weight and heft makes them a Censored to tow in the rough stuff.

The reason why I fitted the other towbar is for the extra ground clearance. With the standard bar, you find you are plowing a furrow behind you in the thick stuff, and this just helps slow you down enough to get stuck, plus it levels out the trailer behind the vehicle

Post #29871014th May 2008 4:11 pm
eetamagog

South Africa 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I had a 4x4 trailer with the roof top ,eeziawn awning with the 3 sides and fully equiped. I changed and bought the explorer jurgens and that was great but the family got too large so I bought an normal caravan large. The new Explorer is a gem you can choose the double door or the single door , but make sure the front bed folds out, not like the old one that folds in. The reason I bought Jurgens is that there is a dealer in most large towns and a lot of the stuff is off the shelf,and they have been around for donkeys years. If had a choice I would buy myself a new explorer Tintent.
 Discovery 3SE tdv6  
Post #29872214th May 2008 4:35 pm
Rencolyn

South Africa 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

I have a Bushwakka trailer. The latest news from them in Worcester is that they are developing an off-road caravan with features like 'remote controlled setup'. Sounds great for quick & easy setup for older folks.

My son purchased an Echo Kavango in December last year. He towed it to Cape Town and there it sits in his garage, unused & collecting dust. He may want to sell it as his wife seems dead against camping. Pm me if you need his number.
 Ren Colyn
TDV6 HSE 

Post #29957316th May 2008 11:42 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >