Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Africa

4X4 expert on Supersport
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
4X4 expert on Supersport

I happened to stumble across Heine's favourite 4X4 expert - A st. P___ Wh__ on one of the sport channels last night. Twisted Evil
Seems like there is 13 episodes and each one will evaluate a specific vehicle. The one last night dealt with the Subaru Forester.

Can't wait for the episodes on D3 and Defender Wink
 Erstwhile - D3 S '07. Dual battery system. Upgraded tow hitch. Mantec skid plate. Frontrunner rr. Tmax double headed built in compressor

Defender TD5 110 CSW '00. "With everything" 

Post #31325123rd Jun 2008 12:12 pm
robharvey

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

As far as I can see there isn't one on the D3, but he is doing a comparison between the LC 76 and the Puma Defender 110. Don't hold your breath Defender fans.

Post #31329323rd Jun 2008 1:01 pm
Doc

United States 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Maybe we can start a AStP hate club with Heine as the Chairman Rolling with laughter

Doc

Post #31333023rd Jun 2008 1:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rencolyn

South Africa 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Just had a chat to the camera man who did the filming (family) & he confirms that the D3 is not featured in the series ... Big Cry ... because Land Rover refused to make a D3 available for the road / field report!!!

Other manufacturers supplied vehicles with a full tank of gas & refreshments & met them at the airport.

I find the DVD's from A St.P-W an absolute pleasure, down to earth & honest on all his findings. Thumbs Up Always good info.
 Ren Colyn
TDV6 HSE 

Post #31338123rd Jun 2008 3:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Depends if the whore is given a Puma for free . Then it will win hands down Laughing

Post #31338223rd Jun 2008 3:34 pm
stpierrewhite

South Africa 
Andrew St.Pierre White's tupence worth

Hi Everyone.
The 13 part show does not feature one vehicle each show, even though a few shows may appear that way. There is a feature on an old friend: A V8 Defender, and there is a comparison between the 70 Land Cruiser and the Defender. This was an interesting experiment: I posted a shortened version of the test on YouTube and the comments were interesting. I tried so very hard to be unbiased, and after all, I think I was! Read the comments: The Land Cruiser owners think that I must drive a Defender to criticizing the Cruiser this way,... and, all the Defender owners think that I own a Land Cruiser... for exactly the same reason. A Defender owner will only hear what is said against their choice of vehicle, and conclude that the reviewer is biased, and the Land Cruiser owners think exactly the same way! For me, the two vehicles are very similar and the main reason why I drive a Land Cruiser and not a Defender as my personal vehicle is the reliability and service support of Toyota is so much better. But none of the viewers of the Youtube test know that!
Enjoy the shows. They are about to be broadcast in the UK. I will post the show dates on the following link:
http://www.4xforum.com/?showcontent&global[_id]=301
Enjoy the shows!

Post #31347923rd Jun 2008 8:31 pm
stpierrewhite

South Africa 
Land Rover owners who hate ASTP White

heine wrote:
Depends if the whore is given a Puma for free . Then it will win hands down Laughing

Hi All.
Land Rover did not want to give me anything for my TV series. Why? I will tell you why. About six years ago I wrote that the Disco-2 was awful. And it was: Cramped, unstable, and terrible off-road because the traction-control didn't work properly. Land Rover SA then said (I imagine) that they would no longer support me. No more ads, no more vehicles, nothing. Meanwhile the journos who only dare to criticize the size of the glove box get all the deals and all the vehicles. As a result Land Rover owners labeled me a traitor, because I was a Land Rover lover once. If you want to see more Rovers in the shows, ask Land Rover to have a little more confidence in their own vehicles and then maybe they would worry less. Do you know there have been three tests comparing the Cruiser-70 and the Defender. The third was never published. Why. Because the Defender broke down before it reached the border! But nobody prints that do they? They turn on the honest reporter with a bit of not so nice news and it makes them feel better. Sorry if it offends. I do not hate Land Rovers at all! I hate the way in which so many SA magazines suck up to the advertisers. What I love is trying to inform about 4x4s in the most even handed way possible, and I do it with limited support from the manufacturers. And Heine, I would like to take you to task about your assumption that if I was given a Defender it would win hands down. I own a Land Cruiser: If anything, the Defender comes out better in the one-on-one test.
Andrew S White

Post #31348623rd Jun 2008 8:49 pm
robharvey

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Heine,

He's watching you Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

PS Welcome, Andrew Thumbs Up

Post #31360724th Jun 2008 5:53 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

And I'm not watching him Rolling Eyes

Post #31360924th Jun 2008 6:24 am
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Land Rover owners who hate ASTP White

The third was never published. Why. Because the Defender broke down before it reached the border! But nobody prints that do they? Ouch - that hurt .

What happened to the other test report ? I only saw the one in SA4X4
 Erstwhile - D3 S '07. Dual battery system. Upgraded tow hitch. Mantec skid plate. Frontrunner rr. Tmax double headed built in compressor

Defender TD5 110 CSW '00. "With everything" 

Post #31361624th Jun 2008 6:48 am
stpierrewhite

South Africa 
Anyway, I get my kicks with any 4x4. Doesn't have to be a LR

Heine, I don't know who you are, but you aren't the only one who can't stand me. That is what keeps things interesting. If everybody agreed with me, the audience would soon grow tired. Meanwhile I get to keep driving lots of 4x4s all over the place and make a damn reasonable living at it as well. Either way, if I drive a Toyota, the Land Rovers chaps don't like me, and if I drive a Rover, the Toyota guys don't care a damn, or if I drive a Merc G-Wagen (which I would prefer to drive) nobody comments. My programs are now being broadcast in the UK by, it looks like, two different networks and in the USA by a big cable channel and I have lots more channels really interested. So I must be pleasing somebody.

Post #31497927th Jun 2008 4:50 pm
Jonty

Kenya 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Andrew,
Which channels in the UK? I'm here for a few months......

Have you tested the Disco 3 and RRS yet?

(pic from Umbertob of rangerovers.net and rrsport.co.uk)
Cheers,
Jonty

Post #31506927th Jun 2008 9:02 pm
Doc

United States 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Guys

I have been following this thread for a few days and I suggest we bury the hacket on this topic as it is counter-productive to the spirit of this group. Maybe Heine and Andrew St P White can kiss and make up Whistle

Doc

Post #31548329th Jun 2008 2:10 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Andrew, gimme a call next time you are in JHB. You can have my D3 for a few days, and I will even fill up the tank and throw in a case of Zamalek

Post #3173093rd Jul 2008 8:27 pm
df

Hey Andrew

I have most of your DVD's and books and I also disagree with some of your statements, but nevertheless have you come across the articles of safety issues with the

Toyota Fortuner and Hiluxes? News24 commented on it - it's BAD and DANGEROUS

I also found another link - a video clip - this is VERY scary stuff.

http://www.teknikensvarld.se/tvtv/071031-toyota-hilux/

Click on the image to play.

I hope these issues can also be raised in your program as Toyota doesn't seem to give two hoots. The handling was so bad and to such an extent that my father rather drove my old Terrano on the dirt roads vs the new (3000km) Hilux. Rolling Eyes which he gave to me.

PS I've never had a Toyota or a Land Rover.

Post #3174384th Jul 2008 8:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >