Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

brake suppliers?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
stevep

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
brake suppliers?

at the weekend I was on a trip to the seaside in my D3V8HSE when I felt a funny vibration from the rear, I thought it may be a puncture but when i stopped to have a look the left rear brake disc was really hot, I could feel it on my face. So obviously binding brakes and prob warped disc, which suddenly made sense as I've noticed a bit of a squeak recently and the car has been slowing down unusually quickly when I lift off.

Anyway, quick pop into local indy produced horror stories of broken handbrake shoes preventing disc removal and requiring EPB module cables to be cut (new module £540) etc etc so I ran away and had a look myself.. shoes fine, just sticky caliper, wound it in and out a few times but no improvement when refitted, so took off again and blew out piston with compressed air (ended up 20 feet away Embarassed ), buffed it all up and refitted, worked fine!

But I'm treating it as a temporary repair... I noticed the front discs are thin, so I'm thinking of doing all 4 corners, rotors and pads, with a new caliper on the left rear at least.

Any recommendations for suppliers of reasonable cost quality parts? The indy quoted me £140+vat for an OEM caliper (plus £50 core charge)

And is this a DIY job?- I read about losing fluid above some module or other meant a diagnostic tool re-prime, but if I clamp the hoses so I don't lose much fluid it should be ok, yes? I used one of those gunson spare-tyre bleeder things which seemed to work ok on the far corner..

Post #17998714th Apr 2017 7:30 pm
Sydney

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Site sponsor Advanced Factors for parts.

I recently refurbed my OSR caliper with a new piston and its been fine ever since.

Just under £17 for the parts including new bleed nipple and copper washers for the banjo.

http://www.advancedfactors.co.uk//brake-pa...3-11-c.asp

As for bleeding, if you clamp the flexi hose near the caliper there's very little bleeding to do.
 De-Tango
V8 Brakes
EGRs blanked
Running boards
3 flash indicators and clock on dash
Blingy grille... 

Post #17998764th Apr 2017 7:37 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Surely if they cant get the disc/drum off the easiest way would be the 9 inch grinder, saves the EPB module and the cables etc?

Post #17999104th Apr 2017 8:20 pm
stevep

yep I did think there must be a better way than chopping the cables.. but if you're not the one paying for it, I guess easiest method wins!

So I've just been on Advanced Factors website, their calipers are only £60 but now that I've seen how simple they are to do I'm tempted to just get the refurb parts as you did sydney.. pistons are £3.97 !

So all 4 discs, pads all round, and all shims & screws, plus parts to refurb both rear calipers with seals, pistons, bleed screws, and new sliders comes in at £260+vat... (front calipers I think I'll leave for now- refurbing 2 pots isn't quite as competitive when the new caliper is only £70 and anyway mine are working ok)

Any other suggestions or are AF the best bet?

Post #17999194th Apr 2017 8:33 pm
stevep

just went ahead ordered the above from AF, fingers crossed it'll all go on without too many problems..

thanks for the recommendation

Post #17999564th Apr 2017 9:24 pm
Apache

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

You won't go wrong with AF. I'm buying a kit car from them part by part (or that's how it feels at times!)

Post #18000484th Apr 2017 11:33 pm
stevep

Bodsy's Bible

So I fitted the discs, pads, shoes, and refurbed the calipers on the rear yesterday- with a prayer and the Bible printed out it went smoothly, took about 3 hours including 20 mins on just one of those spring/pin things on the shoes.

I've never really felt confident in the EPB working properly so never use it, but after doing the bedding in routine and feeling the car stop purely on the handbrake 10 times, i won't hesitate in future.

The main reason for doing the work to the rear, despite the discs and pads not being too bad, was a strange rubbing noise for the past few days. I suspected impending EPB break-up but It turned out that the metal loop that guides the handbrake cable to the hub had broken off, so the noise was the sheath of the cable rubbing on the inner tyre. Obviously I discovered this as soon as the wheel came off, so I probably didn't actually need to change everything, but since I had already bought it and the MOT is soon I thought I may as well get it all working nice.

Refurbing the calipers was easy- I used a brush in a grinder to remove all the crud and rust, they didn't look nice and shiny but I'm not one for caliper-pimping, they just need to work. Pistons, seals, gaiters, bleed nipples, sliders, all new for a few quid and about 15 mins each.

Fronts tomorrow! Thanks Bodsy! Thumbs Up

Post #18012338th Apr 2017 6:27 am
stevep

Post #18012348th Apr 2017 6:35 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >