Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Squeak now driving me crazy!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
garyr

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Squeak now driving me crazy!

I have aquired one of those drastic annoying squeaks that has got to the point that most journeys over 50mph its going!
Sounds like a mouse, squeak squeak, squeaksqueaksqueak, squeaksqueak - drives you nuts. Its pretty loud to.

I have read a few threads on subject and can confirm that it sounds like it is coming from under the steering wheel.

It is not:

1) Seat - bounched around and done all sorts - does not affect the outcome
2) A pillar - although its not perfect I have taped it down and still get the squeak - no difference

I am convinced it is coming from the knee area panel and tried to take it off tonight to look but only suceeded in breaking the top right clip that holds it in. I noticed it is connected to lower trim that reaches the centre console. This does seem loose. For the life of me though I cannot imagine anything that would make this noise??

Any ideas - LR must be aware of this????

I will probably go back to the dealer. I did mention it before but they said they found nothing.

I am getting somewhat frustrated with the dealer here. I also still have a fault where the car says there is a transmission fault and lowers suspension, HDC fault and tell me all the gears might not work - all at the same time. Dealer also told me that they had cleared the fault only for it to have returned promptly this weekend. Its pretty dangerous as well. Doing 70mph in the outside lane you have to pull over and stop the car, turn off ignition and start the car again. It usually clears the fault but not what you expect from a 40K car.

Squeaking is most annoying though!!

Cheers
G
 56 Tonga Green HSE.  
Post #49461412th Jul 2009 7:37 pm
garyr

No ideas anyone - he says with a desperate attempt to get post noticed Smile

Cheers
G
 56 Tonga Green HSE.  
Post #49486613th Jul 2009 9:52 am
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Re: Squeak now driving me crazy!

garyr wrote:

I am getting somewhat frustrated with the dealer here. I also still have a fault where the car says there is a transmission fault and lowers suspension, HDC fault and tell me all the gears might not work - all at the same time. Dealer also told me that they had cleared the fault only for it to have returned promptly this weekend. Its pretty dangerous as well. Doing 70mph in the outside lane you have to pull over and stop the car, turn off ignition and start the car again. It usually clears the fault but not what you expect from a 40K car.

Can't offer any input re the squeak unfortunately Sad

The issue you describe above though has been often linked to a low battery voltage. Are you doing lots of short runs that would perhaps mean the battery is not getting a full charge. It's a very simple thing to check and low voltage can affect the systems on the D3 quite significantly.

Hope that helps Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #49486913th Jul 2009 9:57 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Here's an idea. Check the plastic panel that clips on the front of the drivers seat, under the squab. When I move my seat to limit of its travel, the panel pops off its clips and makes a sqeeking noise. It took me a while to find it.

Post #49487513th Jul 2009 10:20 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

I had an annoying squeak that sounded like is was from the passenger footwell. It turned out it was coming from from the plastic surround the holds the front interior light Shocked removed it reseated it and all was OK.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #49487613th Jul 2009 10:26 am
garyr

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

I have just got off the phone from the dealers so booked in for the 22nd now. Last time it was in they checked battery voltage and said it was ok. I also replaced a non OEM bulb as these can cause issues.

The squeak is the most frustrating thing. Ill check the seat thanks Gareth and light surround thanks Andy.

Feedback is good thought because i will create a checklist of feedback for them to check as well!!

Cheers
G
 56 Tonga Green HSE.  
Post #49488013th Jul 2009 10:44 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >