Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Blue smoke on start up.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
yudig

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Blue smoke on start up.

Hello All. Has anyone experienced a problem with excessive blue smoke on start up and especially so when cold?

My D4 3.0 TDV6 does this and the smoke is accompanied by a smell of unburned diesel. This fault has been ongoing since October-ish last year. The car will be one year old in a couple of days and has covered less than 8000 miles!

Its had a replacement turbo - which has been referenced elsewhere on the forum - however the symptoms described in that thread were related to excessive smoke under acceleration. The replacement was done under the tech bulletin issued earlier this year.

I have on approx 4 seperate occasions experienced a very large cloud of white smoke emitted from the exhaust under acceleration. It was so bad I noticed the car behind actually swerve in attempt to avoid the smoke!

I'm really concerned that I have a significant fault with the car that will most likely come to fruition the day after the warranty expires.

The car is currently with the dealer who is instructed by LR tech to do run cycles in a bid to burn off residual oil. I don't believe its a residual oil problem, however I'm no expert. I've not witnessed the start up lately (I've not seen the car for nearly two weeks) but from the description given by the service manager it aint getting any better. The dealer has had the exhaust off, I'm told, and it does not appear to be contaminated with oil.

This is the third attempt at rectifying the fault. the dealer is now suggesting that this could be a trait of the car/engine ("They all do that Sir"), which I don't accept. I'm now considering rejecting the car!!!

Anyone have any similar experience or thoughts on the probable cause?

Post #77485216th Mar 2011 1:04 am
ChrisA

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

This might be worth a read?

http://forum.landrovernet.com/showthread.p...2007-Disco

Post #77496216th Mar 2011 12:39 pm
yudig

Thanks ChrisA. Looked at the reference.
I'm planning on meeting with dealer tomorrow.
I don't think they fully understand the fault and I suspect that LR don't either. The dealer says he has requested a field engineer/techy to attend to the car. Seems like it could be a while before he turns up.
I've spoken with LR customer support. it seems like they are in a different space-time continuum. All the info they have seems to be about two days behind what the dealer tells me.
My previous Disco 3 never had this issue.

Post #77556517th Mar 2011 10:45 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

You are (unfortunately) not alone with this problem - read this thread as an example.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #77562517th Mar 2011 11:57 pm
yudig

Thanks for the heads-up.

oooohhh dear!

That is a great thread with some really good info from forum users. I suspect I'm in the same league here.

My problem however is far more noticeable on start up and I believe especially so during cold ambient temps. This is true for >90% of the time however there are ocassions when I have observed the blue smoke at +8C (typical Scottish summers).

I have observed the clouds of smoke on a handful of occasions and under similar driving conditions (brisk acceleration) but primarily my problem is most apparent on cold starts.

I have asked for old-skool diagnostics to be done. Please check the glow plugs, please check the injectors, please check the compressions. All on deaf ears. Unless the LR gods approve, it wont get done. We now live in an age where when the "computer says no" then nowt gets looked at. Fools! Not all engine parameters are monitored.

I've run Landys for years. I know a bit about engines. Diesel not burning properly can result in various hues. I maintain that the (my) problem is still not understood. Either that or I'm being fobbed off.

The service manger I am dealing with suggested this may be a "characteristic".
I asked him what he would do, if considering buying a Disco 4, he observed a plume of blue smoke on start up.
His response was that he would walk away and look at other Discos.
I then asked what he would do if the other Discos did the same.
Silence.
I suggested that he would buy a Mitsubishi.
Silence.
Unless LR get this sorted it will damage their already fragile reputation. It could also result in loss of consumer confidence and sales.
Just a thought. When you decide to trade in, what allowances (deductions) do you think will be made should this become a bigger and common issue?

Time for a Mitsi?

Post #77563518th Mar 2011 2:01 am
yudig

A techy type Land Rover chap has apparently assessed my D4. Initial informal discussions with the dealer, who was reitterating the techy guys assessment, suggest that the problem is indeed diesel related rather than oil.

However I was then subsequently told that the official line (formal report pending) is that plumes of blue smoke on start up are "normal".

Anyone had success in rejecting a car. I'm told that there is a strong case for doing so here. The problem will be getting LR to acknowledge the fault.

P.S. Thank you DrLex.

Post #78056531st Mar 2011 12:09 am
747_JK

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi yudig

As the originator of the thread linked above, I'd suggest bypassing the dealer if you feel they can do no more for you at this stage, and drop a letter to Land Rover's Customer Relationship Centre. When I first had occasion to contact them, they responded to my letter within 24 hrs:

Customer Relationship Centre
Abbey Road
Whitley
Coventry
CV3 4LH

Unfortunately - or fortunately for you - since it appears there are several instances of cars with this "blue smoke" problem around the world, you might find they can offer a more detailed fix than simple the turbo replacement you mentioned. There may now be other things they can organise - I'm aware there are software updates too. Not sure if you had those...

Also, if you register with LR in writing that you are concerned over more serious problems with the car's engine, you may find you are in a better position should something serious happen the day after your warranty expired etc. Hence I'd ensure you have the audit trail of comms with the OEM recorded.

To be fair, whilst my issue did lead to a complete engine failure when the car was 11 months old and circa 14k miles, it has since been running very smoothly and without any hint of the old smoke problem since I got it back from the dealer late-Jan. And the LR CRC have been very good in following up with me to check how things are running in recent weeks.

Good luck with the issue. I hope it get resolves.
 747_JK
"Moab is my happy place"
2019 Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE
2015 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - SOLD
2010 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE with a serious smoking habit - SOLD 

Post #78088131st Mar 2011 8:41 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

When they changed the turbo did they also change the Secondary turbocharger recirculation valve and shut-off valve, seen in figure 7 in the picture below.

Do you know if you have had oil contamination in the airbox ?

Pete

Click image to enlarge

Post #78095131st Mar 2011 10:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >