Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

engine missing a beat
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
allforus

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
engine missing a beat

During recent journeys my D4 has missed hesitated while crusing not enough to slow down but it appears to the engine justs cuts out for a split second may happen once or twice and then not again on the journey. I thought it might be the DPF burn off but not sure any ideas.

Post #78887023rd Apr 2011 7:13 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Sorry no, no pdf on mine had one on another car and nothing but trouble so avoided it, not had issues of cutting out either.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #78887623rd Apr 2011 7:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MJIbex

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Were you very low on fuel? If so this is to alert you to this fact before the engine shuts down.

Mark.

Post #7917272nd May 2011 12:07 am
LiftedDisco

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

Mnnn...

Let's try with my 'symptoms' and see where we end up...

I sometimes feel as if it is 'flat' at anywhere between 60 and 75 - everytime that it happens, I think that I'll ring the dealer but it seems a bit wishy washy to say 'something's not right...'

Vehicle info - it's a 2011MY, 245BHP 3.0L Commercial with just over 6,000 miles on it. BP Ultimate from new.

Any similarities?

Anyone else?
 D4 Commercial - 65 Plate, 2016MY

D5 Commercial - Handed back when I left that job…
D4 Commercial (2014MY) - gone
D4 Commercial SDV6 - Baltic Blue (also gone)
D1 300TDi... 2" lift, HD bumpers (both), detachable tow hitch, 9,500lb winch, 235/85/16 muds and plenty of other toys (gone to make way for the next toy...)

Smiles per Mile - Tornado Motorsports caged Evo 3... 100" Defender look-alike, with Range Rover running gear - all fully IVA'd and registered! 

Post #7938207th May 2011 5:50 am
Matt R

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Mines the same...
Exactly the same, 2011 3.0 Commercial in light blue.

Only done 2.5k miles so far, but was thinking of taking to the dealer due to hesitation and flat spot at 2500rpm.

List of symptoms :
Rough starting - lumpy for the first couple of seconds (intermittent).
Loud wastgate noise during acceleration
Rough hot idle after long journey - feels like it runs on 4 or 5 cylinders and rocks car.
Big flatspot around 2500rpm on motorway (70-80mph), also mpg at 70mph is c. 28mpg, whereas 85mph is about 22 mpg...
Jerky gearbox, which may be due to the engine's random performance.

Otherwise very happy with it, expect handling is very dull with the overactive stability control compared to the D3.

Any advice appreciated.

Post #79540911th May 2011 2:43 pm
LiftedDisco

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

Have also sent this as a PM to the OP as this topic seems fairly old now and not sure how often they check back on here - the 'symptoms' described appeared to be exactly the same as mine and I thought everyone might appreciate an update.

First step was to ring the local dealer who couldn't have been less interested - their approach was along the lines that they couldn't trace anything unless it had shown 'reduced power' warnings and all but patted me on the head with a, "yes Sir, crap driver Sir..." approach.

I then rang the supplying dealer who is much further away and explained my concerns - "We'll come and pick it up and leave you with a vehicle..."

Apparently there was a 'trapped pipe' - the dealer reckoned that it was a vacuum pipe to the compressor which sounds totally illogical to me but who am I to argue?

Anyhow, now sorted, car is back to flying around and the fuel consumption appears to be back up where it is tolerable...

Hope this helps...
 D4 Commercial - 65 Plate, 2016MY

D5 Commercial - Handed back when I left that job…
D4 Commercial (2014MY) - gone
D4 Commercial SDV6 - Baltic Blue (also gone)
D1 300TDi... 2" lift, HD bumpers (both), detachable tow hitch, 9,500lb winch, 235/85/16 muds and plenty of other toys (gone to make way for the next toy...)

Smiles per Mile - Tornado Motorsports caged Evo 3... 100" Defender look-alike, with Range Rover running gear - all fully IVA'd and registered! 

Post #81233829th Jun 2011 7:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >