Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Dealership & Sponsor Feedback

Bucking the market trend with sales
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Bucking the market trend with sales

Shukers (my local main LR dealer) announced that their sales in used vehicles have increased 40% over the last 3 months and they now have a short fall in used car stock.

The current trend nationally for used 4x4's is in decline... so I would guess that being a rural dealer and a very good dealer for sales and service... they are seeing some good business in return.

People obviously recognise that good value can now be obtained in the 2nd hand LR market even in these difficult times.

There is still a lot of interest in Freelander and Discovery too.

They stressed that they will continue to commit sponsoring local shows too.

So things are not all bad if yer a good dealer Thumbs Up

Post #40399617th Jan 2009 12:55 pm
Disco3newbie

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Farnells also seem to be moving used D3 and FL2. There twice before Xmas and each time there was a loader offloading D3's (all black 07plates) or FL2's

Post #40400517th Jan 2009 1:21 pm
Zermatt Vulgaris

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Seems to be the case from my experience of buying one last week, certain pockets of the country dealers reported lack of stock and the guy i've used in Farnell Guiseley said they'd had a very busy January .

Post #40403717th Jan 2009 3:10 pm
Jimbob Squarepants

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I was in Colliers Birmingham last week and the forecourt looked very barren, I'd guess there was about a dozen used cars there rather than the 30+ usually on show,
 Too much intellectual firepower can damage your common sense.  
Post #40405117th Jan 2009 3:59 pm
Pelyma

England 

I've heard a few dealers say sales have been ok especially on second hand stuff
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #40408017th Jan 2009 5:30 pm
741hcr

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Stratstone in Cheltenham also have very few used cars avaialble. I assumed it was as a result of reducing the capital tied up in stock but as per previous reports, they too said used car sales in December and January had been very good and the problem was getting good used vehicles to sell.

Post #40408917th Jan 2009 5:53 pm
WTO

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

In purchasing an 8 month old XS in November the sales guy at the local dealership was very open in saying that as new vehicle sales were few and far between they had adopted a policy of selling good used vehicles at keen prices in order to survive. This was proving to be very effective. On the weekend that we purchased our vehicle they sold six cars and they were on the outlook for more. They were looking for customers who wanted to sell cars for cash as their usual sources of near new vehicles had dried up. They had also extended their limits on age and price of used vehicles in stock with for example a mint condition 2001 Defender on the list which had sold by the time we collected our car.

In revisiting the dealership recently I noticed that the stock compound was only half full. The inside of the showroom had a high proportion of used cars on display with a manager's special in the spotlight. Our sales guy again mentioned that their biggest problem was securing enough secondhand vehicles to sell.

Following on from this I also notice in the various car supermarket advertisements that there are few LR or RR vehicles listed which would reinforce the shortage comments.

Post #40410817th Jan 2009 6:47 pm
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

I went to Beadles Sidcup last week and their used stock was a lot less than normal - they also told me new sales had 'not been as bad as expected' whatever that might mean

Not really on-topic but I seem to feel there are a lot of 'new' D3 owners over the last month or so joing the site and also quite a few enquiries on here for used vehicles.

Post #40417317th Jan 2009 8:56 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

I guess one of the reasons is that the dealerships, coming to the end of the financial year (for most dec) have effectively "written off" a certain percentage of money on what second hand stock they have, thus being able to offer very attractive deals on nearly new vehicles in Nov/Dec/Jan.

An example of this was one of my german sports car franchised dealerships wrote off £52,000 on their used car stock in Dec and of course are now feeling the effects of dwindling stock to buy.

Another factor is also that the most "ex-management" cars came through the dealership network around the same period, often discounted anticipating a continued slowdown as all dealerships reported for Sept/Oct.

Even my premium sports car dealerships are reporting brisk buisness for Dec/Jan on nearly new and up to 4 year old stock.

So in summary, if yer in the market to buy a new disco3, you've missed your slot, good news is that in around late Feb dealerships will be able to tap in to "pre-registered" 58 platers with delivery mileage only that the manufacturer has registered and will be selling off to the dealership networks around March/April/May, so be patient and watch the dealership forecourts for increased vehicle numbers BUT PRICES WILL BE FIRMER Thumbs Up

Post #40440218th Jan 2009 11:46 am
Dexter

Scotland 

Aberdeen dealer (T&C) ran an article in the local Depressing Journal that they too were experiencing very high sales for the time of year. They have a used car 'sales event' on this week and a lot of the 3 - 18 month old D3s they had advertised are marked as sold. I enquired about a 58 plate SE auto which was stickered at £28k Shocked but it had alreday gone.

Dex.

Post #40731122nd Jan 2009 4:13 pm
stevejhunt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Isn't this whole thing part of the issue with the Credit Crunch? Consumer confidence and access to cheap available credit has fallen as a result of the banking crisis and so we don't/can't spend ergo prices fall as Retailers try to maintain cash flow because banks won't lend to them either. Consumers with the wherwithal to access funds move in when they believe the optimum purchase price reduction has been achieved.

Many consumers have become heartily sick of losing thousands on new car purchases and now look for someone else (business?) to take the initial hit on depreciation and buy a pre-loved warrantied vehicle that's had all the gremlins ironed out.

I for one seemed destined to another used Freebie until the market slumped and I was able to get into a D3 for the same money.

Like others I've noticed the number of used vehicles on my local dealers forecourt has dropped considerably since Xmas.
 I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member...........

06 Buck Blue Disco 3 TDV6
84 Marine Blue Series 3 2.25 petrol
06 Silver Audi A4 Cabriolet (the wife's baby) 

Post #40734322nd Jan 2009 5:08 pm
SN

stevejhunt wrote:
Consumers with the wherwithal to access funds move in when they believe the optimum purchase price reduction has been achieved.

Correct - speaking to GS Stockport this week they did say they thought that perhaps you wouldn't see prices/deals around again as good as right now. LR cutting supply to the UK market (but overall production being held up by other markets) would see demand start to strip supply and prices would fall no further (or even better)
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #40736322nd Jan 2009 5:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >