Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

The fantastic strength of the Discovery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Dave T

England 
The fantastic strength of the Discovery

Picture the scene, its a nice bright winters day just before Christmas, I am stationary, sat in the queue for a space in an open air car park with people in front stopped waiting on somebody reversing out. All of a sudden there is an almighty crash and it feels like the earth has moved for me, in fact it has, some dodery old p Censored k has just reversed out, straight into me. Guess whose fault it is accourding to said p Censored k ........................... you guessed it, mine! Why? because he was coming out to let someone else in and i must have come round the back. After I had vented my spline at him Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad and he saw the error of his ways, I mean how do you not see a bloody great gold Discovery sat behind you on a nice bright day, I had a look at the damage, his bumper is badly dented and the paint is a real mess, mine ......... it looks (fingers are really crossed here at the moment) like I may need a plastic clip or two that holds the plastic wheel arch on. The force really was that violent that I was expecting a crater the size of the moon there, the car did actually move sideways on the road.

So big Thumbs Up to Landrover you sure do make them tough.

Now for a trip to the dealer just to get checked out.

Post #56360711th Dec 2009 2:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Imagine what happened to the Punto that reversed into RLD's finest: Whistle

[/img]
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #56361011th Dec 2009 2:34 pm
bigfatsi

England 

OT - Tough vehicles to be sure but if you really want to make someone regret their lack of attention then a Defender probably just pips the D3. That solid steel rear crossmember is a real euro box killer! Not long ago I had a lady hit me as I waited to get on a roundabout. She was obviously looking right for a gap and lost me out of her peripheral vision only to find me again when she tried to nip out! Her car (think it was a megane) lost the bumper, both headlights, bonnet, radiator and all the associated bits. Mine: Scratched paint (self applied hammerite). No-one hurt as it was a maximum 5mph impact. I didn't take her details as I think she had enough to deal with! lol

Anyway, back on topic - Pleased to hear no-one was hurt. Worrying thing is that if he can't see a bloomin' great D3 in his mirror, what chance has any poor pedestrian - especially in a car park?! Shocked You've probably done the world a favour by taking him off the road (even if only for a few hours whilst he get's it fixed! lol

Simon

Post #56364311th Dec 2009 4:02 pm
SpiderBaby
D3 Decade 

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

A couple of years back a muppet rolled back on a hill into our old Series II that had a front mounted tow hitch (for the boat..).

Despite being warned the gobby little toad decided to drive off - it was so much fun when the rear bumper came off Rolling with laughter
 I see no ships........  
Post #56364411th Dec 2009 4:03 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Make sure your wheel alignment is spot on (get his insurance to pay for it) as your wheel may have taken the force to push it sideways?

Sorry to hear of your bash, but yes, they do make em solid Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #56364611th Dec 2009 4:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I'd second Bodsy's point - for a 'tough' vehicle it's amazing how easily the alignment can be thrown...
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #56364811th Dec 2009 4:04 pm
Dave T

England 

Just had the quote in for repairs to my minor scratches, £400, hate to see the other guys quote.

Make that £450 with the alignment check, lucky its his insurance and not me thats paying or it really would be Big Cry Big Cry

Post #56367711th Dec 2009 5:14 pm
IainC

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Have a mate who ran into the rear of a landie one time (he thought they were pulling out the junction and thought he had time to follow... only the landie driver decided NOT to go so he piled into the rear of it)... he did IIRC over £6k of damage to his Impreza STi, and the landie driver *thought* he noticed a smudge on the rear bumper of his landie Laughing

Post #56393511th Dec 2009 11:21 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I can still remember the impressive noise of a drunk driver failing to spot my dad's 12 seater white Safari, which was parked outside whilst we were enjoying Christmas lunch. By the time we got outside the t*55er had driven his newly created heap to the end of the road, complete with various fluids (mainly from the car but no doubt he made a contribution) spraying over the road so the Revenue Collectors, oh, no, sorry they were Police back then, had something to follow. I loved his turn into traffic...it was so spectacular with his car being too damaged to turn so he ended up nice and safe waiting in a hedge.

The transmission brake on the land rover ensured that the wheels stayed stationary, so there were 4 foot long black lines behind the tyres. That was literally the only sign our car had been in an accident, with only the other cars glass, oil, water, brake fluid and bumper showing that this was where it had all happened.

In fairness the old Volvo's were just as solid. I was shunted hard by a metro whilst waiting for the lights. I got out all ready for a go but noticed there was just a single scratch on my bumper ( Volvo bumpers used to be a box beam mounted on hydraulic shocks). I actually smiled when I saw the metro; a perfect profile of the back end of the Volvo Laughing
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #56404012th Dec 2009 11:46 am
DefenderKen

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

...does bring to mind that old saying:

The crumple zone on a Landrover is the other car.

Keep safe people.

Cheers
 57 Discovery SE / 58 VW Passatt Highline Tdi 140 / 06 Kawasaki ZX6-R

Retired: Defender 90 300tdi / Defender 110 TDi / Defender 90 Tdci 

Post #56406612th Dec 2009 1:04 pm
jonboy1968

United Kingdom 

Similar thing happend to me a couple of weeks ago, young lass in Fiat Punto ran into the back of me. Literaly not a scratch on mine.

Punto written off.

Post #56407912th Dec 2009 1:47 pm
Harvoy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I got pushed up the central reservation the other day by a BMW driver on the phone, (he did not even slow down!) The impact with the kerb forced both tires off the rims!!!! Luckily, there was enough pressure left in them to get to a tyre shop, who just took both of them off the rims to get all the mud and grass out of the bead.
I am really glad I was in my D3, a lesser car would have been wrecked, IMHO. Do you think it wise it get the alignment done? How much is that likely to set me back and where should i get it done?
 56 plate Zermatt Silve  
Post #56409212th Dec 2009 3:17 pm
foofighter

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

DefenderKen wrote:
...does bring to mind that old saying:

The crumple zone on a Landrover is the other car.

Keep safe people.

Cheers

I love that saying...i will now incorporate that into my sig LOL
 -Greetz, Duan  
Post #56576016th Dec 2009 12:16 am
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

I've watched someone in mid-row with family storm into car, check over left shoulder and reverse hard into the car that had a slight overlap with the right bumper... That really helped his temper, you can imagine. Meanwhile a friend had a similar experience to the OP - queue round car park, someone reversed out of space straight into the side of her. It was a Citroen C8 people carrier - they're b Censored y enormous! How do you not see one of those?! Another friend came back from a business trip to find his car NOT outside the house where he'd left it. A few frantic calls later, it was located in the council pound where it had been removed for being "parked" on the pavement. He eventually found out the guy opposite had got a bit keen coming out of the drive and hit him hard enough to fold the kerb-side wheels under the car...*

Moral? It happens, live with it - but always get the car thoroughly checked (at their insurer's expense) just in case there is some hidden damage.

* this one worked out nicely in the end - he bought our old Peugeot with the insurance money and we bought our first Disco, a D1 Laughing

Post #56616116th Dec 2009 10:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >